Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

SLI, triple monitor setup questions

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
May 7, 2013 9:46:09 PM

I currently have 3 monitors running off 1 2GB GTX 670 GC. they are all 24" and 1920x1080. The left and right on are the same model and 60Hz but the middle is a 120Hz monitor. I am not sure on a few details.Which graphics card do i plug the monitors in when I have 2 in SLI? Will they all work fine with the 120Hz and 2 60Hz in SLI? Responses greatly appreciated.
May 7, 2013 10:14:46 PM

ECaarnage said:
I currently have 3 monitors running off 1 2GB GTX 670 GC. they are all 24" and 1920x1080. The left and right on are the same model and 60Hz but the middle is a 120Hz monitor. I am not sure on a few details.Which graphics card do i plug the monitors in when I have 2 in SLI? Will they all work fine with the 120Hz and 2 60Hz in SLI? Responses greatly appreciated.


You plug them all into the same GPU. They will work fine with your set up.

(feel free anyone to correct me if im wrong)

Im fairly sure this is how it works.
m
0
l
May 8, 2013 5:08:43 PM

So do they bridge together so that the second one is actually being used?
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 638 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
May 8, 2013 5:15:43 PM

Yes, you use a SLI bridge to connect the cards. It should have come with your motherboard. Make sure your motherboard is SLI certified.

I'm not sure what will happen with the 120 hz versus 60 hz monitors though. I think that may not work so well.
m
0
l
May 8, 2013 5:37:58 PM

17seconds said:
Yes, you use a SLI bridge to connect the cards. It should have come with your motherboard. Make sure your motherboard is SLI certified.

I'm not sure what will happen with the 120 hz versus 60 hz monitors though. I think that may not work so well.

I am either getting it today or tomorrow. When I get it setup do you want me to let you know how it goes? And you're sure I should just connect them to one card? Wouldn't it be better to have them split up?

m
0
l
May 8, 2013 6:51:39 PM

ECaarnage said:
17seconds said:
Yes, you use a SLI bridge to connect the cards. It should have come with your motherboard. Make sure your motherboard is SLI certified.

I'm not sure what will happen with the 120 hz versus 60 hz monitors though. I think that may not work so well.

I am either getting it today or tomorrow. When I get it setup do you want me to let you know how it goes? And you're sure I should just connect them to one card? Wouldn't it be better to have them split up?



No, because you are pretty much using one card when you SLI as your main card to display everything. It just grabs extra performance from the other card through the SLI bridge by utilizing it. But the main card that you plug your monitors into is what handles all the displaying. the second card is only for the extra performace
m
0
l
a c 217 U Graphics card
a c 133 C Monitor
May 8, 2013 6:55:08 PM

caydn12 said:
No, because you are pretty much using one card when you SLI as your main card to display everything. It just grabs extra performance from the other card through the SLI bridge by utilizing it. But the main card that you plug your monitors into is what handles all the displaying. the second card is only for the extra performace


It is not required to plug them all into the main card. You are mistaken if that is what you are saying. SLI does not have the same restrictions that Crossfire does.
m
0
l
May 8, 2013 6:59:35 PM

bystander said:
caydn12 said:
No, because you are pretty much using one card when you SLI as your main card to display everything. It just grabs extra performance from the other card through the SLI bridge by utilizing it. But the main card that you plug your monitors into is what handles all the displaying. the second card is only for the extra performace


It is not required to plug them all into the main card. You are mistaken if that is what you are saying. SLI does not have the same restrictions that Crossfire does.


Oh really? Never realized that.. So there is another plus to SLI over crossfire.
m
0
l
May 8, 2013 7:38:51 PM

bystander said:
caydn12 said:
No, because you are pretty much using one card when you SLI as your main card to display everything. It just grabs extra performance from the other card through the SLI bridge by utilizing it. But the main card that you plug your monitors into is what handles all the displaying. the second card is only for the extra performace


It is not required to plug them all into the main card. You are mistaken if that is what you are saying. SLI does not have the same restrictions that Crossfire does.

So is it going to matter at all where they are plugged into?
m
0
l
May 8, 2013 7:41:46 PM

I guess not.
m
0
l
a c 638 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
May 8, 2013 7:54:25 PM

My concern is for mixing and matching monitor refresh rates. What do you think Bystander?
m
0
l
a c 638 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
May 8, 2013 9:11:55 PM

ECaarnage said:
17seconds said:
More info:
http://www.geforce.com/optimize/guides/how-to-correctly...
http://www.geforce.com/optimize/guides/how-to-correctly...

"•In 2D Surround, any combination of monitors that share common timings is perfectly acceptable, though each must have, at minimum, one DVI, HDMI, or DisplayPort connector. Aesthetically, identical monitors are preferable, but not a requirement."

I am using 2 DVI and 1 HDMI. Will this work?

Apparently.

http://www.geforce.com/optimize/guides/how-to-correctly...
m
0
l
May 8, 2013 9:17:13 PM

SO will 2D surround work on this if... even if i put my middle monitor down to 60Hz?
m
0
l
a c 217 U Graphics card
a c 133 C Monitor
May 8, 2013 10:43:54 PM

ECaarnage said:
SO will 2D surround work on this if... even if i put my middle monitor down to 60Hz?


In a 2D surround setup, where they act as a single monitor resolution, I'm fairly certain you can only have 1 refresh rate they can all use. In 2D surround, the monitors act as one. Edit: matto17sec's links confirm this.

However, in an Extended desktop, you can select different refresh rates, though from my experience, it is a little wonky. As in the 2nd monitor sometimes turns off when you enter a game, other times it is not a problem. I don't understand why.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
May 8, 2013 11:19:57 PM

I do not know if that will work or not according to both AMD and Nvidia the monitors should share the same specs to work in Eyefinity or Surround. But that is not to say that you could not make it work though. I think you would need to set the monitor to 1080p 60Hz first and then setup the Surround that way all the monitors will be the same at 1080p 60Hz.

I have not tried it myself as all 9 of my monitors on my 3 rigs are all the same Asus 27" monitors.
m
0
l
May 9, 2013 4:06:55 PM

Ok I will try the 2D surround with all monitors at 1080p 60Hz and see if it will work and also the extended displays with different the different refresh rates. I will keep you guys posted on how it goes :) 
m
0
l
May 10, 2013 9:42:35 PM

I have another question. Is it possible to have SLI working on just the middle monitor and have the 2 side monitors just on extended desktop. I would really like to know if this is possible and how to do it if is possible
m
0
l
a c 217 U Graphics card
a c 133 C Monitor
May 10, 2013 9:45:03 PM

Yes, just create them as an extended desktop, and make the center one the primary monitor. This may require you to set it up in the Windows screen resolution options. This is at least where I've set it up in the past.
m
0
l
May 10, 2013 11:04:26 PM

bystander said:
Yes, just create them as an extended desktop, and make the center one the primary monitor. This may require you to set it up in the Windows screen resolution options. This is at least where I've set it up in the past.


I have it setup that way but in the nvidia control panel it says that SLI is disabled when I have it this way. In the nvidia control panel it is set to "activate all displays" should I have it set to something else though?
m
0
l
March 21, 2014 1:08:18 PM

ECaarnage said:
bystander said:
Yes, just create them as an extended desktop, and make the center one the primary monitor. This may require you to set it up in the Windows screen resolution options. This is at least where I've set it up in the past.


I have it setup that way but in the nvidia control panel it says that SLI is disabled when I have it this way. In the nvidia control panel it is set to "activate all displays" should I have it set to something else though?



Go to Nvidia Control click on Configure SLI, Surround, Physx, then click on Span Displays with surround.
m
0
l
August 27, 2014 2:59:04 AM

So usually im quite good with PC's and stuff like this but my friend has 2 titans and currently running 2 120Hz BenQ monitors but wants to update to 2 4k monitors. As i know that to run 4K monitors at 60Hz you need to run it on Display Port, but will it still work if he plugs a display port into each card and then into each montior?

this is probably a really dumb question but i wanna know for sure before telling him it will work and him buying it and then it not working.

Thanks guys :D 
m
0
l
a c 638 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
August 27, 2014 6:59:14 AM

Dannbro said:
So usually im quite good with PC's and stuff like this but my friend has 2 titans and currently running 2 120Hz BenQ monitors but wants to update to 2 4k monitors. As i know that to run 4K monitors at 60Hz you need to run it on Display Port, but will it still work if he plugs a display port into each card and then into each montior?

this is probably a really dumb question but i wanna know for sure before telling him it will work and him buying it and then it not working.

Thanks guys :D 

That is a perfect question to put out to the community in a separate thread.
m
0
l
!