i5 3330 bottleneck with a gt 620 (oc'd to clocks of a 630)

Xyloriuphon

Honorable
Nov 17, 2012
Hello, im planning to upgrade my mobo and CPU, so i can fit it into a new case, to continue upgrading, but, since i've currently got a bottleneck (cpu is i5 660, stock) im wondering what the percentage of the bottleneck is, if you know what i mean, and, if i was to get a bigger CPU, and then later on get a better GPU (GT640, GTX 650 or GTX 650ti),

How much would the bottleneck be with a i5 3330 and a Gt 620 is basically what im asking..

EDIT: would the performance for games be the same as it is now, beacuse of the bottleneck?

Solution
It depends on the game. Some games use the gpu more and some the cpu. If you want better performance get a better gpu. You will notice next to no improvement, even if you upgraded to an i7-3970x, if you keep that gpu.

Xyloriuphon

Honorable
Nov 17, 2012

Okay, but the problem is, im wanting a new case, so i can fit a new GPU, since i've got a slimline case, not even sure how i fit a G-skill in it, but, its a slimline BTX format case, which is why i need a new CPU+MOBO...

EDIT: so, what your saying, is, that i have not got any bottleneck right now? although whenever i run something, the GPU usage stays at 99% but, lowest i got in a game was something like 89%... then went straight back up, and that was in Planetside 2

EDIT2: anyways, all im wanting to know, is what percentage the bottleneck is, and will be at, is there anyway to check?

Xyloriuphon

Honorable
Nov 17, 2012
Well, i guess until i get a new GPU, i will have to either leave it with the Gt620, or use the integrated graphics... But, it would still help if you could answer 2 questions:
What percentage is the bottleneck likely to be at
and
would i shorten the life of ANYTHING with a bottleneck?

It depends on the game. Some games use the gpu more and some the cpu. If you want better performance get a better gpu. You will notice next to no improvement, even if you upgraded to an i7-3970x, if you keep that gpu.

Solution

ihog

Distinguished

1. There is none.

2. No.

Xyloriuphon

Honorable
Nov 17, 2012

Well, then, why does my GPU run at 99% when running even NFS Underground 2?

I would think there is a bottleneck somewhere... But, if there isnt, then i guess with my thread about motherboards, that guy was wrong... But anyways, thanks... I guess i will get a new CPU+motherboard, then live with a bottleneck for a bit...

ihog

Distinguished
Your GPU will run at a high percentage because it is doing its job. What is your CPU load?

The way you worded it, it sounded like you were asking if your processor is bottlenecking your GPU.

If I understand now, you will almost always have a bottleneck one way or another.

Xyloriuphon

Honorable
Nov 17, 2012

Ah, okay, well, CPU usage for planetside 2 was about 50-60% NFS MW was 10-20% with 99% load on gpu... So, i would think the GPU is bottlenecking the system, but, the only way to fix it is,
CPU+MOBO->Case->GPU

Xyloriuphon

Honorable
Nov 17, 2012

Yes i understand, but, i have half brackets, not full size, and a 240W psu in a slimline, BTX motherboard, so, i need to upgrade the MOBO, but to do that, it needs a new CPU, then a CASE, then a GPU, If you understand...

1366831093_504419098_2-HP-Compaq-8100-Elite-SFF-CORE-i5-pc-for-sale-Rawalpindi.jpg

Xyloriuphon

Honorable
Nov 17, 2012

Yeah, i've said i have a slimline for a while, anyways, yeah, gonna save the HDD, disk drive, Ram, and GPU, until i can afford a new GPU, so, yeah, thanks for understanding :D