Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Looking for a hard drive!

Last response: in Storage
Share
May 6, 2013 11:55:23 AM

So, um I want to buy myself a new Win8 PC.

I have chosen Intel 520 series SSD 180GB as my primary Windows drive as I hear Intel is reliable and 5 year warranty. I will use that for Windows8 and primary apps (Firefox, PowerDVD...)

Now I am choosing secondary HDD storage for data/movies and gaming, maybe even some other apps (Photoshop example). To me the important things are:
-noise (not so but I want as quiet as I can)
-capacity - 3TB (2TB if I must)
-and reliability - most important.

Speed is not important, but I don't want a slow 5400 rpm drive :) 

Western Digital:
Black is only 2TB and is noisy. (Don't want Green/Blue because of slowness and bad reports).

Now it comes to Hitachi 3TB 7K3000 and Seagate Barracuda 3TB ST3000DM001.
Any help? What is more reliable hard drive?

And please don't mention other brands (Samsung or so...)

Also I will use great power supply 750W Chieftec so no worries there!

Begging for your help. Thanks!

More about : hard drive

May 6, 2013 12:33:42 PM

If you take the 3TB i would take de Seagate Barracuda but remember that 3TB drives can give problems (click here for article with al problems). If you decide to take the 2TB option i would choose the 2tb version of the barracuda.
m
0
l
May 6, 2013 12:37:48 PM

Cyber023 said:
If you take the 3TB i would take de Seagate Barracuda but remember that 3TB drives can give problems (click here for article with al problems). If you decide to take the 2TB option i would choose the 2tb version of the barracuda.


Thanks! But ohhh...problems. Well I am going to use latest ASUS motherboard P8Z77-V. And want to have more partitions (500GB,2000GB,500GB)...Any other issues. And why do you prefer barracuda?

Then I am reconsidering Caviar Black 2TB again... :\
m
0
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
a b å Intel
May 6, 2013 12:39:00 PM

When it comes to Hard drives, I’m going to be recommending the newly introduced Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 1 or 2TB hard drive. While previously I would’ve recommended the Western Digital Caviar Black, those drives have seen much better pricing and I just can’t recommend them over the Seagate Barracuda anymore. However, it looks like with the new breed of Barracuda, Seagate’s old drive has been given new life.

The new drive uses increased disk density when compared to older Seagate Barracuda drives, and performance has gone off the roof with these new drives.
m
0
l

Best solution

May 6, 2013 12:42:44 PM

If your going to make more partitions i would go for the Seagate Barracude 3TB.
Share
May 6, 2013 12:45:31 PM

bigcyco1 said:
When it comes to Hard drives, I’m going to be recommending the newly introduced Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 1 or 2TB hard drive. While previously I would’ve recommended the Western Digital Caviar Black, those drives have seen much better pricing and I just can’t recommend them over the Seagate Barracuda anymore. However, it looks like with the new breed of Barracuda, Seagate’s old drive has been given new life.

The new drive uses increased disk density when compared to older Seagate Barracuda drives, and performance has gone off the roof with these new drives.


OK, 2TB then. You convinced me :D 

But...What about reliability of seagate??
I heard hitachi is more reliable.

EDIT: Yes,yes more partitions.

3TB or 2TB :\\\
m
0
l
a b G Storage
a b å Intel
May 6, 2013 12:48:29 PM

Option58 said:
bigcyco1 said:
When it comes to Hard drives, I’m going to be recommending the newly introduced Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 1 or 2TB hard drive. While previously I would’ve recommended the Western Digital Caviar Black, those drives have seen much better pricing and I just can’t recommend them over the Seagate Barracuda anymore. However, it looks like with the new breed of Barracuda, Seagate’s old drive has been given new life.

The new drive uses increased disk density when compared to older Seagate Barracuda drives, and performance has gone off the roof with these new drives.


OK, 2TB then. You convinced me :D 

But...What about reliability of seagate??
I heard hitachi is more reliable.
I don't know about that as i never really have looked to far into hitachi but seagate is reliable.Not convinced? Be sure to check out Amazon’s Internal Hard Drive Top Sellers list! This is a list of Amazon’s top selling internal hard drives and it’s updated hourly so you know exactly what everyone else is buying!

m
0
l
May 6, 2013 1:05:49 PM

Seagate is more relaible than Hitachi
m
0
l
May 7, 2013 7:37:35 AM

Sure guys! Yeah I know that Seagate sells more, but reliability is important!! Yep you say Seagate is reliable :) 

Seagate has problem with 1TB platters? True or false?

3TB drive? Yes or No? More opinions?
(I Want to have more partitions, Windows 8 and newest motherboard and newest BIOS (or UEFI - whatever is called now) :) 

More opinions about WD Caviar Black 2TB and Seagate barracuda 3TB and Hitachi Deskstar 3TB? :D 
m
0
l
May 7, 2013 3:16:51 PM

I just see more and more people complaining with Seagate :\
m
0
l
May 7, 2013 4:13:53 PM

I had both and I love the Seagate much more so.. (and by the why there both fantastic hard drives so you are in the good with both)
m
0
l
a b G Storage
a b å Intel
May 8, 2013 2:36:02 AM

Well get what you want we can only give you advice.It's your choice rather to listen or not anyway good luck.
m
0
l
!