Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Quality Graphics Card for a Novice PC Builder

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
May 8, 2013 4:47:06 AM

Hi.

My name is Stephanie and I am a novice when it comes to building a PC. I want to build a powerful gaming computer - within reason - and although I have read extensively on the process of building your own PC I would very much appreciate any advice from experienced builders and gamers here on the forum. I would like to purchase a fast, quality graphics card to suit an i7 processor (16 GB memory, 1 TB Hard Drive) and a 25-27'' LED monitor. I play a variety of easy and demanding PC games such as Lego's series of film games, Medal of Honour, Championship Manager, FIFA, Call of Duty etc so I would like to eliminate the usual sluggishness of my system to give me a fluid gameplay experience.

Many thanks! : )

More about : quality graphics card novice builder

a c 182 U Graphics card
May 8, 2013 4:51:48 AM

Take this(only cpu) -

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Qapn
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Qapn/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Qapn/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($220.98 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Antec Kuhler H2O 620 Liquid CPU Cooler ($57.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V PRO ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($184.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB Video Card
Case: Corsair Vengeance C70 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1091.90
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-05-08 07:50 EDT-0400)
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
May 8, 2013 4:52:37 AM

Depends on how much you're willing to spend on a graphics card. I could give you the advice to buy a GTX Titan for $1000, but I doubt you really need that.

If you can tell us how much you're willing to spend, what resolution you will be playing at (1920*1080 or higher) and if you want the most eye candy when it comes to graphics, we'll be able to give you a good advice on what graphics card is suitable.
m
0
l
Related resources
May 8, 2013 4:54:59 AM

gtx 670, 680, AND DUAL CORE 690 are good really good for gaming but yeah how much do yoiu want to spend
m
0
l
May 8, 2013 4:59:47 AM

ThomasJ93 said:
Depends on how much you're willing to spend on a graphics card. I could give you the advice to buy a GTX Titan for $1000, but I doubt you really need that.

If you can tell us how much you're willing to spend, what resolution you will be playing at (1920*1080 or higher) and if you want the most eye candy when it comes to graphics, we'll be able to give you a good advice on what graphics card is suitable.


Hi, thanks so much for your message. I'm sorry, I completely forgot to specify my budget. I am willing to spend up to £2000 ($3000) for my entire computer and up to £700+ ($1000+) on my graphics card. I'm not sure what monitor I will pick but I would ideally like a high quality one to compliment my graphics card (maybe £600+ / $900+) - which do you think would be best for me? Thanks everybody for your kind and considered help thus far! : )
m
0
l
May 8, 2013 5:00:53 AM

tell me budget

in my opinion a gtx 680 is a very good option if its in your budget go for it
m
0
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
May 8, 2013 5:04:46 AM

If you're looking to spend about $1000 on a monitor, then you will probably be getting a monitor with a 2560*1440 resolution (at least, that's what I'd do). With such a resolution I would go for a GTX 670/680 from Nvidia or a HD7950/7970 from AMD. All of those cards are within your budget.

If you spend more, you'll be getting cards with a terrible cost/performance ratio. A GTX 680 or HD7970 should be able to play the games that you want to play on high/ultra detail.
Share
May 8, 2013 5:06:27 AM

pell380 said:
tell me budget

in my opinion a gtx 680 is a very good option if its in your budget go for it


Hi there, sorry, I forgot to specify my budget! I'm looking to spend around £700+ ($1000+) on my graphics card and £600+ / $900+ on a good quality monitor (24'' or 26'') to compliment my card. Do you have any recommendations for both? Thanks so much! : )
m
0
l
May 8, 2013 5:06:41 AM

Yeah gtx 680 is good but you could save yourself a little and go for 670 i have two in sli gigabyte's gtx 670 3x windforce it's upto you i guess both great cards
m
0
l
May 8, 2013 5:08:25 AM

ThomasJ93 said:
If you're looking to spend about $1000 on a monitor, then you will probably be getting a monitor with a 2560*1440 resolution (at least, that's what I'd do). With such a resolution I would go for a GTX 670/680 from Nvidia or a HD7950/7970 from AMD. All of those cards are within your budget.

If you spend more, you'll be getting cards with a terrible cost/performance ratio. A GTX 680 or HD7970 should be able to play the games that you want to play on high/ultra detail.


Hi Thomas, thanks so much for your swift reply, it's very much appreciated. As a novice, I'm sometimes inclined to think that the more expensive, the better the equipment - that is obviously not the case and I'm glad to have your advice! I'm definitely going to look up your suggestions, thanks again! : )
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
May 8, 2013 5:10:00 AM

DharmaRecruit said:
pell380 said:
tell me budget

in my opinion a gtx 680 is a very good option if its in your budget go for it


Hi there, sorry, I forgot to specify my budget! I'm looking to spend around £700+ ($1000+) on my graphics card and £600+ / $900+ on a good quality monitor (24'' or 26'') to compliment my card. Do you have any recommendations for both? Thanks so much! : )


I would go for a Dell Ultrasharp U2713H monitor with that budget. This is a 27" monitor with a 2560*1440 resolution. It has an IPS panel, which gives very sharp colours.

m
0
l
May 8, 2013 5:11:19 AM

madcap42 said:
Yeah gtx 680 is good but you could save yourself a little and go for 670 i have two in sli gigabyte's gtx 670 3x windforce it's upto you i guess both great cards


Thanks Madcap42 for your considered advice - it would appear that the 670/680 are popular graphics cards, if I go for the 670 will it be able to handle my games as well as the 680 in terms of speed and detail? Thanks again! : )
m
0
l
May 8, 2013 5:15:10 AM

ThomasJ93 said:
DharmaRecruit said:
pell380 said:
tell me budget

in my opinion a gtx 680 is a very good option if its in your budget go for it


Hi there, sorry, I forgot to specify my budget! I'm looking to spend around £700+ ($1000+) on my graphics card and £600+ / $900+ on a good quality monitor (24'' or 26'') to compliment my card. Do you have any recommendations for both? Thanks so much! : )


I would go for a Dell Ultrasharp U2713H monitor with that budget. This is a 27" monitor with a 2560*1440 resolution. It has an IPS panel, which gives very sharp colours.



Wow! That's one nice monitor with a nice price. I've had a look on youtube and it's exactly what I would love. Everytime I've been to my local computer store the employees have always tried to get me to spend big on monitors which don't really seem that great but this looks really nice. Would the 680 graphics card look good and run well on this monitor? Thanks once again!! : )
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
May 8, 2013 5:17:04 AM

The 680 would be a great card to go with it. A friend of mine has a 680 and a 2560*2440 Dell monitor (not sure about the model) and I haven't heard him complain about not being able to play games well.
m
0
l
May 8, 2013 5:17:31 AM

DharmaRecruit said:
madcap42 said:
Yeah gtx 680 is good but you could save yourself a little and go for 670 i have two in sli gigabyte's gtx 670 3x windforce it's upto you i guess both great cards


Thanks Madcap42 for your considered advice - it would appear that the 670/680 are popular graphics cards, if I go for the 670 will it be able to handle my games as well as the 680 in terms of speed and detail? Thanks again! : )


100% so i used a single one for ages in a amd fx 8150 and i7 3770k played bf3 ultra settings no problems in the i7 and am currently using 120 hz monitor with this setup
m
0
l
May 8, 2013 5:21:22 AM

ThomasJ93 said:
The 680 would be a great card to go with it. A friend of mine has a 680 and a 2560*2440 Dell monitor (not sure about the model) and I haven't heard him complain about not being able to play games well.


Nice! : )
I'm I wrong in assuming that a matte screen, such as provided in the Dell, is much nicer for playing games because it has anti-glare?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
May 8, 2013 5:24:22 AM

DharmaRecruit said:
ThomasJ93 said:
The 680 would be a great card to go with it. A friend of mine has a 680 and a 2560*2440 Dell monitor (not sure about the model) and I haven't heard him complain about not being able to play games well.


Nice! : )
I'm I wrong in assuming that a matte screen, such as provided in the Dell, is much nicer for playing games because it has anti-glare?


Matte or glossy is a matter of personal preference. One of my screens is a glossy one, with the other one being matte. Personally I prefer the glossy one. I also use this one to game on. The only issue I sometimes have, is that the sun is shining on it.
m
0
l
May 8, 2013 5:52:24 AM

ThomasJ93 said:
DharmaRecruit said:
ThomasJ93 said:
The 680 would be a great card to go with it. A friend of mine has a 680 and a 2560*2440 Dell monitor (not sure about the model) and I haven't heard him complain about not being able to play games well.


Nice! : )
I'm I wrong in assuming that a matte screen, such as provided in the Dell, is much nicer for playing games because it has anti-glare?


Matte or glossy is a matter of personal preference. One of my screens is a glossy one, with the other one being matte. Personally I prefer the glossy one. I also use this one to game on. The only issue I sometimes have, is that the sun is shining on it.


Thanks very much Thomas, your help and everyone else here has been invaluable! : )
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
May 8, 2013 6:57:20 AM

I would suggest that you get a 670 or 680 4gb, just because you are above 1080p and games are quickly growing in video ram usage, then if that doesn't offer the performance you want buy another and put it in sli
m
0
l
May 8, 2013 7:07:32 AM

I was wondering, would you suggest that I buy an i7 or an i5 for my graphics card?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
May 8, 2013 7:12:31 AM

For gaming, an i5 is fine. If you wish to do more CPU intensive tasks like video rendering and such, you should get an i7.
m
0
l
May 8, 2013 7:25:35 AM

ThomasJ93 said:
For gaming, an i5 is fine. If you wish to do more CPU intensive tasks like video rendering and such, you should get an i7.


Thanks Thomas, I was initially thinking of purchasing an i7-3770k - I have an i7 in my laptop at the moment and it's pretty speedy so I think I will go for an i7.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
May 8, 2013 7:56:35 AM

Since you have the budget for an i7, go for it. Never know when the extra speeds comes in handy.
m
0
l
May 8, 2013 8:26:25 AM

I will say GeForce GTX 690 or the newer Geforce 700 equivalent. Nvidia support physX and cuda.

If you want to play only on single 1080p monitor you don't need core i7 Neither GTX 690. GTX 670 i5-3570 is perfect for 1080p

You will see high cards for games like metro last light. But they consider larger resolution as default these days.
m
0
l
!