About Me: I'm a health professions graduate student that is looking for an inexpensive laptop that will last me for at least 3 years. I typically use a computer to use Microsoft Office, take notes in class, stream videos/music, and derp around on various internet websites. I take very good care of my computers and don't bang em up, toss them around, etc.
1. Are refurbished laptops from Newegg reliable/in good condition? I've bought a refurbished tablet from them last year with no problems, but I'd like to hear your opinion. I don't want it to bust on me 5 months in. ):
2. Will Windows 8 be able to install the programs I used before on Windows 7? For instance, will my 2007 Microsoft Office be able to install on it?
3. Do any of the laptops I'm interested in seem reliable and worthwhile?
4. Which would you pick? I'm leaning towards the pink one myself.
Thanks for helping me out, and if you have any other suggestions feel free to let me know!
edit: It's actually Word 2007, sorry I didn't catch that!
1. Generally speaking, yes. They are fine.
2. Almost everything that runs on Win 7 will run on Win 8.
Supposedly, Windows 8 does not support Office 2003.
However, people have reported it running OK. (Read down in the comments here)
And MS support for Office 2003 runs out April 2014. So you might look at upgrading anyway. Or go to the free, mostly compatible, alternatives, OpenOffice and LibreOffice.
3. For <$300, both of those look fine for your intended use.
EDIT: I read that as Office 2003. Office 2007 should be fine.