Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Updating Hardware for gaming PC

Last response: in Systems
Share
May 6, 2013 3:21:32 AM

Hello I need some advice on how I should go about with upgrading the parts in my current PC with some new parts that can play most games at 50-60fps on high-ultra settings. Parts That I am considering to upgrade are in bold

Current system specs are a mix between a terrible PC and a couple of parts that I bought :

CPU: Amd phenom x3 2.1 GHz( Using parts from my older PC the X3200 Acer aspire)

Graphics card: Amd HD radeon 5770(Considering keeping this one atm due to budget)

Motherboard:( Not sure but It's from the X3200 Acer PC I was talking about ^)

Ram: 3Gb DDr2 667/800 MHz SDRAM( also from the x3200)

PSU: Strike through it because I am not sure if I should upgrade it or not. Its a G7 680W PSU ( bought it at maplins and I have read online to not buy dodgy PSU's so I need suggestions)

Case: Nothing special just a standard Atx case ( Moved CPU, Motherboard and Ram into it)

My Budget is roughly 300-400(Euro because I live in Ireland). Also I don't know anything when it comes to drivers for parts apart from graphics card drivers so if any of you could tell me that would be much appreciated!

Most of all thanks for reading this far and I am anticipating your responses! :) 
a b 4 Gaming
May 6, 2013 3:49:39 AM

my sggestion:
an FX 6300 (about €110), a AM3+ 960 motherboard (about €40) and 8 GB of DDR3 ram (about €50), which is €200, an XFX 450W PSU for €50, then a GTX 650 ti for about €125, for a €375 total, leaving a bit of cushion.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
May 6, 2013 9:04:28 AM


Download and install CPUz
Check under the 'Motherboard' tab for a few hints.

I'm guessing something in the flavor of an nVidia GeForce 8200 chipset from mid-2008.

The AMD Phenom 8450 Triple Core 2.1GHz is 95w. I highly suspect a 95w AthlonII Rana X3 or Propus X4 will work just dandy for you at a cost of £60 or so from Amazon-UK.

If it does not, we'll go with Plan B :D 



m
0
l
Related resources
May 6, 2013 11:19:41 AM

Wisecracker said:

Download and install CPUz
Check under the 'Motherboard' tab for a few hints.

I'm guessing something in the flavor of an nVidia GeForce 8200 chipset from mid-2008.

The AMD Phenom 8450 Triple Core 2.1GHz is 95w. I highly suspect a 95w AthlonII Rana X3 or Propus X4 will work just dandy for you at a cost of £60 or so from Amazon-UK.

If it does not, we'll go with Plan B :D 



Thanks for the message but I am not keeping the motherboard I am completely updatating all the terrible parts of my PC :p 
m
0
l
May 6, 2013 11:21:59 AM

Noob12 said:
Do not update. It is not worth. What is best to here is save some more like 250 € more and order new rig.
For example like this:

http://www.hardwareversand.de/basket.jsp

Article No. HV13SB71DE
Seagate Barracuda 7200 1000GB, SATA 6Gb/s
ready for dispatch

56,69 €
56,69 €
Article No. HV20Y347DE
Intel Core i5-3470 Box, LGA1155
ready for dispatch

169,74 €
169,74 €
Article No. HV1134RVDE
ASRock B75M-DGS, Sockel 1155, mATX
ready for dispatch

50,39 €
50,39 €
Article No. HV20G325DE
8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9
ready for dispatch

53,54 €
53,54 €
Article No. HV203I18DE
BitFenix Shinobi Midi-Tower USB 3.0 black, ohne Netzteil
ready for dispatch

53,03 €
53,03 €
Article No. HVR450GGDE
Super-Flower SF450P14XE Golden Green Pro 80plus gold
ready for dispatch

68,29 €
68,29 €
Article No. HV1026TUDE
PowerColor Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition V2, 2GB DDR5
ready for dispatch from 2013-05-08

191,66 €
191,66 €
Total:643,34 € + shipping.


As I said I am not going to be doing any crazy updating such as the parts you have above but thanks for the suggestion! I'll probably get the graphics card sometime down the line when I can afford it. (Btw I am a student and don't have crazy money to spend on PC parts :p  ).

m
0
l
May 6, 2013 11:26:22 AM

ScrewySqrl said:
my sggestion:
an FX 6300 (about €110), a AM3+ 960 motherboard (about €40) and 8 GB of DDR3 ram (about €50), which is €200, an XFX 450W PSU for €50, then a GTX 650 ti for about €125, for a €375 total, leaving a bit of cushion.


Nice these look like good parts :D . The only thing is that I would like to be able to play games like GTA V when it releases so I might spend more on a CPU(i5 3570k maybe?) Ram looks good but the power supply doesn't seem like it could take a I5 and a good graphics card. Would the GPU be good at playing Battlefield 3 and Bioshock infinite? and is it much a improvement over the HD 5770 that I have now? Any way thanks for the reply :D 
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
May 6, 2013 12:35:16 PM

Enchilada said:
ScrewySqrl said:
my sggestion:
an FX 6300 (about €110), a AM3+ 960 motherboard (about €40) and 8 GB of DDR3 ram (about €50), which is €200, an XFX 450W PSU for €50, then a GTX 650 ti for about €125, for a €375 total, leaving a bit of cushion.


Nice these look like good parts :D . The only thing is that I would like to be able to play games like GTA V when it releases so I might spend more on a CPU(i5 3570k maybe?) Ram looks good but the power supply doesn't seem like it could take a I5 and a good graphics card. Would the GPU be good at playing Battlefield 3 and Bioshock infinite? and is it much a improvement over the HD 5770 that I have now? Any way thanks for the reply :D 



the 650ti and 6300 will play any game you throw at it at 1920x1080 on high or ultra settings
m
0
l
May 6, 2013 1:00:59 PM


Quote:

the 650ti and 6300 will play any game you throw at it at 1920x1080 on high or ultra settings


Nice but wouldn't the amd give a lot more power consumption and heat then a i5? Also what drivers would I need to install when I set the PC up?
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
May 6, 2013 3:28:32 PM

Enchilada said:

Quote:

the 650ti and 6300 will play any game you throw at it at 1920x1080 on high or ultra settings


Nice but wouldn't the amd give a lot more power consumption and heat then a i5? Also what drivers would I need to install when I set the PC up?


The FX-6300 is 95w ...

From Xbit

Your drivers are dependent generally by the OEM and current versions may be downloaded from their websites.

Gaming performance is limited by your graphics. The FX-6300/AM3+/DDR3 will likely provide more cash and better upgrade path.


edit: I fergit ...

There are gaming benchies at the Xbit article.



m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
May 7, 2013 2:05:14 AM

yes, the 6300 uses a bit more power. (about 42w more than an i5-3470 in that example). If you ran your computer for 8 hours a day and pay a rather high 10 cents per kilowatt hour, you save a grand total of 3.36 cents with the 3470 vs 6300.



m
0
l
May 7, 2013 8:31:59 AM

ScrewySqrl said:
yes, the 6300 uses a bit more power. (about 42w more than an i5-3470 in that example). If you ran your computer for 8 hours a day and pay a rather high 10 cents per kilowatt hour, you save a grand total of 3.36 cents with the 3470 vs 6300.

Would I be better off buying a i5 now and not have to upgrade from the 6300 in future or will the 6300 be able to cater for games that will be out next gen?
My friend is also looking to make a new build, what would be the best price-performance parts that could play anything high-ultra?Thanks for the help! :) 
m
0
l

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
May 7, 2013 11:09:16 AM

teh 6300 + 650 ti will play any game out right now at high settings (some at ultra), and are likely to be able to do the same for the next 2 years at the very least. in your price range, with th higher cost of an i5 and its motherboard, you would have to step down in the GPU to a 7770 or 650. the 650ti is enough better than the fact the 6300 doesn't quite match the 3470 is more than overshadowed by the improved GPU.
Share
May 7, 2013 12:37:10 PM

ScrewySqrl said:
teh 6300 + 650 ti will play any game out right now at high settings (some at ultra), and are likely to be able to do the same for the next 2 years at the very least. in your price range, with th higher cost of an i5 and its motherboard, you would have to step down in the GPU to a 7770 or 650. the 650ti is enough better than the fact the 6300 doesn't quite match the 3470 is more than overshadowed by the improved GPU.


Thanks man for the help :D , I will definitely buy those parts :)  and tell my friend.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
May 8, 2013 5:40:54 AM


You may wish to look into something like the Radeon HD7850. Over the week or so, some of the prices have taken a dip in the States.

You may be able to find one in the £135-range.



m
0
l
!