Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Will this gaming pc build work?

Last response: in Systems
Share
May 11, 2013 12:34:35 AM

AMD FX-8350 // 8GB ram // ATi sapphire 7770
CPU (AMD FX-8350)
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=76932&vpn=FD8350FRHKB...

Motherboard
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=62403&vpn=GA%2D990FXA...
(((OR))
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=70273&vpn=GA%2DB75M%2...

Case
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=57910&vpn=Z9%20Plus&m...

Dvd drive
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=49597&vpn=DRW%2D24B1S...

Graphics card
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=73018&vpn=HD7770%2DDC...

Ram
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=70136&vpn=KHX1600C9D3...

Comes to around $570 before taxes with the more expensive mother board but do I need it or will the second mother board do fine? And will these parts all work together? I already have a hard drive, power supply 400watt and windows 7.
--------------------------------------------


Or should I switch the mother board and cpu to the i5 option around $625

CPU ( i5 3570k)
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=70541&vpn=BX80637I535...

Motherboard:
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=71114&vpn=P8Z77%2DV%2...

This is my first build for whatever the 7770 can handle at 1680x1050 max. What one should choose and are the parts i picked out compatable?

My price range was $600-700 cheaper the better in my case. Thanks!

More about : gaming build work

a c 169 U Graphics card
a c 153 à CPUs
a b À AMD
a c 171 V Motherboard
a b } Memory
May 11, 2013 12:45:11 AM

Do you plan to overclock?
m
0
l
May 11, 2013 12:47:31 AM

ksham said:
Do you plan to overclock?

Possibly, what if I and do and what if i dont?

m
0
l
Related resources
a c 169 U Graphics card
a c 153 à CPUs
a b À AMD
a c 171 V Motherboard
a b } Memory
May 11, 2013 12:50:18 AM

If you do overclock, you'll also need a CPU cooler as well as a compatible CPU and motherboard for overclocking. If you're asking that question, I'm going to assume that you don't know how to overclock.
m
0
l
May 11, 2013 12:51:28 AM

ksham said:
If you do overclock, you'll also need a CPU cooler as well as a compatible CPU and motherboard for overclocking. If you're asking that question, I'm going to assume that you don't know how to overclock.


Probably not then.
m
0
l
a c 169 U Graphics card
a c 153 à CPUs
a b À AMD
a c 171 V Motherboard
a b } Memory
May 11, 2013 1:00:13 AM

Is this good enough for you?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($89.99 @ NCIX)
Motherboard: MSI 970A-G46 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($89.99 @ NCIX)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($71.87 @ NCIX)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ NCIX)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($189.99 @ NCIX)
Case: Zalman Z9 Plus ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ NCIX)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $629.80
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
m
0
l
May 11, 2013 1:03:07 AM

ksham said:
Is this good enough for you?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($89.99 @ NCIX)
Motherboard: MSI 970A-G46 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($89.99 @ NCIX)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($71.87 @ NCIX)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ NCIX)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($189.99 @ NCIX)
Case: Zalman Z9 Plus ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ NCIX)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $629.80
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)


The Phenom II is better than the i5 not overclocked?
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 169 U Graphics card
a c 153 à CPUs
a b À AMD
a c 171 V Motherboard
a b } Memory
May 11, 2013 1:06:23 AM

No; definitely not. The Intel Core i5 is superior to the AMD Phenom II X4 965 in every way.
Share
a c 95 U Graphics card
a c 185 à CPUs
a b À AMD
a c 114 V Motherboard
a b } Memory
May 11, 2013 1:06:50 AM

your 2nd mb in the first build is an intel mb and not compatible with that cpu.

I would suggest you scale your cpu back from that fx8350 to an fx6300 and spend the savings on a better cpu cooler, and a better video card. Your build is unbalanced in the wrong direction. you should be aiming to spend 200-300 on the gpu, and 100-150 on the cpu.

Even low end cpus are pretty good these days, and the difference between a 7770 and a 7870 is pretty extreme.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
May 11, 2013 1:10:30 AM

first of all, the second board is a LGA1155 which is not compatible with fx8350. the first board is a good choice but its also overclocker type of a board. since you dont plan to overclock you go for 970fx series chipsets which is significantly cheaper than 990fx.

8350 is a good choice comes with default 4.0G you will not need to overclock it in close future anyways.

if you plan to buy an intel instead go for 3570 or 3770 (non-K versions, since they are intended for overclockers and comes for higher price)

for a 3570/3770 you can select any H77 chipset boards. Z77 version are also overclockers type.

7770 is an older card. you can get a 2gb version of 650ti for a similar price which is better in my opinion.

so here you go....
(other parts are just personal taste so im not directing you with those)
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($189.55 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock 970 Extreme3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($79.98 @ Outlet PC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($62.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 650 Ti 2GB Video Card ($139.99 @ Microcenter)
Total: $472.51
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-05-11 04:07 EDT-0400)

2.nd option with intel
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($204.17 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($82.55 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($62.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 650 Ti 2GB Video Card ($139.99 @ Microcenter)
Total: $489.70
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-05-11 04:09 EDT-0400)

good luck
m
0
l
May 11, 2013 1:15:07 AM

n1ghtr4v3n said:
first of all, the second board is a LGA1155 which is not compatible with fx8350. the first board is a good choice but its also overclocker type of a board. since you dont plan to overclock you go for 970fx series chipsets which is significantly cheaper than 990fx.

8350 is a good choice comes with default 4.0G you will not need to overclock it in close future anyways.

if you plan to buy an intel instead go for 3570 or 3770 (non-K versions, since they are intended for overclockers and comes for higher price)

for a 3570/3770 you can select any H77 chipset boards. Z77 version are also overclockers type.

7770 is an older card. you can get a 2gb version of 650ti for a similar price which is better in my opinion.

so here you go....
(other parts are just personal taste so im not directing you with those)
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($189.55 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock 970 Extreme3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($79.98 @ Outlet PC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($62.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 650 Ti 2GB Video Card ($139.99 @ Microcenter)
Total: $472.51
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-05-11 04:07 EDT-0400)

2.nd option with intel
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($204.17 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($82.55 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($62.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 650 Ti 2GB Video Card ($139.99 @ Microcenter)
Total: $489.70
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-05-11 04:09 EDT-0400)

good luck


In your opinion out of the 3 builds including ksham's build what one do you think would be the best?


Also I cant get parts from microcenter cause im in canada. NCIX would be the best and newegg.ca
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
May 11, 2013 1:19:43 AM

skollin1 said:
n1ghtr4v3n said:
first of all, the second board is a LGA1155 which is not compatible with fx8350. the first board is a good choice but its also overclocker type of a board. since you dont plan to overclock you go for 970fx series chipsets which is significantly cheaper than 990fx.

8350 is a good choice comes with default 4.0G you will not need to overclock it in close future anyways.

if you plan to buy an intel instead go for 3570 or 3770 (non-K versions, since they are intended for overclockers and comes for higher price)

for a 3570/3770 you can select any H77 chipset boards. Z77 version are also overclockers type.

7770 is an older card. you can get a 2gb version of 650ti for a similar price which is better in my opinion.

so here you go....
(other parts are just personal taste so im not directing you with those)
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($189.55 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock 970 Extreme3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($79.98 @ Outlet PC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($62.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 650 Ti 2GB Video Card ($139.99 @ Microcenter)
Total: $472.51
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-05-11 04:07 EDT-0400)

2.nd option with intel
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($204.17 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($82.55 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($62.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 650 Ti 2GB Video Card ($139.99 @ Microcenter)
Total: $489.70
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-05-11 04:09 EDT-0400)

good luck


In your opinion out of the 3 builds including ksham's build what one do you think would be the best?



phenom x2 is an older cpu but a good one for budget builds. but if you are thinking to buy fx8350 its no match...
if you can afford 660 is a better gpu than 650ti. i'd select 660 too.

my personal opinion is to get: (if you can afford ofc. / also its a non-overclocking system)
i5-3570 cpu
h77 board
gtx660 gpu
2x4GB 1600MHz memories
around 450-550W psu

rest is not really important (performance wise...)
m
0
l
a c 169 U Graphics card
a c 153 à CPUs
a b À AMD
a c 171 V Motherboard
a b } Memory
May 11, 2013 1:24:06 AM

I could've made it better, but the budget was $600-$700 CAD. And with all your links from NCIX, I wanted to stick with it because I assumed that's where you want to purchase parts from. There's only so much I could put into the build without going over. I technically wanted to keep below $625 or so. I could've gone for the max of $700. I'll post up a new build in a sec.

Now, the Phenom CPU that I put up may be older, but it works great. It won't bottleneck the GPU and in a gaming build, it's usually more GPU-intensive than CPU-intensive. If you run into a game that's more CPU-intensive, then there may be a bottleneck between having a Intel Core i5 and the Phenom 965.
m
0
l
May 11, 2013 1:27:41 AM

n1ghtr4v3n said:
skollin1 said:
n1ghtr4v3n said:
first of all, the second board is a LGA1155 which is not compatible with fx8350. the first board is a good choice but its also overclocker type of a board. since you dont plan to overclock you go for 970fx series chipsets which is significantly cheaper than 990fx.

8350 is a good choice comes with default 4.0G you will not need to overclock it in close future anyways.

if you plan to buy an intel instead go for 3570 or 3770 (non-K versions, since they are intended for overclockers and comes for higher price)

for a 3570/3770 you can select any H77 chipset boards. Z77 version are also overclockers type.

7770 is an older card. you can get a 2gb version of 650ti for a similar price which is better in my opinion.

so here you go....
(other parts are just personal taste so im not directing you with those)
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($189.55 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock 970 Extreme3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($79.98 @ Outlet PC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($62.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 650 Ti 2GB Video Card ($139.99 @ Microcenter)
Total: $472.51
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-05-11 04:07 EDT-0400)

2.nd option with intel
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($204.17 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($82.55 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($62.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 650 Ti 2GB Video Card ($139.99 @ Microcenter)
Total: $489.70
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-05-11 04:09 EDT-0400)

good luck


In your opinion out of the 3 builds including ksham's build what one do you think would be the best?



phenom x2 is an older cpu but a good one for budget builds. but if you are thinking to buy fx8350 its no match...
if you can afford 660 is a better gpu than 650ti. i'd select 660 too.

my personal opinion is to get: (if you can afford ofc. / also its a non-overclocking system)
i5-3570 cpu
h77 board
gtx660 gpu
2x4GB 1600MHz memories
around 450-550W psu

rest is not really important (performance wise...)

Thanks alot ill add that up and see what happens

m
0
l
May 11, 2013 1:29:00 AM

ksham said:
I could've made it better, but the budget was $600-$700 CAD. And with all your links from NCIX, I wanted to stick with it because I assumed that's where you want to purchase parts from. There's only so much I could put into the build without going over. I technically wanted to keep below $625 or so. I could've gone for the max of $700. I'll post up a new build in a sec.

Now, the Phenom CPU that I put up may be older, but it works great. It won't bottleneck the GPU and in a gaming build, it's usually more GPU-intensive than CPU-intensive. If you run into a game that's more CPU-intensive, then there may be a bottleneck between having a Intel Core i5 and the Phenom 965.


Sweet. well since you adding tax i can do $750
m
0
l
a c 169 U Graphics card
a c 153 à CPUs
a b À AMD
a c 171 V Motherboard
a b } Memory
May 11, 2013 1:30:19 AM

Upped the GPU.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($89.99 @ NCIX)
Motherboard: MSI 970A-G46 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($89.99 @ NCIX)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($62.32 @ NCIX)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ NCIX)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card ($269.99 @ NCIX)
Case: Zalman Z9 Plus ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ NCIX)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $700.25
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
m
0
l
May 11, 2013 1:34:50 AM

ksham said:
Upped the GPU.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($89.99 @ NCIX)
Motherboard: MSI 970A-G46 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($89.99 @ NCIX)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($62.32 @ NCIX)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ NCIX)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card ($269.99 @ NCIX)
Case: Zalman Z9 Plus ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ NCIX)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $700.25
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)


Well I already have a harddrive. What if i upgraded to i5 and got the cheaper gpu? Or this is still a better solution?

m
0
l
a c 169 U Graphics card
a c 153 à CPUs
a b À AMD
a c 171 V Motherboard
a b } Memory
May 11, 2013 1:45:53 AM

Why would you get a cheaper GPU on a gaming build?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($119.99 @ NCIX)
Motherboard: MSI 970A-G46 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($89.99 @ NCIX)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($62.32 @ NCIX)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card ($279.99 @ NCIX)
Case: Zalman Z9 Plus ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ NCIX)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $680.26
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
May 11, 2013 1:46:50 AM

skollin1 said:
ksham said:
Upped the GPU.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($89.99 @ NCIX)
Motherboard: MSI 970A-G46 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($89.99 @ NCIX)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($62.32 @ NCIX)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ NCIX)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card ($269.99 @ NCIX)
Case: Zalman Z9 Plus ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ NCIX)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $700.25
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)


Well I already have a harddrive. What if i upgraded to i5 and got the cheaper gpu? Or this is still a better solution?



i5/i7 is the top notch,. even fx8350 is failing to compete with them when it comes to strictly gaming. so yea if you can afford it go for that.
but to be honest lowering the gpu (especially when you intend to gaming) is not a good choice.
m
0
l
May 11, 2013 1:51:57 AM

10791205,0,1291079 said:
Why would you get a cheaper GPU on a gaming build?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($119.99 @ NCIX)
Motherboard: MSI 970A-G46 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($89.99 @ NCIX)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($62.32 @ NCIX)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card ($279.99 @ NCIX)
Case: Zalman Z9 Plus ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ NCIX)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $680.26
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)[/quotem
Not sure lol ive just been trying to learn these few days because the stores have really bad combinations for what yur paying. Ill probablly end up buying what your listing for me. I see you changed the cpu and gpu again so hopefully this will do. Thanks alot for your time!
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
May 11, 2013 1:59:46 AM

skollin1 said:
10791205,0,1291079 said:
Why would you get a cheaper GPU on a gaming build?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($119.99 @ NCIX)
Motherboard: MSI 970A-G46 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($89.99 @ NCIX)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($62.32 @ NCIX)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card ($279.99 @ NCIX)
Case: Zalman Z9 Plus ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ NCIX)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $680.26
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)[/quotem
Not sure lol ive just been trying to learn these few days because the stores have really bad combinations for what yur paying. Ill probablly end up buying what your listing for me. I see you changed the cpu and gpu again so hopefully this will do. Thanks alot for your time!
said:


replace the cpu with fx8350 or 8320 (they are totally similar other than frequency)
and you can use this build. its pretty solid.
m
0
l
May 11, 2013 2:06:58 AM

n1ghtr4v3n said:
skollin1 said:
10791205,0,1291079 said:
Why would you get a cheaper GPU on a gaming build?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($119.99 @ NCIX)
Motherboard: MSI 970A-G46 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($89.99 @ NCIX)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($62.32 @ NCIX)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card ($279.99 @ NCIX)
Case: Zalman Z9 Plus ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ NCIX)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $680.26
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)[/quotem
Not sure lol ive just been trying to learn these few days because the stores have really bad combinations for what yur paying. Ill probablly end up buying what your listing for me. I see you changed the cpu and gpu again so hopefully this will do. Thanks alot for your time!
said:


replace the cpu with fx8350 or 8320 (they are totally similar other than frequency)
and you can use this build. its pretty solid.
said:

I might be able to replace with the AMD FX-8320 8 Core Processor for $40 more would i benifit a lot and it would still work fine with this bord right?
m
0
l
a c 169 U Graphics card
a c 153 à CPUs
a b À AMD
a c 171 V Motherboard
a b } Memory
May 11, 2013 2:11:58 AM

You would only benefit from the few games that is CPU-intensive. But if you have $40 to spare, upgrade your GPU. A FX-8320 + GTX 660 Ti will perform worse than a FX-6300 + GTX 670 / HD 7970.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
May 11, 2013 2:13:29 AM

for 40$ only, it worths. you will be using this cpu for at least 4-5 years. if you consider you arent going to overclock it. why to bother getting an old cpu with less frequency.
it will keep you happy enough. and yes it will work just fine on any AM3+ socket board.
m
0
l
May 11, 2013 2:14:22 AM

ksham said:
You would only benefit from the few games that is CPU-intensive. But if you have $40 to spare, upgrade your GPU. A FX-8320 + GTX 660 Ti will perform worse than a FX-6300 + GTX 670 / HD 7970.


Alright ill just stick to the 6300 and 660. Also whats the difference between this gpu and the one you linked before that was also a 660 but $189
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
May 11, 2013 2:16:05 AM

ksham said:
You would only benefit from the few games that is CPU-intensive. But if you have $40 to spare, upgrade your GPU. A FX-8320 + GTX 660 Ti will perform worse than a FX-6300 + GTX 670 / HD 7970.


660 ti is like only 5-10% slower than 670. you barely notice the difference. and you can replace gpu anytime with a better one. but a cpu will less likely to be switched. (cause you may also need to switch the mobo)

investing in a old cpu is more risky then investing in a %5 slower gpu.
i wouldnt go in there....
m
0
l
May 11, 2013 2:20:05 AM

n1ghtr4v3n said:
ksham said:
You would only benefit from the few games that is CPU-intensive. But if you have $40 to spare, upgrade your GPU. A FX-8320 + GTX 660 Ti will perform worse than a FX-6300 + GTX 670 / HD 7970.


660 ti is like only 5-10% slower than 670. you barely notice the difference. and you can replace gpu anytime with a better one. but a cpu will less likely to be switched. (cause you may also need to switch the mobo)

investing in a old cpu is more risky then investing in a %5 slower gpu.
i wouldnt go in there....


Thats true to cause my max resolution is 1680x1050... So 660 is probably over my head. (I dont even mind medium settings)
How about a 7870 and a FX-8350? Since im not going to be using a 1080p monitor? The 7870 is a bit cheaper.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
May 11, 2013 2:24:10 AM

skollin1 said:
n1ghtr4v3n said:
ksham said:
You would only benefit from the few games that is CPU-intensive. But if you have $40 to spare, upgrade your GPU. A FX-8320 + GTX 660 Ti will perform worse than a FX-6300 + GTX 670 / HD 7970.


660 ti is like only 5-10% slower than 670. you barely notice the difference. and you can replace gpu anytime with a better one. but a cpu will less likely to be switched. (cause you may also need to switch the mobo)

investing in a old cpu is more risky then investing in a %5 slower gpu.
i wouldnt go in there....


Thats true to cause my max resolution is 1680x1050... So 660 is probably over my head. (I dont even mind medium settings)



for that resolution 660 or TI will do just fine to be honest... no need to gamble...
price difference on 660/TI and 670 is not worth at all on smaller resolutions since you wont push it to its limits.

well... you can replace your monitor maybe.... then aaaahhh a better gpu is needed... then aaaarghh... a better cpu is needed.... lol
you know actually there is no ending in this :) 
m
0
l
May 11, 2013 2:37:40 AM

n1ghtr4v3n said:
skollin1 said:
n1ghtr4v3n said:
ksham said:
You would only benefit from the few games that is CPU-intensive. But if you have $40 to spare, upgrade your GPU. A FX-8320 + GTX 660 Ti will perform worse than a FX-6300 + GTX 670 / HD 7970.


660 ti is like only 5-10% slower than 670. you barely notice the difference. and you can replace gpu anytime with a better one. but a cpu will less likely to be switched. (cause you may also need to switch the mobo)

investing in a old cpu is more risky then investing in a %5 slower gpu.
i wouldnt go in there....


Thats true to cause my max resolution is 1680x1050... So 660 is probably over my head. (I dont even mind medium settings)



for that resolution 660 or TI will do just fine to be honest... no need to gamble...
price difference on 660/TI and 670 is not worth at all on smaller resolutions since you wont push it to its limits.

well... you can replace your monitor maybe.... then aaaahhh a better gpu is needed... then aaaarghh... a better cpu is needed.... lol
you know actually there is no ending in this :) 

Last question lol

http://www.ncix.ca/products/?affiliateid=7474144&sku=75...

http://www.ncix.ca/products/?affiliateid=7474144&sku=76...

Whats the difference between these and will i benifit much from my resolution
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
May 11, 2013 2:52:12 AM

skollin1 said:
n1ghtr4v3n said:
skollin1 said:
n1ghtr4v3n said:
ksham said:
You would only benefit from the few games that is CPU-intensive. But if you have $40 to spare, upgrade your GPU. A FX-8320 + GTX 660 Ti will perform worse than a FX-6300 + GTX 670 / HD 7970.


660 ti is like only 5-10% slower than 670. you barely notice the difference. and you can replace gpu anytime with a better one. but a cpu will less likely to be switched. (cause you may also need to switch the mobo)

investing in a old cpu is more risky then investing in a %5 slower gpu.
i wouldnt go in there....


Thats true to cause my max resolution is 1680x1050... So 660 is probably over my head. (I dont even mind medium settings)



for that resolution 660 or TI will do just fine to be honest... no need to gamble...
price difference on 660/TI and 670 is not worth at all on smaller resolutions since you wont push it to its limits.

well... you can replace your monitor maybe.... then aaaahhh a better gpu is needed... then aaaarghh... a better cpu is needed.... lol
you know actually there is no ending in this :) 

Last question lol

http://www.ncix.ca/products/?affiliateid=7474144&sku=76...

http://www.ncix.ca/products/?affiliateid=7474144&sku=75...

Whats the difference between these and will i benifit much from my resolution


one of them is overclocked TI version. the other one is overclocked vanilla only.
TI will be always more powerful since it has a different chip design.

but for your resolution it doesnt do too much difference. cheaper overclocked 660 will work flawless. but if you have some extra cash to splash, ofcourse its better to get the TI one.

update:
i forgot to mention; TI has more processing power. you can compare the 2 chipsets yourself below:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
May 11, 2013 2:56:09 AM

n1ghtr4v3n said:
skollin1 said:
n1ghtr4v3n said:
skollin1 said:
n1ghtr4v3n said:
ksham said:
You would only benefit from the few games that is CPU-intensive. But if you have $40 to spare, upgrade your GPU. A FX-8320 + GTX 660 Ti will perform worse than a FX-6300 + GTX 670 / HD 7970.


660 ti is like only 5-10% slower than 670. you barely notice the difference. and you can replace gpu anytime with a better one. but a cpu will less likely to be switched. (cause you may also need to switch the mobo)

investing in a old cpu is more risky then investing in a %5 slower gpu.
i wouldnt go in there....


Thats true to cause my max resolution is 1680x1050... So 660 is probably over my head. (I dont even mind medium settings)



for that resolution 660 or TI will do just fine to be honest... no need to gamble...
price difference on 660/TI and 670 is not worth at all on smaller resolutions since you wont push it to its limits.

well... you can replace your monitor maybe.... then aaaahhh a better gpu is needed... then aaaarghh... a better cpu is needed.... lol
you know actually there is no ending in this :) 

Last question lol

http://www.ncix.ca/products/?affiliateid=7474144&sku=76...

http://www.ncix.ca/products/?affiliateid=7474144&sku=75...

Whats the difference between these and will i benifit much from my resolution


one of them is overclocked TI version. the other one is overclocked vanilla only.
TI will be always more powerful since it has a different chip design.

but for your resolution it doesnt do too much difference. cheaper overclocked 660 will work flawless. but if you have some extra cash to splash, ofcourse its better to get the TI one.


Cool thanks for the help :)  Ill probably get the cheaper one.. It should still beat my HP duo core 6400 2.13hghz 4Gb ddr2 with a 6670 that under performs from the crappy cpu lol


Wouldnt the 7870 --http://www.ncix.ca/products/?sku=73627&vpn=HD7870%2DDC2...

Beat the 660 not TI---http://www.ncix.ca/products/?affiliateid=7474144&sku=76...
m
0
l
a c 169 U Graphics card
a c 153 à CPUs
a b À AMD
a c 171 V Motherboard
a b } Memory
May 11, 2013 11:48:12 AM

The HD 7870 and the GTX 660 are about on par with one another. Give or take a few percentages.
m
0
l
May 11, 2013 9:56:06 PM

ksham said:
The HD 7870 and the GTX 660 are about on par with one another. Give or take a few percentages.


I have a ati 6670 atm. Could you make me an i5 3570k with a 120gb solid state hardrive for $600-$650 without the graphics card? If I do that then in a month i can afford to get the $300 dollar graphics card but also have a better cpu for a future.
m
0
l
a c 169 U Graphics card
a c 153 à CPUs
a b À AMD
a c 171 V Motherboard
a b } Memory
May 11, 2013 10:10:50 PM

Was a tight fit. Would've liked to put up a better SSD, but couldn't make it fit.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ NCIX)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($124.99 @ NCIX)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($62.32 @ NCIX)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.49 @ NCIX)
Case: Zalman Z9 Plus ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ NCIX)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $654.76
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
m
0
l
May 11, 2013 10:28:12 PM

ksham said:
Was a tight fit. Would've liked to put up a better SSD, but couldn't make it fit.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ NCIX)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($124.99 @ NCIX)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($62.32 @ NCIX)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.49 @ NCIX)
Case: Zalman Z9 Plus ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ NCIX)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $654.76
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)


Cool overall do you think thats a better idea?
m
0
l
a c 169 U Graphics card
a c 153 à CPUs
a b À AMD
a c 171 V Motherboard
a b } Memory
May 11, 2013 10:33:35 PM

No. In a month, Haswell may be released and hopefully some new AMD GPUs. :D 
m
0
l
May 11, 2013 10:36:23 PM

ksham said:
No. In a month, Haswell may be released and hopefully some new AMD GPUs. :D 


So i should wait lol?
m
0
l
a c 169 U Graphics card
a c 153 à CPUs
a b À AMD
a c 171 V Motherboard
a b } Memory
May 11, 2013 10:44:42 PM

Depends how urgently you need the build. There's no shame in buying the set now. Those are good parts today, tomorrow, and even after Haswell is released.
m
0
l
May 11, 2013 10:54:12 PM

ksham said:
Depends how urgently you need the build. There's no shame in buying the set now. Those are good parts today, tomorrow, and even after Haswell is released.


Would the other build you gave me just be better, the one with the 6300
m
0
l
a c 169 U Graphics card
a c 153 à CPUs
a b À AMD
a c 171 V Motherboard
a b } Memory
May 11, 2013 11:15:47 PM

Depends how urgently you need a better GPU. It all comes down to time and how you plan to buy them. If you need a better GPU now because you need to play a game at higher resolution or if you can't wait a month, then buy FX-6300 one. Otherwise, the Intel Core i5-3570K is a great start point.
m
0
l
May 11, 2013 11:45:59 PM

10795283,0,1291079 said:
Depends how urgently you need a better GPU. It all comes down to time and how you plan to buy them. If you need a better GPU now because you need to play a game at higher resolution or if you can't wait a month, then buy FX-6300 one. Otherwise, the Intel Core i5-3570K is a great start point.[/quote

Not in a rush at all. Would the I5 setup benifit in gaming / mutitasking? OR is the amd good enough?. Also why not the 7950 instead of 660TI. And is there a cheaper mothboard for the i5? I wont be overclocking

m
0
l
a c 169 U Graphics card
a c 153 à CPUs
a b À AMD
a c 171 V Motherboard
a b } Memory
May 12, 2013 12:07:56 AM

1. The Intel Core i5-3570K is superior to the AMD FX-6300 in gaming and multi-tasking because it's faster. The AMD FX-6300 tends to be less consistent than the Intel Core i5-3570K in gaming as well.

2. Price. The HD 7950 is more expensive. They perform on par.

3. If you're not going to be overclocking, then don't buy the Intel Core i5-3570K. Get the Intel Core i5-3350P. That's a save of $60. The Intel Core i5-3570K is faster than the Intel Core i5-3350P at stock speed, but only at a difference of about 10-15%. Not worth $60. The $60 can be invested in the GPU where the difference is more pronounced.
m
0
l
May 12, 2013 12:21:17 AM

ksham said:
1. The Intel Core i5-3570K is superior to the AMD FX-6300 in gaming and multi-tasking because it's faster. The AMD FX-6300 tends to be less consistent than the Intel Core i5-3570K in gaming as well.

2. Price. The HD 7950 is more expensive. They perform on par.

3. If you're not going to be overclocking, then don't buy the Intel Core i5-3570K. Get the Intel Core i5-3350P. That's a save of $60. The Intel Core i5-3570K is faster than the Intel Core i5-3350P at stock speed, but only at a difference of about 10-15%. Not worth $60. The $60 can be invested in the GPU where the difference is more pronounced.


Cool and can you get me a little cheaper motherboard since im not overclocking? And then get the totaly price again with 120gb solid state.
m
0
l
a c 169 U Graphics card
a c 153 à CPUs
a b À AMD
a c 171 V Motherboard
a b } Memory
May 12, 2013 12:38:47 AM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3350P 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ NCIX)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H77M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($94.99 @ NCIX)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($62.32 @ NCIX)
Storage: A-Data XPG SX900 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($124.99 @ NCIX)
Case: Antec Three Hundred Two ATX Mid Tower Case ($64.99 @ NCIX)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $605.26
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
m
0
l
May 12, 2013 12:44:16 AM

ksham said:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3350P 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ NCIX)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H77M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($94.99 @ NCIX)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($62.32 @ NCIX)
Storage: A-Data XPG SX900 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($124.99 @ NCIX)
Case: Antec Three Hundred Two ATX Mid Tower Case ($64.99 @ NCIX)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $605.26
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)


Alright so the i5 is worth it for the higher price and this is a pretty good setup for my budget?
m
0
l
a c 169 U Graphics card
a c 153 à CPUs
a b À AMD
a c 171 V Motherboard
a b } Memory
May 12, 2013 12:54:44 AM

Yes.
m
0
l
May 12, 2013 1:24:37 AM

ksham said:
Yes.


And it would also beat the FX-8350?
m
0
l
a c 169 U Graphics card
a c 153 à CPUs
a b À AMD
a c 171 V Motherboard
a b } Memory
May 12, 2013 1:46:39 AM

Yes and no. In gaming, yes. In multi-threading applications, no.
m
0
l
May 12, 2013 11:42:32 AM

ksham said:
Yes and no. In gaming, yes. In multi-threading applications, no.


If I stuck to the

CPU:Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ NCIX)
Motherboard:ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($124.99 @ NCIX)
Memory:Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($62.32 @ NCIX)
Storage:Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.49 @ NCIX)
Case:Zalman Z9 Plus ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ NCIX)
Power Supply:XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX)
Optical Drive:LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $654.76

Option with a http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... could I over clock it to 4.0ghz with this cooling and motherboard
m
0
l
a c 169 U Graphics card
a c 153 à CPUs
a b À AMD
a c 171 V Motherboard
a b } Memory
May 12, 2013 11:49:49 AM

Yes.
m
0
l
!