Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Would a video card with a PCI 3.0x16 interface work ok in evga x58 sli le with PCI 2.0x16 interface?

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
a c 212 V Motherboard
a c 218 U Graphics card
May 9, 2013 6:53:02 AM

Yes, the PCIe 3.0 devices are backwards compatible with earlier PCIe standards. Not a problem.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
May 9, 2013 7:11:32 AM

COLGeek said:
Yes, the PCIe 3.0 devices are backwards compatible with earlier PCIe standards. Not a problem.


AMD (current) PCI-E 3.0 cards are NOT generally backwards compatible to PCI-E 1.1 and earlier, but Nvidia PCI-E 3.0 cards usually are. See this issue discussed here:

http://www.overclock.net/a/the-final-answer-to-the-controversial-pcie-x16-version-compatibility

I'm aware the OP has PCi-E 2.0 slots, so this doesn't apply, but just to clarify on the general compatibility status of PCi-E 3.0 on earlier gen PCi-E slots.
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 212 V Motherboard
a c 218 U Graphics card
May 9, 2013 7:25:09 AM

Maxx_Power said:
COLGeek said:
Yes, the PCIe 3.0 devices are backwards compatible with earlier PCIe standards. Not a problem.


AMD (current) PCI-E 3.0 cards are NOT generally backwards compatible to PCI-E 1.1 and earlier, but Nvidia PCI-E 3.0 cards usually are. See this issue discussed here:

http://www.overclock.net/a/the-final-answer-to-the-controversial-pcie-x16-version-compatibility

I'm aware the OP has PCi-E 2.0 slots, so this doesn't apply, but just to clarify on the general compatibility status of PCi-E 3.0 on earlier gen PCi-E slots.

True and good points. Was just trying to not overwhelm the OP with too much info. Excellent background material, BTW.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
May 9, 2013 11:07:36 AM

COLGeek said:
Maxx_Power said:
COLGeek said:
Yes, the PCIe 3.0 devices are backwards compatible with earlier PCIe standards. Not a problem.


AMD (current) PCI-E 3.0 cards are NOT generally backwards compatible to PCI-E 1.1 and earlier, but Nvidia PCI-E 3.0 cards usually are. See this issue discussed here:

http://www.overclock.net/a/the-final-answer-to-the-controversial-pcie-x16-version-compatibility

I'm aware the OP has PCi-E 2.0 slots, so this doesn't apply, but just to clarify on the general compatibility status of PCi-E 3.0 on earlier gen PCi-E slots.

True and good points. Was just trying to not overwhelm the OP with too much info. Excellent background material, BTW.


Cheers!
m
0
l
!