A $650 laptop for an undergraduate student?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HigginsHEre

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012
I quickly skimmed the forums and couldn't really find any answers.

1. What is your budget?
$500-$700. $800 if necessary.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
N/A

3. What screen resolution do you want?
The higher, the better. Also, viewing angles should be decent.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
I guess a portable. I've already got a decent desktop.

5. How much battery life do you need?
The longer, the better. I'll take what I can get.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
I don't really care. Having the ability would be nice, but it's for College, not for gaming. My desktop can do that.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
An efficient keyboard is an essential feature I would like; I'm a very fast touch typist and the keyboard should be conducive to that. Word processing, video watching, and web browsing. I sometimes edit photos (PS), but not very often at all. I multitask like crazy; I usually get up to 50+ (Chrome) tabs at one time.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
I'm not sure. I doubt I need that much; but the more, the merrier.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
N/A

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
Two years at the very least.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
N/A

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
N/A

13. What country do you live in?
USA.

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

Here's something I found today, and I'm not sure if it's right for me. Nor do I know how long the discount will last: http://tinyurl.com/cf5telv

I think I prefer Windows 7 over Windows 8, but that's just my prejudice. I haven't even had much of an in-depth experience with W8.

Soon I'm going to graduate high school, and I'm just trying to figure out what would be a good laptop to use for college. The laptop wouldn't be just confined to college use, but that's the primary reason I'm getting it. Thank you for helping.

Also, I may not be purchasing the laptop for another month or so.

Solution
Intel is releasing its Haswell chips soon, which will have lower power consumption and better graphics. If you are buying for college then there is no reason not to wait. Back to school sales will start up towards the end of summer. A Lenovo ultrabook would be my choice when the new chips are released.

affroman112

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2007
Intel is releasing its Haswell chips soon, which will have lower power consumption and better graphics. If you are buying for college then there is no reason not to wait. Back to school sales will start up towards the end of summer. A Lenovo ultrabook would be my choice when the new chips are released.

Solution

whyso

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.