7200 RPM DUAL HARD DRIVE vs 5400 RPM HYBRID - Which is better?

Bach0

Distinguished
May 2, 2013
Hi guys,so i need HDD for my Notebook NOT desktop.Suggest which one to take...
Here is my configuration for HP Envy dv7t 7000 quad edition series
• Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
• System Recovery DVD with Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
• 3rd generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3610QM Processor (2.3 GHz, 6MB L3 Cache)
• NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GT 650M Graphics with 2GB GDDR5 memory [HDMI, VGA]
• 8GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
• 750GB 5400RPM Hybrid Hard Drive/ 1.5TB 7200 rpm Dual Hard Drive
• NO mSSD Hard Drive Acceleration Cache
• No Additional Office Software
• No additional security software
• Two 9-Cell Lithium-Ion Batteries
• 17.3-inch diagonal High Definition BrightView LED-backlit Display (1600 x 900)
• Blu-ray player & SuperMulti DVD burner
• HP TrueVision HD Webcam
• Intel 802.11b/g/n WLAN and Bluetooth(R)
• Standard Keyboard with numeric keypad

Note:
750GB or 1.5TB they are both OK with me i just need to know which is faster and performs better...

Solution
Yeah its a seagate; their new hybrid drives are 5400rpm.

bach0 - what are your uses for the pc/drives? the 1.5tb dual hdd sounds like a raid0 to me so its twice as fast as a single 7200rpm drive with twice the risk of loosing all your data (if 1 drive fails you loose the data on both drives)

Personally I would go with the free drive and then install an SSD in the second drive slot myself. Hp wants $180 for the 1.5Tb upgrade which would get you a nice sized SSD from sites like Newegg. You can even catch a great 256gb SSd when its on sale.

Bach0

Distinguished
May 2, 2013

Thanks for your reply,there is no more information provided i guess...here is the link http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products/Laptops/HP-Pavilion/A3G47AV?HP-Pavilion-dv7t-7000-Quad-Edition-Entertainment-Notebook-PC (press customize and there will be HDD to choose)still i can ask them directly through mail, if they are so close to each other,anyway i wont have any more information until tomorrow...

popatim

Titan
Yeah its a seagate; their new hybrid drives are 5400rpm.

bach0 - what are your uses for the pc/drives? the 1.5tb dual hdd sounds like a raid0 to me so its twice as fast as a single 7200rpm drive with twice the risk of loosing all your data (if 1 drive fails you loose the data on both drives)

Personally I would go with the free drive and then install an SSD in the second drive slot myself. Hp wants $180 for the 1.5Tb upgrade which would get you a nice sized SSD from sites like Newegg. You can even catch a great 256gb SSd when its on sale.

Solution

Bach0

Distinguished
May 2, 2013

Thank you for your help.I will follow your advice,i just don't know if i will be able to install SSD as a second drive on my notebook for ths particular model,also probably i will have to reinstall windows on that SSD,i don't know if notebook or bios will allow me to change Operating System(like preinstalled win8 notebooks don't allow downgrading,i also got email saying there will be some issues with drivers and bios if i do that with windows8)