Solved

Looking to upgrade my graphics card, requesting psu and quality gpu suggestions.

Sorry if this seems template made and long but i'm listing off the required info in the stickied thread as well as trying to cover loose ends.

I will probably purchase the GPU sometime this week, and my price range is 250-300 us dollars before rebates, i can go as high as 330, however i would prefer to keep it as close to 300 as possible.
The card will be used for gaming, though i am not worried about full settings, i wouldn't mind them where obtainable, i do have metro 2033, so that should be a good benchmark of power.
This is my current PSU:
SeaSonic S12II 520 Bronze 520W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151094
40A on the 12V rail, Tier 2 i believe according to the list on the eggsperts site.

My current graphics card is a msi cyclone nvidia gtx 460 768mb.
the rest of my system specs are as follows:
Intel i5 2500k @4.5ghz overclock at 1.34v, cooler is cooler master hyper 212+, MX4 thermal paste.
Corsair Carbide series 400R mid tower case, with 6 120mm fans, and 1 200mm fan, all in proper cooling configuration.
2 HDD's, a samsung spinpoint F3 1tb os and gaming drive, and a seagate barracuda 3tb media drive.
G Skill 2x4GB DDR3 ram at 1333.
Asrock Z75 Mobo.
Asus Xonar DG sound card.
Most of my system is less than a year old.

I would prefer either amazon or newegg, but i'm willing to use other reputible sites if it is suggested, US based.
I would prefer an AMD card due to my display having a corrupted EDID, but i'm willing to get a nvidia card if it is more bang for my buck.
I may overclock in the future, but i will not be for a long time and probably not without a psu upgrade, i will only use SLI/Crossfire if i upgraded my psu.
My resolution is 1920x1080@60hz.
I would like to have a card good cooling and quality.

I believe my psu is capable of handling a 7950, but i am not sure, so my request is a suggested graphics card in my budget that can run on my psu i suppose.

Thank you for any assistance.
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about upgrade graphics card requesting psu quality gpu suggestions
  1. Best answer
    A 7950 would suite you quite well. Take your pick.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=+100007709&QksAutoSuggestion=&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&Configurator=&IsNodeId=1&Subcategory=-1&description=7950&hisInDesc=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&AdvancedSearch=1&srchInDesc=

    I have a Sapphire 7950 vapor X and it works well.


    Although Ncix (canada based, but has a US presence) is having a great sale on a 7970 right now. It is a bit more than your budget at $375, but it is a steal at the price.
    http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=79472&promoid=1304

    If you want a better power supply upgrade to a Seasonic or Corsair @ 750W or 850W that is modular and 80 plus gold or platinum rated. I like my X-850 850W Seasonic.
  2. ^+1
    You might try his suggestions.. :)
  3. fixer762 said:
    A 7950 would suite you quite well. Take your pick.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=+100007709&QksAutoSuggestion=&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&Configurator=&IsNodeId=1&Subcategory=-1&description=7950&hisInDesc=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&AdvancedSearch=1&srchInDesc=

    I have a Sapphire 7950 vapor X and it works well.


    Although Ncix (canada based, but has a US presence) is having a great sale on a 7970 right now. It is a bit more than your budget at $375, but it is a steal at the price.
    http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=79472&promoid=1304

    If you want a better power supply upgrade to a Seasonic or Corsair @ 750W or 850W that is modular and 80 plus gold or platinum rated. I like my X-850 850W Seasonic.


    This guy has made very good recommendations.
    However, I also recommend the XFX brand for power supplies you might be looking in to. They have very good parts, so if you see one on a good sale or something don't be afraid to grab it. Any of those 3 are the best choices
  4. Thank you both, and i'd rather hang onto my psu if possible for the time being, as it's only about 6 months old, that said that gpu is quite nice (though if i get the vapor x it will probably be off of amazon as it's cheaper there).

    I'll leave it open for a little bit to see if anyone has any suggested models of the 7950 (the 7970 is a little out of my price range unfortunately) to look into, as some models seem worse than others especially for cooling, if not i will close the thread in due time.

    Thank you again.
  5. tatsuya1221 said:
    Thank you both, and i'd rather hang onto my psu if possible for the time being, as it's only about 6 months old, that said that gpu is quite nice (though if i get the vapor x it will probably be off of amazon as it's cheaper there).

    I'll leave it open for a little bit to see if anyone has any suggested models of the 7950 (the 7970 is a little out of my price range unfortunately) to look into, as some models seem worse than others especially for cooling, if not i will close the thread in due time.

    Thank you again.


    Any time you buy an AMD GPU, you want to try and get a sapphire card if you can. They are one of the oldest, and the most well established AMD GPU manufacturing company.
    Otherwise I would go MSI, or ASUS.

    Avoid Gigabyte and XFX. Right now their cards just arent what they used to be.

    IF YOU CAN
    Check Ebay or Amazon for a MSI Twin Frozr Radeon HD 7950. If you can find one that has the Twin Frozr coolers, and has a BLACK PCB. (cant stress that part enough. It has to be a black pcb), then pick that one up. Also make sure it is the boost edition. The black PCB that they use is actually a 7970 PCB, which means you have all the 7950 parts, but running on the better 7970 PCB which will make you be able to overclock a little further than most 7950s. Its a hard card to find though, but give it a shot
  6. Thank you for your response.

    What are your opinions on the HIS IceQ Boost Clock H795QC3G2M?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161420

    From what i've seen when it comes to reviews, it seems to be one of the best cooling wise 7950 cards.
    I should state that cooling is more important than OC potential to me, as if i do OC, it will not be for a while, and price is an issue, as i said plus shipping i cannot afford more than 330$.
  7. tatsuya1221 said:
    Thank you for your response.

    What are your opinions on the HIS IceQ Boost Clock H795QC3G2M?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161420

    From what i've seen when it comes to reviews, it seems to be one of the best cooling wise 7950 cards.
    I should state that cooling is more important than OC potential to me, as if i do OC, it will not be for a while, and price is an issue, as i said plus shipping i cannot afford more than 330$.


    That card is good at cooling. You shouldnt be disappointed with the cooling on it.
  8. Thank you for your assistance.
  9. A Seasonic X850 850 Power supply is on sale right now with an INSANE promo code. It costs like $120 right now.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151102&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL050713&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL050713-_-EMC-050713-Index-_-PowerSupplies-_-17151102-L09A
    You have to act fast though the Deal ends on May 8th, Tomorrow or today depending on your time zone.

    I only posted this because I saw the deal in my email and it made me look twice even though I'm not even looking to buy one right now.
Ask a new question

Read More

GPUs Graphics Cards Graphics