Sign in with
Your question
Solved

7950 vs 7870 le vs 660 ti with my rig

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 11, 2013 2:59:55 AM

I am going to be getting a new graphics card in the next few weeks in order to replace my GTX 560 SE.
I want to play the latest games at highest settings possible, I mostly play FPS's like BF3 and Far Cry 3(Which I don't own due to my crap card).

There is currently a deal on at Aria for the 7870 le: http://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials/Other+products/Powe...

I've been looking at a few 7950's and 660 TI's as well.

My rig currently contains:
-AMD FX 8120 (Upgrading to an 8350 soon, Do I need to upgrade? Not sure)
-Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 (Upgrading with my processor, though not sure if I need to upgrade either)
-8GB Corsair RAM @1600mhz (not sure exactly what the model is)
-Crappy dual rail 750W (Do I need to upgrade this too? I think so but I'm not entirely sure)
-1TB Hitachi 7200rpm Hard Drive
-Gtx 560, as I said before.
-CIT vantage case (Do I need to upgrade this for the card? I'm using the stock coolers so It's fairly crap)

Which card is best for me and should I upgrade the stuff I said I wanted to upgrade? Is it worth the extra money for the 7950 or 660 TI?

More about : 7950 7870 660 rig

May 11, 2013 3:12:10 AM

I prefer the cooler on this card over the powercolor http://www.waeplus.co.uk/item/207449/Radeon-HD-7870-XT-..., so I would probably go with that one. A dual rail 750 should be able to handle that card if the CPU and GPU are on different rails. Usually PSUs like that have one rail with more current than the other, so you might want to check the specs. That card has two 6-pin PCIe connecters, so the most it can pull is 225 watts. Your case looks like it should be fine as far as airflow.
m
l

Best solution

May 11, 2013 3:34:05 AM

7950 is overprice for performance
660ti is gonna out of date
7870LE is the best bang for your buck

this one of the best
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 XT 2GB DDR5 256

this the result of your cpu comparison with 8350

but you need to upgrade your PSU

For Budget : Seasonic G550

For overclocking and future crossfire : Corsair Ax760i
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
May 11, 2013 3:43:06 AM

oops. You get 4 free games with the PowerColor and it's £18 less. Seems like a great price.
m
l
May 11, 2013 3:45:00 AM

envy14tpe said:
oops. You get 4 free games with the PowerColor and it's £18 less. Seems like a great price.

yeah... but powercolor have poor cooling
m
l
May 11, 2013 3:46:14 AM

You get the same free games with any 7870 XT, and they were the same price on the UK site I was looking at. I'm American though, I have no idea if it's a reputable site or not.
m
l
May 11, 2013 3:52:26 AM

genrldisaray said:
You get the same free games with any 7870 XT, and they were the same price on the UK site I was looking at. I'm American though, I have no idea if it's a reputable site or not.

the bad thing about 7870XT is NO Gpu water block available :pfff: 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 11, 2013 3:55:06 AM

serafim said:
genrldisaray said:

Probably less than 1% of people buy one. Not an issue, plus OP doesn't live in a hot climate.
m
l
May 11, 2013 4:03:47 AM

envy14tpe said:
serafim said:
genrldisaray said:

Probably less than 1% of people buy one. Not an issue, plus OP doesn't live in a hot climate.

agree, but there is something special with the XT, its 7950 performance ( almost ) with 7870 price
and watercooling its not all about temp, its art, fun, performance ( higher OC with low temp ), and wasting money :D 
m
l
May 11, 2013 4:10:01 AM

serafim said:
envy14tpe said:
serafim said:
genrldisaray said:

agree, but there is something special with the XT, its 7950 performance ( almost ) with 7870 price
and watercooling its not all about temp, its art, fun, performance ( higher OC with low temp ), and wasting money :D 

If wasting money was one of his criteria for choosing a card, though, he probably wouldn't be asking about a good value on a midrange card :D . Plus, that case isn't going to hold much in the way of radiators.
m
l
May 11, 2013 4:11:51 AM

Currently, based on your suggestions I am veering towards the 7870 xt. I think that a powercolour one would be good because Its cheaper, and I need to upgrade my case, fans and psu anyway. Any thoughts? I'm still not fully decided.
m
l
May 11, 2013 4:17:04 AM

Is the sapphire I linked in my first post not an option? it was less than one pound more than the powercolor.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 11, 2013 4:26:26 AM

genrldisaray said:
Is the sapphire I linked in my first post not an option? it was less than one pound more than the powercolor.

Plus for AMD/ATI GPU's I have found over the years that Sapphire is the best manufacture. With GPU's like a lot of other PC parts it is not always about the cheapest price but quality of the build and components that go into the product that really matters.
m
l
May 11, 2013 4:27:50 AM

It is, yes, but You get 4 free games with the powercolour (all of which are on my steam wishlist) and i've bough stuff from aria before. Still an option but currently veering towards the powercolour I'm afraid(thank you for helping though. I'm almost definitely going to get a 7870 XT as I have £250 to spend and I could be spending the remaining money on games and other important upgrades.
m
l
May 11, 2013 4:42:07 AM

LordPlanketh said:
It is, yes, but You get 4 free games with the powercolour (all of which are on my steam wishlist) and i've bough stuff from aria before. Still an option but currently veering towards the powercolour I'm afraid(thank you for helping though. I'm almost definitely going to get a 7870 XT as I have £250 to spend and I could be spending the remaining money on games and other important upgrades.

genrldisaray said:
LordPlanketh said:

That bundle of games comes from AMD, so you will get it no matter what brand of card you choose. The powercolor is a fine card though, so you can't really go wrong if that's what you prefer.

Hm...
Everywhere else says only 2 games though? Confused:s
m
l
May 11, 2013 4:43:50 AM

LordPlanketh said:

It turns out I was wrong about that sapphire card. Even though that card is part of the Never Settle promotion, that retailer (waeplus) is not. I would definitely go with the powercolor if you are at all interested in those games. I deleted that previous post, sorry about the misinformation.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 11, 2013 4:45:17 AM

LordPlanketh said:
LordPlanketh said:

genrldisaray said:
LordPlanketh said:

That bundle of games comes from AMD, so you will get it no matter what brand of card you choose. The powercolor is a fine card though, so you can't really go wrong if that's what you prefer.

Hm...

I live outside US and when I bought my 660ti I asked about games that it comes with...they said none. So the deal depends on which country you are in.
m
l
May 11, 2013 4:45:31 AM

genrldisaray said:
LordPlanketh said:

It turns out I was wrong about that sapphire card. Even though that card is part of the Never Settle promotion, that retailer (waeplus) is not. I would definitely go with the powercolor if you are at all interested in those games. I deleted that previous post, sorry about the misinformation.

Its okay mate, you still helped me pick the XT :) 

m
l
May 11, 2013 4:47:10 AM

envy14tpe said:
LordPlanketh said:
LordPlanketh said:

genrldisaray said:
LordPlanketh said:

Hm...

I live outside US and when I bought my 660ti I asked about games that it comes with...they said none. So the deal depends on which country you are in.

There's a list here of all the participating countries worldwide, and the games that come with different cards. Aria is on the list for the UK, so there shouldn't be a problem.
http://sites.amd.com/us/promo/never-settle/Pages/nsrelo...
m
l
May 11, 2013 4:48:32 AM

envy14tpe said:
For PSU, Look for 500-600W Bronze.
Top tier. XFX, Seasonic, or Antec. Top tier.
Next tier. Corsair.

This PSU is perfect: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-p1550...
and only £53

£170+53 = £223 and it is under your budget.

Would 550w be enough with new fans, CPU (going to get an 8350) and gpu?
m
l
May 11, 2013 4:51:52 AM

LordPlanketh said:
envy14tpe said:
For PSU, Look for 500-600W Bronze.
Top tier. XFX, Seasonic, or Antec. Top tier.
Next tier. Corsair.

This PSU is perfect: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-p1550...
and only £53

£170+53 = £223 and it is under your budget.

Would 550w be enough with new fans, CPU (going to get an 8350) and gpu?

550 should be plenty, that gpu will pull a max of 225, and another 100 or so from the cpu.
m
l
May 11, 2013 4:57:12 AM

Thank you for all the help guys! Defo gonna buy a 7870xt and a new 550w psu! :) 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 11, 2013 5:01:14 AM

Your system is probably 300-350W, but you need extra power cuz PSUs don't deliver 100% of the power. I've read more like 70%. So, 70% of 550 is 385. So, 550W is fine.

For comparison, I run a 2500k (overclocked), 660ti (overclocked a bit), 2HDDs, SSD, and 4 fans...all on 520W.

@genrldisaray. thanks for that link. Looks like AMD doesn't have deals for Asia, Africa, Australia, or South America. WOW!!
m
l
a c 160 U Graphics card
May 11, 2013 6:20:57 AM

envy14tpe said:
Your system is probably 300-350W, but you need extra power cuz PSUs don't deliver 100% of the power. I've read more like 70%. So, 70% of 550 is 385. So, 550W is fine.

For comparison, I run a 2500k (overclocked), 660ti (overclocked a bit), 2HDDs, SSD, and 4 fans...all on 520W.

@genrldisaray. thanks for that link. Looks like AMD doesn't have deals for Asia, Africa, Australia, or South America. WOW!!

What??? LOL you are very misinformed. With the exception of cheap chinese junk, most PSU can deliver the rated wattage but it is importent to note HOW they deliver it.
m
l
May 11, 2013 6:59:21 AM

Novuake said:
envy14tpe said:

What??? LOL you are very misinformed. With the exception of cheap chinese junk, most PSU can deliver the rated wattage but it is importent to note HOW they deliver it.

+1

Quote:
The recommended total Power Supply Wattage gives you a general idea on what to look for BUT it is NOT a crucial factor in power supply selection! Total Amperage Available on the +12V Rail(s) is the most important, followed by the +5V amperage and then the +3.3V amperage.

m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 11, 2013 10:26:51 AM

Smoke crack much? Cuz that's how you must be informed.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 11, 2013 10:29:50 AM

Novuake said:
envy14tpe said:

Nice to meet you MR. TROLL.
m
l
May 11, 2013 10:38:10 AM

serafim said:

this one of the best

Wait what??? How was this selected as best answer?!? Hahahahaha
"7950 is overpriced for performance"
Right, its just like slightly worse than an overclocked gtx 680 when overclocked but you are right... $300 is overpriced for a $450 card's performance.

The trolls. I feel bad for this OP
m
l
May 11, 2013 12:28:27 PM

caydn12 said:
serafim said:

this one of the best

Right, its just like slightly worse than an overclocked gtx 680 when overclocked but you are right... $300 is overpriced for a $450 card's performance.

The performance difference isn't big enough to make up for the 60$ 7950

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/tahiti-le-7870-7930...

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/club3d_radeon_7870...

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/pc-components/g...

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Club_3D/HD_7870_joke...

PERFORMANCE per dollar

Toms Smart buy 2013

5% for 60$? be smart
m
l
May 11, 2013 4:30:22 PM

serafim said:
caydn12 said:
serafim said:

this one of the best

PERFORMANCE per dollar

Toms Smart buy 2013

5% for 60$? be smart

I totally agree there. The 7870XT is better bang for buck.
However, saying that a 7950 is OVERPRICED, is just ridiculous a least.
Its a steal! If it was $350 it would be a fair price, if it was $375 it would be overpriced. But $300 for the performance a 7950 offers is not overpriced whatsoever!!
m
l
May 11, 2013 6:22:53 PM

caydn12 said:
serafim said:
caydn12 said:
serafim said:

this one of the best

PERFORMANCE per dollar

Toms Smart buy 2013

5% for 60$? be smart

I totally agree there. The 7870XT is better bang for buck.
However, saying that a 7950 is OVERPRICED, is just ridiculous a least.
Its a steal! If it was $350 it would be a fair price, if it was $375 it would be overpriced. But $300 for the performance a 7950 offers is not overpriced whatsoever!!

personally, for me its overpriced i dunno bout others, but xt just like a 7950 killer for market, if i have 300$ budget for GPU, ill go for the XT + Alphacool HF-14 uni block

7950 boost > 7870XT = 7950

m
l
May 11, 2013 6:29:37 PM

The biggest fail of a GPU right now is the 660ti!!
m
l
May 11, 2013 6:38:12 PM

caydn12 said:
The biggest fail of a GPU right now is the 660ti!!

+1

GTX 760ti Performance is targeting 20-23% increase from the standard GTX 660ti for $299

m
l
May 11, 2013 9:06:12 PM

Yeah the 760ti will be great for the price
I believe if AMD really goes forward with skipping 8000 series, and just going straight to 9000 there will be no reason to buy nvidia.

Like seriously.. The 9970 is going to have 4096 stream processors!!! That will be mine the moment it is released.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 11, 2013 11:39:00 PM

760ti would be 670 with more refined version
m
l
!