Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

FX8350 cooling, could core temp be lying to me?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
May 10, 2013 7:12:19 AM

Ok, my issue isn't really an issue i guess. The setup is this- Asus's Sabertooth Gen3 the pcie 3.0 one, with a FX-8350, HD7950 gpu, now i have OC'd to 4.5ghz but thats for gaming and i dont even really use it all that often so i run the stock turbo of 4.2ghz. its at this point i run in to an oddity, from all the reviews i read before getting the FX most of them said the FX ran pretty warm, but thats not the case for me, Core temp is telling me im running around 10c, so is the motherboards temperature screen in the bios, i have a rosewill case got 3 fans, my cpu cooler is the coolermax 212evo with push pull, and i am wondering am i getting good data or is some thing wrong? these temps seem to good to be true even at the 4.5ghz oc i never went above 20c

last setup i had ran @ 30-40C with the phenomII on a gigabyte micro atx board, this is why i ask im not sure if these temps are normal
a b à CPUs
May 10, 2013 7:23:09 AM

Hi!

I also am the proud owner of an 8350, and i have to say my temperatures have yet to go over 40degrees. My CPU idles at around 25 degrees and under load is around 35 degrees. I understand that this is still higher than your own, but you are using a better cooler than me so it is possible that your 8350 is genuinely staying that cool. That being said however, I have not heard of a powerful CPU running at such a low temperature without watercooling.

Personally, I wouldnt worry about it for the time being, but if your PC starts crshing or BSODing, then possibly look into it a bit more. But if your PC runs fine then I wouldnt worry.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
May 10, 2013 7:25:06 AM

you could download a program like hw monitor to compare the results
m
0
l
Related resources
May 10, 2013 7:28:46 AM

grebgonebad said:
Hi!

I also am the proud owner of an 8350, and i have to say my temperatures have yet to go over 40degrees. My CPU idles at around 25 degrees and under load is around 35 degrees. I understand that this is still higher than your own, but you are using a better cooler than me so it is possible that your 8350 is genuinely staying that cool. That being said however, I have not heard of a powerful CPU running at such a low temperature without watercooling.

Personally, I wouldnt worry about it for the time being, but if your PC starts crshing or BSODing, then possibly look into it a bit more. But if your PC runs fine then I wouldnt worry.


yeah at this point in time im kinda just browsing the internets, and core temp is giving me 11C, but even last night when i had crysis 3 running max settings with FXAA i never went higher than 18-19C, thinking if this is good data i might try to push it to 5ghz and see what i get

m
0
l
a b à CPUs
May 10, 2013 7:32:22 AM

No, it is absolutely not possible it's that cool. unless it's 50 degrees F/10 degrees C in your room. It's not possible to cool below the enviroments temp obviously.

Core temp is known to be inaccurate, although a single bad sensor is also possible. Asus packages their boards with software to read.the motherboard sensors, and AMDs tools can read the actual CPU core temps accurately. Use them
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
May 10, 2013 7:37:39 AM

unksol said:
No, it is absolutely not possible it's that cool. unless it's 50 degrees F/10 degrees C in your room. It's not possible to cool below the enviroments temp obviously.

Core temp is known to be inaccurate, although a single bad sensor is also possible. Asus packages their boards with software to read.the motherboard sensors, and AMDs tools can read the actual CPU core temps accurately. Use them


I wouldn't go as far as to say that it is ABSOLUTLY impossible, as I have already stated, my 8350 keeps unusually cool even in hot weather.

Also, it's not just CPU temp thats giving him those results. His mobo says the same. So I would say that unless his mobo is faulty and is somehow giving the same reading as CPU temp, (A probability of apporximate value similar to Hitler being reincarnated as an easter egg XD), then the readings are sound. With a good, solid cooler working on a push/pull system, I would say its possible, if somewhat unbelievable. =)
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
May 10, 2013 7:37:55 AM

unksol said:
No, it is absolutely not possible it's that cool. unless it's 50 degrees F/10 degrees C in your room. It's not possible to cool below the enviroments temp obviously.

Core temp is known to be inaccurate, although a single bad sensor is also possible. Asus packages their boards with software to read.the motherboard sensors, and AMDs tools can read the actual CPU core temps accurately. Use them


I wouldn't go as far as to say that it is ABSOLUTLY impossible, as I have already stated, my 8350 keeps unusually cool even in hot weather.

Also, it's not just CPU temp thats giving him those results. His mobo says the same. So I would say that unless his mobo is faulty and is somehow giving the same reading as CPU temp, (A probability of apporximate value similar to Hitler being reincarnated as an easter egg XD), then the readings are sound. With a good, solid cooler working on a push/pull system, I would say its possible, if somewhat unbelievable. =)
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
May 10, 2013 7:38:07 AM

unksol said:
No, it is absolutely not possible it's that cool. unless it's 50 degrees F/10 degrees C in your room. It's not possible to cool below the enviroments temp obviously.

Core temp is known to be inaccurate, although a single bad sensor is also possible. Asus packages their boards with software to read.the motherboard sensors, and AMDs tools can read the actual CPU core temps accurately. Use them


I wouldn't go as far as to say that it is ABSOLUTLY impossible, as I have already stated, my 8350 keeps unusually cool even in hot weather.

Also, it's not just CPU temp thats giving him those results. His mobo says the same. So I would say that unless his mobo is faulty and is somehow giving the same reading as CPU temp, (A probability of apporximate value similar to Hitler being reincarnated as an easter egg XD), then the readings are sound. With a good, solid cooler working on a push/pull system, I would say its possible, if somewhat unbelievable. =)
m
0
l
May 10, 2013 7:43:47 AM

carowden said:
you could download a program like hw monitor to compare the results


HW monitor is giving me the same temps
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
May 10, 2013 7:46:10 AM

Of course, another possibility could be a virus. It would explain why two temp monitors and the mobo is giving the same temps. Improbable, but not impossible.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
May 10, 2013 7:50:58 AM

Have you tried running a stress test like Prime95 or Intel Burn Test to see how high your temps go and test your overclock's stability?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
May 10, 2013 7:53:13 AM

grebgonebad said:
unksol said:
No, it is absolutely not possible it's that cool. unless it's 50 degrees F/10 degrees C in your room. It's not possible to cool below the enviroments temp obviously.

Core temp is known to be inaccurate, although a single bad sensor is also possible. Asus packages their boards with software to read.the motherboard sensors, and AMDs tools can read the actual CPU core temps accurately. Use them


I wouldn't go as far as to say that it is ABSOLUTLY impossible, as I have already stated, my 8350 keeps unusually cool even in hot weather.

Also, it's not just CPU temp thats giving him those results. His mobo says the same. So I would say that unless his mobo is faulty and is somehow giving the same reading as CPU temp, (A probability of apporximate value similar to Hitler being reincarnated as an easter egg XD), then the readings are sound. With a good, solid cooler working on a push/pull system, I would say its possible, if somewhat unbelievable. =)


It doesn't matter what you would go so far as to say. This is basic basic physics/thermodynamics. Natural laws that you don't just get to disreguard. you cannot cool below ambient temperature with air, or water cooling either. If it's 70 degrees in the room the CPU starts at 70 degrees and cannot go below 70 degrees regardless of the number of fans. Period.

And you would never want it to or you'd have condensation.

The only way that's possible is forcing the heat to move with assistance, like a peltier cooler or cooling the air/water, and that's still technically just lowering the temp around the processor.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
May 10, 2013 7:56:01 AM

Zachary Yeager said:
carowden said:
you could download a program like hw monitor to compare the results


HW monitor is giving me the same temps


id lean more towards what unksol said about the possibility of a bad sensor. if you look at the sensors in your bios it should tell you temps, and if theyre all the same as what coretemp, hwmonitor, etc are telling you, then its probably a sensor. if its telling you more realistic numbers then it could be what grebgonebad mentioned.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
May 10, 2013 8:25:28 AM

unksol said:
grebgonebad said:
unksol said:
No, it is absolutely not possible it's that cool. unless it's 50 degrees F/10 degrees C in your room. It's not possible to cool below the enviroments temp obviously.

Core temp is known to be inaccurate, although a single bad sensor is also possible. Asus packages their boards with software to read.the motherboard sensors, and AMDs tools can read the actual CPU core temps accurately. Use them


I wouldn't go as far as to say that it is ABSOLUTLY impossible, as I have already stated, my 8350 keeps unusually cool even in hot weather.

Also, it's not just CPU temp thats giving him those results. His mobo says the same. So I would say that unless his mobo is faulty and is somehow giving the same reading as CPU temp, (A probability of apporximate value similar to Hitler being reincarnated as an easter egg XD), then the readings are sound. With a good, solid cooler working on a push/pull system, I would say its possible, if somewhat unbelievable. =)


It doesn't matter what you would go so far as to say. This is basic basic physics/thermodynamics. Natural laws that you don't just get to disreguard. you cannot cool below ambient temperature with air, or water cooling either. If it's 70 degrees in the room the CPU starts at 70 degrees and cannot go below 70 degrees regardless of the number of fans. Period.

And you would never want it to or you'd have condensation.

The only way that's possible is forcing the heat to move with assistance, like a peltier cooler or cooling the air/water, and that's still technically just lowering the temp around the processor.


LN2!
m
0
l
May 10, 2013 8:38:16 AM

ihog said:
Have you tried running a stress test like Prime95 or Intel Burn Test to see how high your temps go and test your overclock's stability?


got it sorted LOL im actually running around 25C which is more like it, i uninstalled and reinstalled my Asus AI suite, uninstalled cpuid, and coretemp and the reinstall of the AI suite got me more realistic temps, also prime95 ran all night and gave me no errors @ 4.5ghz its one of the reasons i posted this question in the first place i was expecting to wake up and have melted slag on my desk lol, but it was it was saying it was cool... too cool to be right
m
0
l
!