Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Best Amd build for virtualization, video editing , gaming ?

Last response: in Systems
Share
May 4, 2013 12:16:14 AM

hello guys

friend of mine ask me what is the best PC you can build ? amd build , he wants to build a system for virtualization, video editing , gaming ?

which components is good for him ?
Cpu:
Cpu cooler: he doesn't want water cooling
MotherBoard :
Gpu:
Psu:
Ram:
best case for cooling :

Approximate Purchase Date : next month
Overclocking : no
SLI or Crossfire: not now
Budget Range : 2000$

i mean by "virtualization" he used vmware workstation alot
Any suggestions
a b 4 Gaming
May 4, 2013 12:36:51 AM

If you're going that high-end, AMD CPUs aren't really the best option. Is your friend willing to consider using an Intel processor?
May 4, 2013 12:50:06 AM

hi Jack Revenant

he consider using AMD Cpu because of AMD 8 Core and he said it is good Especially for virtualization and gaming but he doesn't know aboult how is this cpu good for video editing.
sorry for my English , it's not my native language,
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
May 4, 2013 1:01:50 AM

raedov said:
hi Jack Revenant

he consider using AMD Cpu because of AMD 8 Core and he said it is good Especially for virtualization and gaming but he doesn't know aboult how is this cpu good for video editing.
sorry for my English , it's not my native language,


The FX 8350 is an acceptable CPU for its price range (though not as good as the Intel Core i5-3570k), but AMD doesn't really have any high-end offerings, and what it does offer is often price-inefficient.

Your English is fine. Honestly, I tend to find it amusing when people who speak English as a second language apologize for the quality of their speech, given that many people who speak it as a first language absolutely mangle it.
a b 4 Gaming
May 4, 2013 1:06:54 AM

Noob12 said:
Intel it must be for video editing. Like this:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/UUBi
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/UUBi/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/UUBi/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($499.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 CPU Cooler ($80.80 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus P9X79 ATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($239.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($134.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($219.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($127.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 4GB Video Card ($419.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1838.72
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-05-04 03:41 EDT-0400)
This PSU +120$ : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
+ operating system ~80-140$ depending what OS user wants to use.

Other option for case. http://anidees.com/en/products.html I like this case a lot, looks really nice.


I would tend to view the 3930k as slight overkill, though I admit that I'm not sure how intensive virtualization is.
May 4, 2013 1:24:50 AM

Jack Revenant said:
raedov said:
hi Jack Revenant

he consider using AMD Cpu because of AMD 8 Core and he said it is good Especially for virtualization and gaming but he doesn't know aboult how is this cpu good for video editing.
sorry for my English , it's not my native language,


The FX 8350 is an acceptable CPU for its price range (though not as good as the Intel Core i5-3570k), but AMD doesn't really have any high-end offerings, and what it does offer is often price-inefficient.

Your English is fine. Honestly, I tend to find it amusing when people who speak English as a second language apologize for the quality of their speech, given that many people who speak it as a first language absolutely mangle it.


i see , he used vmware workstaion to install Red Hat and learn about it , also he is making tutorials about linux sometimes and try linux distro ,, etc , he spent 3 hours per a day for linux

i know a lot of words in English also i can talk but my problem with grammer :D 
a b 4 Gaming
May 4, 2013 1:27:49 AM

raedov said:
Jack Revenant said:
raedov said:
hi Jack Revenant

he consider using AMD Cpu because of AMD 8 Core and he said it is good Especially for virtualization and gaming but he doesn't know aboult how is this cpu good for video editing.
sorry for my English , it's not my native language,


The FX 8350 is an acceptable CPU for its price range (though not as good as the Intel Core i5-3570k), but AMD doesn't really have any high-end offerings, and what it does offer is often price-inefficient.

Your English is fine. Honestly, I tend to find it amusing when people who speak English as a second language apologize for the quality of their speech, given that many people who speak it as a first language absolutely mangle it.


i see , he used vmware workstaion to install Red Hat and learn about it , also he is making tutorials about linux sometimes and try linux distro ,, etc like that

i know a lot of words in English also i can talk but my problem with grammer :D 


Grammar for foreign languages is always difficult. You're having to completely reorder sentences relative to what they would be in your native tongue.
a b 4 Gaming
May 4, 2013 1:29:02 AM

Noob12 said:

For video editing you really do not need GPU like that 650/660 is fine. What you need is memory 32GB is not overkill, it is good to have.
Better have 2x SSD to raid 0 and one smaller SSD for cashing. Then it also good to have one HDD to material what you have not been edited and one for edited material. This makes read and write speeds go much faster. Also it is better to have raid set for HDD:s.
GPU is only needed for gaming. No real benefit in video editing work. Depending what programs are used.
Look here some specks: http://www.videoguys.com/Guide/E/Videoguys+System+recom...
Cheaper option is take intel xeon 1230V2 and B-75 or H-77 Mother Board. But if this build is for proffessional work. Then best way to go is 2011 3930K



He intends to game in addition to video editing and virtualization. Thus, a strong GPU is needed.
May 4, 2013 1:32:14 AM

Noob12 said:
Intel it must be for video editing. Like this:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/UUBi
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/UUBi/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/UUBi/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($499.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 CPU Cooler ($80.80 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus P9X79 ATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($239.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($134.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($219.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($127.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 4GB Video Card ($419.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1838.72
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-05-04 03:41 EDT-0400)
This PSU +120$ : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
+ operating system ~80-140$ depending what OS user wants to use.

Other option for case. http://anidees.com/en/products.html I like this case a lot, looks really nice.

For video editing you really do not need GPU like that 650/660 is fine. What you need is memory 32GB is not overkill, it is good to have.
Better have 2x SSD to raid 0 and one smaller SSD for cashing. Then it also good to have one HDD to material what you have not been edited and one for edited material. This makes read and write speeds go much faster. Also it is better to have raid set for HDD:s.
GPU is only needed for gaming. No real benefit in video editing work. Depending what programs are used.
Look here some specks: http://www.videoguys.com/Guide/E/Videoguys+System+recom...
Cheaper option is take intel xeon 1230V2 and B-75 or H-77 Mother Board. But if this build is for proffessional work. Then best way to go is 2011 3930K




good tips , thank you Noob12 , i appreciate your help
a b 4 Gaming
May 4, 2013 1:43:33 AM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($234.98 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H77-DS3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($95.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($106.25 @ Newegg)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($119.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($363.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($98.98 @ Outlet PC)
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk III 750W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1298.11
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-05-04 04:43 EDT-0400)

Or this power supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
May 4, 2013 1:47:54 AM

Jack Revenant said:
raedov said:
Jack Revenant said:
raedov said:
hi Jack Revenant

he consider using AMD Cpu because of AMD 8 Core and he said it is good Especially for virtualization and gaming but he doesn't know aboult how is this cpu good for video editing.
sorry for my English , it's not my native language,


The FX 8350 is an acceptable CPU for its price range (though not as good as the Intel Core i5-3570k), but AMD doesn't really have any high-end offerings, and what it does offer is often price-inefficient.

Your English is fine. Honestly, I tend to find it amusing when people who speak English as a second language apologize for the quality of their speech, given that many people who speak it as a first language absolutely mangle it.


i see , he used vmware workstaion to install Red Hat and learn about it , also he is making tutorials about linux sometimes and try linux distro ,, etc like that

i know a lot of words in English also i can talk but my problem with grammer :D 


Grammar for foreign languages is always difficult. You're having to completely reorder sentences relative to what they would be in your native tongue.


first time i Leann a word was in McDonald's , i don't know anything at all , and i was very Hungary
i don't know what they call "meal size" , small size - big size ,, etc , my friend said to me just say i need big tasty cow size *_* i don't even know what is the cow means! They laughed too loud

back to the topic , which is better windows 8 pro or windows 7
a b 4 Gaming
May 4, 2013 1:59:09 AM

raedov said:
Jack Revenant said:
raedov said:
Jack Revenant said:
raedov said:
hi Jack Revenant

he consider using AMD Cpu because of AMD 8 Core and he said it is good Especially for virtualization and gaming but he doesn't know aboult how is this cpu good for video editing.
sorry for my English , it's not my native language,


The FX 8350 is an acceptable CPU for its price range (though not as good as the Intel Core i5-3570k), but AMD doesn't really have any high-end offerings, and what it does offer is often price-inefficient.

Your English is fine. Honestly, I tend to find it amusing when people who speak English as a second language apologize for the quality of their speech, given that many people who speak it as a first language absolutely mangle it.


i see , he used vmware workstaion to install Red Hat and learn about it , also he is making tutorials about linux sometimes and try linux distro ,, etc like that

i know a lot of words in English also i can talk but my problem with grammer :D 


Grammar for foreign languages is always difficult. You're having to completely reorder sentences relative to what they would be in your native tongue.


first time i Leann a word was in McDonald's , i don't know anything at all , and i was very Hungary
i don't know what they call "meal size" , small size - big size ,, etc , my friend said to me just say i need big tasty cow size *_* i don't even know what is the cow means! They laughed too loud

back to the topic , which is better windows 8 pro or windows 7


Given that it was a McDonald's, they were probably not used to receiving such a cohertent answer. :p 

Windows 8, to my understanding, has a lighter load on the system. As a result, you'll get more performance out of the same parts. That said, the interface is said to be less than excellent.
May 4, 2013 2:00:13 AM

Marcopolo123 said:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($234.98 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H77-DS3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($95.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($106.25 @ Newegg)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($119.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($363.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($98.98 @ Outlet PC)
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk III 750W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1298.11
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-05-04 04:43 EDT-0400)

Or this power supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Thanks, Bro
May 4, 2013 2:10:09 AM

Jack Revenant said:
raedov said:
Jack Revenant said:
raedov said:
Jack Revenant said:
raedov said:
hi Jack Revenant

he consider using AMD Cpu because of AMD 8 Core and he said it is good Especially for virtualization and gaming but he doesn't know aboult how is this cpu good for video editing.
sorry for my English , it's not my native language,


The FX 8350 is an acceptable CPU for its price range (though not as good as the Intel Core i5-3570k), but AMD doesn't really have any high-end offerings, and what it does offer is often price-inefficient.

Your English is fine. Honestly, I tend to find it amusing when people who speak English as a second language apologize for the quality of their speech, given that many people who speak it as a first language absolutely mangle it.


i see , he used vmware workstaion to install Red Hat and learn about it , also he is making tutorials about linux sometimes and try linux distro ,, etc like that

i know a lot of words in English also i can talk but my problem with grammer :D 


Grammar for foreign languages is always difficult. You're having to completely reorder sentences relative to what they would be in your native tongue.


first time i Leann a word was in McDonald's , i don't know anything at all , and i was very Hungary
i don't know what they call "meal size" , small size - big size ,, etc , my friend said to me just say i need big tasty cow size *_* i don't even know what is the cow means! They laughed too loud

back to the topic , which is better windows 8 pro or windows 7


Given that it was a McDonald's, they were probably not used to receiving such a cohertent answer. :p 

Windows 8, to my understanding, has a lighter load on the system. As a result, you'll get more performance out of the same parts. That said, the interface is said to be less than excellent.


:) 
thank you , I appreciate your taking the time to help me
my pleasure
a b 4 Gaming
May 4, 2013 3:18:47 AM

raedov said:
Jack Revenant said:
raedov said:
Jack Revenant said:
raedov said:
Jack Revenant said:
raedov said:
hi Jack Revenant

he consider using AMD Cpu because of AMD 8 Core and he said it is good Especially for virtualization and gaming but he doesn't know aboult how is this cpu good for video editing.
sorry for my English , it's not my native language,


The FX 8350 is an acceptable CPU for its price range (though not as good as the Intel Core i5-3570k), but AMD doesn't really have any high-end offerings, and what it does offer is often price-inefficient.

Your English is fine. Honestly, I tend to find it amusing when people who speak English as a second language apologize for the quality of their speech, given that many people who speak it as a first language absolutely mangle it.


i see , he used vmware workstaion to install Red Hat and learn about it , also he is making tutorials about linux sometimes and try linux distro ,, etc like that

i know a lot of words in English also i can talk but my problem with grammer :D 


Grammar for foreign languages is always difficult. You're having to completely reorder sentences relative to what they would be in your native tongue.


first time i Leann a word was in McDonald's , i don't know anything at all , and i was very Hungary
i don't know what they call "meal size" , small size - big size ,, etc , my friend said to me just say i need big tasty cow size *_* i don't even know what is the cow means! They laughed too loud

back to the topic , which is better windows 8 pro or windows 7


Given that it was a McDonald's, they were probably not used to receiving such a cohertent answer. :p 

Windows 8, to my understanding, has a lighter load on the system. As a result, you'll get more performance out of the same parts. That said, the interface is said to be less than excellent.


:) 
thank you , I appreciate your taking the time to help me
my pleasure


Happy to help. :) 
a b 4 Gaming
a b À AMD
May 4, 2013 3:44:31 AM

If you want the best help possible, you need to have your friend specify things a little more clearly:

Quick questions:

1) Is this "video editing" or "video converting/transcoding"?
*Video editing is far more demanding. The amount of RAM may be important, and some software such as Adobe Premiere can accelerate things with certain video cards.

2) Don't consider XEON CPU's unless there is a significant advantage in processing time AND the software that uses it benefits.

3) What's being done with virtualization? (can affect RAM amount etc).

Other:
Windows 8 64-bit OEM is what you want.
As for the new "Metro interface" that's easily solved with START8. I use Windows 8 and it's basically exactly like Windows 7 with Start8 but with quite a few advantages. There's no good reason to go with Windows 7 in a new build unless you have some rare compatibility issue.
May 4, 2013 3:55:20 AM



photonboy said:
If you want the best help possible, you need to have your friend specify things a little more clearly:

Quick questions:

1) Is this "video editing" or "video converting/transcoding"?
*Video editing is far more demanding. The amount of RAM may be important, and some software such as Adobe Premiere can accelerate things with certain video cards.

2) Don't consider XEON CPU's unless there is a significant advantage in processing time AND the software that uses it benefits.

3) What's being done with virtualization? (can affect RAM amount etc).

Other:
Windows 8 64-bit OEM is what you want.
As for the new "Metro interface" that's easily solved with START8. I use Windows 8 and it's basically exactly like Windows 7 with Start8 but with quite a few advantages. There's no good reason to go with Windows 7 in a new build unless you have some rare compatibility issue.


ok i will ask hime , and come back at another time

BTW is this case good for air flow ?
http://www.fractal-design.com/?view=product&prod=102

thank you
May 4, 2013 4:58:44 AM

photonboy said:
If you want the best help possible, you need to have your friend specify things a little more clearly:

Quick questions:

1) Is this "video editing" or "video converting/transcoding"?
*Video editing is far more demanding. The amount of RAM may be important, and some software such as Adobe Premiere can accelerate things with certain video cards.

2) Don't consider XEON CPU's unless there is a significant advantage in processing time AND the software that uses it benefits.

3) What's being done with virtualization? (can affect RAM amount etc).

Other:
Windows 8 64-bit OEM is what you want.
As for the new "Metro interface" that's easily solved with START8. I use Windows 8 and it's basically exactly like Windows 7 with Start8 but with quite a few advantages. There's no good reason to go with Windows 7 in a new build unless you have some rare compatibility issue.


1- "video editing" he use Adobe Premiere and somtimes sony vegas.
3- he used vmware workstaion to install Red Hat and learn about it , also he is making tutorials about linux sometimes and try linux distro ,, etc , he spent 3 hours per a day for linux
May 4, 2013 4:59:50 AM

Marcopolo123 said:
Its ok


thanx
May 4, 2013 5:14:40 AM

he is not yet decided , but He asked me to take your opinion about this :

is it compatible with each other ?

CPU: AMD FX-8350 Vishera 4.0GHz
MB : ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z AM3+ AMD 990FX
GPU: SAPPHIRE 100351SR Radeon HD 7970 3GB
CPU Cooler :Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO
CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 16GB (4 x 4GB)
SSD : OCZ Vertex 4 VTX4-25SAT3-256G
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX850M 850W
CASE : Fractal Design Define R4 White
a b 4 Gaming
a b À AMD
May 4, 2013 6:27:23 AM

raedov said:
he is not yet decided , but He asked me to take your opinion about this :

is it compatible with each other ?

CPU: AMD FX-8350 Vishera 4.0GHz
MB : ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z AM3+ AMD 990FX
GPU: SAPPHIRE 100351SR Radeon HD 7970 3GB
CPU Cooler :Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO
CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 16GB (4 x 4GB)
SSD : OCZ Vertex 4 VTX4-25SAT3-256G
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX850M 850W
CASE : Fractal Design Define R4 White


The only compatibility issue I see is that the Noctua cooler listed uses VOLTAGE-controlled fans. Most new motherboards use PWM fans. The Noctua NH-D14 would work, however the CPU fans would likely be stuck at high speed at all times. (Annoyingly, the manual does not say whether Voltage, PWM or both are supported so I recommend contacting them to be certain).

Another small issue is TWO versus ONE fans. If your motherboard doesn't have a CPU1 and CPU2 connection you need to ensure the CPU_FAN slot provides enough Amperage for BOTH of the fans connected together (and connect them; adapter? not sure). The Corsair H100i works different from this.

You may also wish to look into water cooling such as the Corsair H100 or H100i and compatible cases.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNEuSRc6xt8 (Linus from NCIX; there are more at Youtube)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyC3lZ5WFMk

(A single, quality 12cm or 14cm fan such as Noctua PWM doesn't ramp up much even with an i7-3770K under load at 4.2GHz. Pretty quiet (not with stock cooler though). This is far different with an overclocked FX-8350.

Summary:
- verify whether the motherboard supports PWM, Voltage or both for CPU fan (and case) control.
- Consider a good water-cooler for the CPU (case must be compatible with radiator/fan mount)
- don't forget a FRONT FAN for your case if not included (variable such as 300 to 1000RPM, or low, single-speed such as 500 or 800RPM. Noctua's fans can be quieter but expensive.)
a b 4 Gaming
May 4, 2013 8:40:15 AM

raedov said:
he is not yet decided , but He asked me to take your opinion about this :

is it compatible with each other ?

CPU: AMD FX-8350 Vishera 4.0GHz
MB : ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z AM3+ AMD 990FX
GPU: SAPPHIRE 100351SR Radeon HD 7970 3GB
CPU Cooler :Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO
CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 16GB (4 x 4GB)
SSD : OCZ Vertex 4 VTX4-25SAT3-256G
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX850M 850W
CASE : Fractal Design Define R4 White


Motherboard and memory are expensive, i would pick cheaper ones. But i guess the aesthetics is important for him...
Also nice looking ram is this: it also has led's...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Power supply:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Or platinum,but not modular
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

750w will be enough for crossfire.


Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
a b À AMD
May 4, 2013 11:21:51 AM
Share

raedov said:
photonboy said:
If you want the best help possible, you need to have your friend specify things a little more clearly:

Quick questions:

1) Is this "video editing" or "video converting/transcoding"?
*Video editing is far more demanding. The amount of RAM may be important, and some software such as Adobe Premiere can accelerate things with certain video cards.

2) Don't consider XEON CPU's unless there is a significant advantage in processing time AND the software that uses it benefits.

3) What's being done with virtualization? (can affect RAM amount etc).

Other:
Windows 8 64-bit OEM is what you want.
As for the new "Metro interface" that's easily solved with START8. I use Windows 8 and it's basically exactly like Windows 7 with Start8 but with quite a few advantages. There's no good reason to go with Windows 7 in a new build unless you have some rare compatibility issue.


1- "video editing" he use Adobe Premiere and somtimes sony vegas.
3- he used vmware workstaion to install Red Hat and learn about it , also he is making tutorials about linux sometimes and try linux distro ,, etc , he spent 3 hours per a day for linux


1. There's a lot of info you can Google about Adobe Premiere but here are some highlights:
a) AMD is working with Adobe for better GPGPU support, but there's no confirmation on the specifics. I'm assuming an UPCOMING version of Premiere will add some OPENCL support but what features aren't certain.

b) Workstation cards tend to be natively supported (there's a list of Quadro etc), however some other cards like the GTX600 series work with a hack.

c) Current version of Adobe Premiere appear not to benefit much beyond a GTX660 (not even Workstation cards).

d) RAM-> 32GB for video editing seems to be the UPPER amount most people would need. (Example, 4x 8GB G. Skill DDR3 1600MHz).

3. VMWARE:
Not my area of expertise, but most modern CPU's and Motherboards support this? Confirm this, but in terms of PERFORMANCE for VMWARE and Linux it's a non-issue as whatever you get for gaming and video editing is overkill for VMWARE. (Unless you have MULTIPLE machines running simultaneously whilst also using video editing, but I still recommend 32GB regardless).

SUMMARY:
- Google and Wikipedia are your friends.
- investigate the "hacked" GPU's for Adobe Premiere, and what/when the HD7000 series cards will be supported
May 5, 2013 12:42:51 AM

Thank you all for these tips
a b 4 Gaming
a b À AMD
May 6, 2013 2:32:00 PM

raedov said:
Thank you all for these tips


I should add that SSD's can be used as well as scratchpads. I would buy one to run Windows itself (128GB or higher) then worry about a different SSD at a later point, not right away. You should get more FAMILIAR with the software and read more to make a more informed decision on what to purchase.

Buying the proper hardware, and optimizing for it in the software can be tricky. You'll need to read more. For example, Adobe Premiere might be optimized to simply use "50% of available memory" (I don't know) but you might wish to RAISE this if you have 32GB installed.

An SSD might be a great idea, but:
a) if you don't LINK to it, it won't get used
b) if you get too LARGE a size you've wasted your money
c) how important the SSD is will vary significantly on how you are editing (how large, what features etc.)
d) Does having MORE RAM for your System reduce the requirement for an SSD? (if it can buffer enough in System RAM would it even need a scratch pad? I have no idea. If your file is too large it's not possible to do so. Also, it's possible Adobe didn't optimize to use RAM ONLY and may require a scratchpad from an HDD/SSD. Though you CAN setup a RAM SCRATCHPAD if there would be a benefit. A very interesting idea, but one I can find very little information on. Such as having 64GB total and 32GB of that solely for a scratchpad?)
!