Solved

Upgrade from i3-3220 to i5-3570k?Or upgrade Sapp. Radeon 7770 to 7850?

I built a budget gaming PC about 2 months ago.From learning what I have so far, my PC is crap.I want to upgrade.Should I just go for the 3570k to assure quad-core gaming for the future?Or bump up the GPU?I am thinking the GPU is good for short term, and the i5 will obviously be better for the long run....Any suggestions?

Asrock H77m
G.Skill Sniper Series 8gb (2x4)
Radeon 7770 Ghz Ed.
Corsair 500w 80+ Bronze
Cooler Master 431 Elite Plus.
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about upgrade 3220 3570k upgrade sapp radeon 7770 7850
  1. Best answer
    If you're kinda in a hurry to play games with better settings, then get the GPU first, then later the i5 (because your i3 is still decent for gaming).
  2. Johnny828 said:
    If you're kinda in a hurry to play games with better settings, then get the GPU first, then later the i5 (because your i3 is still decent for gaming).



    That's exactly what I was assuming.I am getting the GPU, to play some games @ higher settings.Then upgrading to the i5 for quad-core...Thanks for the reply.
  3. I would just wait if you're not into a big rush... Intel releasing Haswell very soon... GTX 7xx series in less than a month... and you know the HD 8xxx series won't be far behind... at the very least this will net you discounts on the 7850...

    If you ARE in a rush, upgrade that GPU. My reasoning is, you just bought that motherboard, so I would just wait it out until you absolutely get bottlenecked by the CPU, and THEN upgrade your CPU and mobo to the Haswell, or the tock version by that time (which uses 1150 sockets motherboards...)
  4. Definitely upgrade the GPU. if you sell the 7770, you can definitely get the 7850 with that extra $100
  5. if you're going to get a 3570K, you may as well get a Z77 motherboard along with it. otherwise, you just wasted your spending on a feature you won't utilize. if you got no plans to get a Z77 motherboard or no interest in OCing at all, there's the i5-3330 or 3350P or a 3470 if you have a Microcenter nearby.

    you're more likely to see a considerable improvement with a GPU upgrade over the CPU, depending on the game. a dual core isn't just going to suddenly become obsolete as soon as next gen games come around. you got a good deal of time to save up and upgrade to an i5. hopefully, by then, there'd be a price cut.

    but if you're fine with your current graphics performance, a CPU upgrade isn't so bad an idea; deal with the most frustrating upgrade now, the CPU (bent pins, re-applying thermal paste, etc.), and go for the easier one, the GPU, later.
  6. Johnny_C13 said:
    I would just wait if you're not into a big rush... Intel releasing Haswell very soon... GTX 7xx series in less than a month... and you know the HD 8xxx series won't be far behind... at the very least this will net you discounts on the 7850...

    If you ARE in a rush, upgrade that GPU. My reasoning is, you just bought that motherboard, so I would just wait it out until you absolutely get bottlenecked by the CPU, and THEN upgrade your CPU and mobo to the Haswell, or the tock version by that time (which uses 1150 sockets motherboards...)


    Ha! I got into the PC game on a budget and thats where I am staying for a while!All these new GPU/CPU will be far, far, far out of my price range.I am going for the GPU.Something around $200-$250 USD.Just to get a visual representation of where my $200 went.......i5 is gonna be next on the list, then mobo, then maybe a new GPU, and a new PSU to Crossfire :( $$$$$$$$......$$$$$$$$$


    Anonymous said:
    if you're going to get a 3570K, you may as well get a Z77 motherboard along with it. otherwise, you just wasted your spending on a feature you won't utilize. if you got no plans to get a Z77 motherboard or no interest in OCing at all, there's the i5-3330 or 3350P or a 3470 if you have a Microcenter nearby.

    you're more likely to see a considerable improvement with a GPU upgrade over the CPU, depending on the game. a dual core isn't just going to suddenly become obsolete as soon as next gen games come around. you got a good deal of time to save up and upgrade to an i5. hopefully, by then, there'd be a price cut.

    but if you're fine with your current graphics performance, a CPU upgrade isn't so bad an idea; deal with the most frustrating upgrade now, the CPU (bent pins, re-applying thermal paste, etc.), and go for the easier one, the GPU, later.
  7. 3 weeks till 4th intel i core comes out, i recommend that you wait fo it
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards CPUs Components