Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Can I Slightly Overclock i5-3570K with Stock Cooler?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
May 8, 2013 12:32:34 PM

Hi All,

Quick question...

I just purchased a Core i5-3570K and a Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H motherboard. This is a budget build so I am not purchasing an elaborate motherboard or aftermarket cpu cooler. I am content leaving the cpu at its stock 3.4GHz. However, I was just wondering with this low end motherboard and stock intel cpu cooler could I safely overclock the cpu just a little? Say 3.5, 3.6 or 3.7GHz?
Thanks in advance for your help.
a c 125 K Overclocking
a c 189 à CPUs
May 8, 2013 12:48:05 PM

mp33 said:
Hi All,

Quick question...

I just purchased a Core i5-3570K and a Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H motherboard. This is a budget build so I am not purchasing an elaborate motherboard or aftermarket cpu cooler. I am content leaving the cpu at its stock 3.4GHz. However, I was just wondering with this low end motherboard and stock intel cpu cooler could I safely overclock the cpu just a little? Say 3.5, 3.6 or 3.7GHz?
Thanks in advance for your help.


Its turbo frequency is 3.8GHz, so you can aim for that. Should be perfectly fine, just keep an eye on temps.
May 8, 2013 12:50:00 PM

With that motherboard, you simply can't overclock. Period. You need a Z77 mobo if you want to overclock your CPU!
Related resources
a c 125 K Overclocking
a c 189 à CPUs
May 8, 2013 12:53:41 PM

Johnny_C13 said:
With that motherboard, you simply can't overclock. Period. You need a Z77 mobo if you want to overclock your CPU!


B75 allows for Boost OCing, while the multiplier is not unlocked you can set the the boost 3.8GHz as the permanent speed easily.

Technically its not really an OC that way BUT it give you some performance improvement in some cases. Now the B75 can actually REALLY OC via boost, but the clock speed needs to remain within the possilities of the stock voltage. so that +/-1.23Volts. So realisticly with a CPU cooler you can reach 4.2 on the Boost clock no problem.
a b à CPUs
May 8, 2013 12:57:37 PM

Johnny_C13 said:
With that motherboard, you simply can't overclock. Period. You need a Z77 mobo if you want to overclock your CPU!


pretty misleading statement. you can overclock with plenty of 1155 socket motherboards. i dont have a z77 and i have overclocked my cpu.
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
May 8, 2013 12:58:41 PM

So why in the world are you spending the extra money on a K series CPU if you have no intentions of overclocking it in the manner it was designed for ?
a c 125 K Overclocking
a c 189 à CPUs
May 8, 2013 12:59:26 PM

carowden said:
Johnny_C13 said:
With that motherboard, you simply can't overclock. Period. You need a Z77 mobo if you want to overclock your CPU!


pretty misleading statement. you can overclock with plenty of 1155 socket motherboards. i dont have a z77 and i have overclocked my cpu.


There was his mistake. :D 
a b K Overclocking
a c 87 à CPUs
May 8, 2013 1:02:19 PM

Johnny_C13 said:
With that motherboard, you simply can't overclock. Period. You need a Z77 mobo if you want to overclock your CPU!

Z75 says hi.
May 8, 2013 1:07:08 PM

I bought the K series cpu because it was actually about $2 cheaper on amazon than the regular i5-3570. I cancelled the B75 motherboard in favor of a Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H. I honestly would be happy with even a 200MHz overclock (3.6GHz) with the stock intel cooler. This is a budget system so not looking for anything crazy. Just thought I could get a "little" boost in performance.
a c 125 K Overclocking
a c 189 à CPUs
May 8, 2013 1:07:36 PM

Sakkura said:
Johnny_C13 said:
With that motherboard, you simply can't overclock. Period. You need a Z77 mobo if you want to overclock your CPU!

Z75 says hi.


Well said!
a c 125 K Overclocking
a c 189 à CPUs
May 8, 2013 1:09:43 PM

mp33 said:
I bought the K series cpu because it was actually about $2 cheaper on amazon than the regular i5-3570. I cancelled the B75 motherboard in favor of a Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H. I honestly would be happy with even a 200MHz overclock (3.6GHz) with the stock intel cooler. This is a budget system so not looking for anything crazy. Just thought I could get a "little" boost in performance.


The thing is right, by OCing to 3.6Ghz you will screw with Intel Turbo Boost, you may actually loose performance, so either go 3.8GHz or don't bother in my opinion.
May 8, 2013 1:17:03 PM

Thanks for your help. I think I will go with your advice and go with the 3.8GHz overclock. I've never had an unlocked cpu before. Currently have a i7 930 with a massive noctua dh14 cooler overclocked to 3.57 GHz.

So in essence all I have to do in the new bios is change the multiplier from 34 to 38 and I'm set? And this should be safe with the stock intel cooler?
a b K Overclocking
a c 79 à CPUs
May 8, 2013 1:21:15 PM

no. run prime95 on all4 cores and you will see that i5 overheat at stock clocks with the stock cooler, and throttle back its clocks (assuming you have your bios set up properly. unless the ambient temp is 10-15C it will overheat with stock cooler with 100% load on 4 cores. so get prime95 and load up all cores, and get hwmonitor to check temps. the stock cooler is too thin to dissipate all that heat.
a c 125 K Overclocking
a c 189 à CPUs
May 8, 2013 1:22:34 PM

mp33 said:
Thanks for your help. I think I will go with your advice and go with the 3.8GHz overclock. I've never had an unlocked cpu before. Currently have a i7 930 with a massive noctua dh14 cooler overclocked to 3.57 GHz.

So in essence all I have to do in the new bios is change the multiplier from 34 to 38 and I'm set? And this should be safe with the stock intel cooler?


I do not think the B75 will allow you to change the multiplier. You will have to go into the BIOS and check.
a b K Overclocking
a c 87 à CPUs
May 8, 2013 1:23:38 PM

iam2thecrowe said:
no. run prime95 on all4 cores and you will see that i5 overheat at stock clocks with the stock cooler, and throttle back its clocks (assuming you have your bios set up properly. unless the ambient temp is 10-15C it will overheat with stock cooler with 100% load on 4 cores. so get prime95 and load up all cores, and get hwmonitor to check temps. the stock cooler is too thin to dissipate all that heat.

My Core i5-3450 at 3.7 GHz doesn't overheat or throttle on stock cooling. I can't speak for 3.8 GHz (at least not with all 4 cores under load), but I'd say it should work just fine.
May 8, 2013 1:24:19 PM

Ok, I am now thinking I will pick up a cheap aftermarket cooler to achieve say a 4.0GHz overclock. So with the i5-3570K and GA-Z77-DS3H, what would be a good cooler to invest in? Say $45 or less?
a c 125 K Overclocking
a c 189 à CPUs
May 8, 2013 1:25:25 PM

iam2thecrowe said:
no. run prime95 on all4 cores and you will see that i5 overheat at stock clocks with the stock cooler, and throttle back its clocks (assuming you have your bios set up properly. unless the ambient temp is 10-15C it will overheat with stock cooler with 100% load on 4 cores. so get prime95 and load up all cores, and get hwmonitor to check temps. the stock cooler is too thin to dissipate all that heat.


Ivy is damn cool with stock voltages. Hell with 3.8GHz he could probably DROP volts and REDUCE heat.
May 8, 2013 1:33:44 PM

Novuake said:
Johnny_C13 said:
With that motherboard, you simply can't overclock. Period. You need a Z77 mobo if you want to overclock your CPU!


B75 allows for Boost OCing, while the multiplier is not unlocked you can set the the boost 3.8GHz as the permanent speed easily.

Technically its not really an OC that way BUT it give you some performance improvement in some cases. Now the B75 can actually REALLY OC via boost, but the clock speed needs to remain within the possilities of the stock voltage. so that +/-1.23Volts. So realisticly with a CPU cooler you can reach 4.2 on the Boost clock no problem.


Ooops! My mistake, although I didn't really consider Boost as "true" overclocking. But you're right, though.

a c 125 K Overclocking
a c 189 à CPUs
May 8, 2013 1:35:34 PM

Johnny_C13 said:
Novuake said:
Johnny_C13 said:
With that motherboard, you simply can't overclock. Period. You need a Z77 mobo if you want to overclock your CPU!


B75 allows for Boost OCing, while the multiplier is not unlocked you can set the the boost 3.8GHz as the permanent speed easily.

Technically its not really an OC that way BUT it give you some performance improvement in some cases. Now the B75 can actually REALLY OC via boost, but the clock speed needs to remain within the possilities of the stock voltage. so that +/-1.23Volts. So realisticly with a CPU cooler you can reach 4.2 on the Boost clock no problem.


Ooops! My mistake, although I didn't really consider Boost as "true" overclocking. But you're right, though.



All good, careful. :p 
May 8, 2013 1:44:29 PM

Thanks Novuake. I purchased that cooler. So as previously discussed I'm going with...

i5-3570K
Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM fan

The rest of the build is...
G Skill Ares 2 X 4GB DDR3 1600 CAS 8 (F3-1600C8D-8GAB)
CM Storm Scout 2 Mid Tower Case
Corsair CX600
Crucial M500 120GB SSD
Windows 8 OEM 64-bit
Samsung 24x DVDRW
Sapphire 7870 XT 2GB

and an old 400GB SATA hard drive I have laying around. Will add another large hard drive in the future.

Any comments or suggestions?
a c 125 K Overclocking
a c 189 à CPUs
May 8, 2013 1:46:59 PM

Hmmm how much are you paying for that Gigabyte board? If its not cheap as hell I would suggest something else.
May 8, 2013 1:49:59 PM

$104.99, cheapest gigabyte z77 on amazon. whats wrong with it compared to the more expensive z77s?
a c 125 K Overclocking
a c 189 à CPUs
May 8, 2013 1:52:28 PM

mp33 said:
$104.99, cheapest gigabyte z77 on amazon. whats wrong with it compared to the more expensive z77s?


Horrible VRMs... LOL

Can you stretch for an Asrock Extreme 4? Should be around 130$.
May 8, 2013 1:58:52 PM

I don't know what a VRM is. I'd prefer to stick with the gigabyte brand. I'm looking at GA-Z77X-UD3H ($139.99) and GA-Z77X-D3H ($137.99). Would one of these be a substantial advantage over the $104.99 model?
a c 125 K Overclocking
a c 189 à CPUs
May 8, 2013 2:03:09 PM

mp33 said:
I don't know what a VRM is. I'd prefer to stick with the gigabyte brand. I'm looking at GA-Z77X-UD3H ($139.99) and GA-Z77X-D3H ($137.99). Would one of these be a substantial advantage over the $104.99 model?


They are considerably better, but not as much as the Asrock.

VRM : Voltage Regulator Module. The better the VRM, the more stable voltages, the more reliable your OC is and the longer your components last.
May 8, 2013 2:08:48 PM

Ok, I upgraded to the UD3H gigabyte board. Just partial to that brand, never had one and want one this time around, just a weird preference. Thanks a lot for your time and help. Much appreciated!
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
May 8, 2013 2:09:58 PM

The "UD" in the GA-Z77X-UD3H is a gigabyte product line which stands for "Ultra Durable" What this gets you is a higher quality PCB (the board the motherboard is actually made of) Higher quality VRM's, solid capacitors for longer life and sometimes better cooling on the VRM's and chip sets. For only $2.00 more than the GA-Z77X-D3H, it's a no brainer to go for the GA-Z77X-UD3H
May 8, 2013 2:20:10 PM

I went with the UD3H, thanks again, big big help!! much better, faster system for not too much more money, quite pleased!
a c 125 K Overclocking
a c 189 à CPUs
May 8, 2013 2:26:54 PM

mp33 said:
Ok, I upgraded to the UD3H gigabyte board. Just partial to that brand, never had one and want one this time around, just a weird preference. Thanks a lot for your time and help. Much appreciated!


No prob. Preference is just one of those things. :D 

Its a pleasure, I believe you are set.
a b K Overclocking
a c 79 à CPUs
May 9, 2013 1:38:02 PM

Novuake said:
iam2thecrowe said:
no. run prime95 on all4 cores and you will see that i5 overheat at stock clocks with the stock cooler, and throttle back its clocks (assuming you have your bios set up properly. unless the ambient temp is 10-15C it will overheat with stock cooler with 100% load on 4 cores. so get prime95 and load up all cores, and get hwmonitor to check temps. the stock cooler is too thin to dissipate all that heat.


Ivy is damn cool with stock voltages. Hell with 3.8GHz he could probably DROP volts and REDUCE heat.


I found with the stock cooler, and many other people have too, that the cpu is hitting over 80c under full prime95 load on all cores with the stock cooler at stock clocks. Now I know that the cpu is rated to 105C but I like to keep mine well under 80c for long term use. Like I said, will depend on ambient temp, but have you actually seen how thin the stock heatsink is?

that thing wouldn't cool my nuts on a warm day.
May 9, 2013 1:53:39 PM

Instead of the Sapphire 7870XT why not go with the Powercolor Myst edition? TomsHardware review on the card think of it more of a 7930 than a 7870
a c 125 K Overclocking
a c 189 à CPUs
May 9, 2013 1:55:41 PM

al10677 said:
Instead of the Sapphire 7870XT why not go with the Powercolor Myst edition? TomsHardware review on the card think of it more of a 7930 than a 7870


The Sapphire XT/LE is THE SAME as the damn Myst card... OMW facepalm!
May 9, 2013 1:57:48 PM

Novuake said:
al10677 said:
Instead of the Sapphire 7870XT why not go with the Powercolor Myst edition? TomsHardware review on the card think of it more of a 7930 than a 7870


The Sapphire XT/LE is THE SAME as the damn Myst card... OMW facepalm!


I know that they're both XT/LE >.< im not stupid :D  however its a better option than the sapphire card

May 9, 2013 1:59:19 PM

Especially considering its cheaper aswell :D 
a c 125 K Overclocking
a c 189 à CPUs
May 9, 2013 2:04:57 PM

al10677 said:
Especially considering its cheaper aswell :D 


Explain then how the Myst is better? Other than the price.

May 9, 2013 2:08:24 PM

Novuake said:
al10677 said:
Especially considering its cheaper aswell :D 


Explain then how the Myst is better? Other than the price.




The reason its better is the price >.>, other than that its exactly the same card.
He mentioned wanting to get the cheapest but best performance so thats what im trying to do- reduce his price while not decreasing performance :D 

a c 125 K Overclocking
a c 189 à CPUs
May 9, 2013 2:16:34 PM

al10677 said:
Novuake said:
al10677 said:
Especially considering its cheaper aswell :D 


Explain then how the Myst is better? Other than the price.




The reason its better is the price >.>, other than that its exactly the same card.
He mentioned wanting to get the cheapest but best performance so thats what im trying to do- reduce his price while not decreasing performance :D 



Its not exactly the same CARD, its the same GPU chip.

Anyway point is, Sapphire uses a better PCB, better VRMs and a VASTLY superior cooler which is quieter and better cooled.

Not to mention the price is barely more... So now ask yourself if reliabilty and silence is worth that small increase in price?
May 9, 2013 2:20:42 PM

Novuake said:
al10677 said:
Novuake said:
al10677 said:
Especially considering its cheaper aswell :D 


Explain then how the Myst is better? Other than the price.




The reason its better is the price >.>, other than that its exactly the same card.
He mentioned wanting to get the cheapest but best performance so thats what im trying to do- reduce his price while not decreasing performance :D 



Its not exactly the same CARD, its the same GPU chip.

Anyway point is, Sapphire uses a better PCB, better VRMs and a VASTLY superior cooler which is quieter and better cooled.

Not to mention the price is barely more... So now ask yourself if reliabilty and silence is worth that small increase in price?


Well it depends on the person- one mans perception of quite is anothers headache. However the money saved is a prime factor, regardless of silence/heat, it depends mostly on the buyer and user of the GPU/CPU in question.
May 9, 2013 2:27:46 PM

It's the most useless lump of aluminum I've ever seen in my whole life.
a c 125 K Overclocking
a c 189 à CPUs
May 9, 2013 2:35:24 PM

al10677 said:
Novuake said:
al10677 said:
Novuake said:
al10677 said:
Especially considering its cheaper aswell :D 


Explain then how the Myst is better? Other than the price.




The reason its better is the price >.>, other than that its exactly the same card.
He mentioned wanting to get the cheapest but best performance so thats what im trying to do- reduce his price while not decreasing performance :D 



Its not exactly the same CARD, its the same GPU chip.

Anyway point is, Sapphire uses a better PCB, better VRMs and a VASTLY superior cooler which is quieter and better cooled.

Not to mention the price is barely more... So now ask yourself if reliabilty and silence is worth that small increase in price?


Well it depends on the person- one mans perception of quite is anothers headache. However the money saved is a prime factor, regardless of silence/heat, it depends mostly on the buyer and user of the GPU/CPU in question.


While I do not disagree with you, reliability is important to anyone with a brain...
a c 125 K Overclocking
a c 189 à CPUs
May 9, 2013 2:39:55 PM

timil said:
It's the most useless lump of aluminum I've ever seen in my whole life.


Not as bad as AMD APUs stock cooler...
a b K Overclocking
a c 87 à CPUs
May 9, 2013 2:45:52 PM

iam2thecrowe said:
I found with the stock cooler, and many other people have too, that the cpu is hitting over 80c under full prime95 load on all cores with the stock cooler at stock clocks. Now I know that the cpu is rated to 105C but I like to keep mine well under 80c for long term use. Like I said, will depend on ambient temp, but have you actually seen how thin the stock heatsink is?

that thing wouldn't cool my nuts on a warm day.

Like I said above, my Core i5-3450 runs just fine at 3.7 GHz with the stock cooler. Maybe some people just have really crappy case airflow.

Best solution

a c 125 K Overclocking
a c 189 à CPUs
July 12, 2013 11:34:35 AM
Share

OP, please select best answer so we don't get so many bumps...
October 31, 2013 2:13:49 AM

mp33 said:
Ok, I am now thinking I will pick up a cheap aftermarket cooler to achieve say a 4.0GHz overclock. So with the i5-3570K and GA-Z77-DS3H, what would be a good cooler to invest in? Say $45 or less?


Get yourself a Be quiet shadow rock top flow, they're brilliant
a b à CPUs
October 31, 2013 6:37:08 AM

picked a solution just so this old topic stops being brought back from the dead
a c 125 K Overclocking
a c 189 à CPUs
October 31, 2013 6:45:05 AM

carowden said:
picked a solution just so this old topic stops being brought back from the dead


TY!! For heavens sake!
!