Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

acer laptop cursor won't move

Tags:
  • Laptops
  • Cursor
  • Acer
Last response: in Laptop Tech Support
Share
May 11, 2013 5:54:04 AM

My laptop updated it self and now my cursor sits at the middle of the start screen and I can't move it or use the keyboard. I tried fn + f7 already.

More about : acer laptop cursor move

a b D Laptop
May 11, 2013 6:02:26 AM

Try to plug in a USB mouse and let us know if that one works.
m
0
l
May 11, 2013 6:04:01 AM

house70 said:
Try to plug in a USB mouse and let us know if that one works.


I DId and it did not move still.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b D Laptop
May 11, 2013 7:41:36 AM

If you reboot into BIOS, can you use the keyboard?
Also, can you boot into safe mode?
m
0
l
May 11, 2013 8:06:33 AM

house70 said:
If you reboot into BIOS, can you use the keyboard?
Also, can you boot into safe mode?


I tried powering it off and then it used startup repair and then i got the blue screen of death. So sad. Then i had to re boot it and now it works. Thank you though. What does the blue screen of the do anyway? I read that it is a bad thing for windows.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b D Laptop
May 11, 2013 2:03:41 PM

You need to finish the repair by starting an installation, then selecting "repair an existing Windows install" during the wizard. That will repair the corrupted drivers and the registry keys. You'll need the activation key (on the label) and then re-apply Windows updates. You will keep your installed software, though.
BSODs are never good, crashes like that don't get to safely save system files that are in use. Too many of them and you'll need a repair install, like I described above. Most likely some corrupted files rendered the KB and mouse useless.
Share
June 12, 2013 4:50:07 AM

lovepurple said:
My laptop updated it self and now my cursor sits at the middle of the start screen and I can't move it or use the keyboard. I tried fn + f7 already.


My ACER 5732Z had the same problem. I Googled it and had all the usual wannabee armchair computer experts telling me to upload this and download that ....etc. Then I looked at the on/off switch which has a blue light behind it. To the left is a button that I never noticed before. It was showing a tiny red light. Turns out it is the on/off switch for the touchpad. Pressed it and the mouse works! Try this before the geekfreaks have your laptop in pieces!

m
1
l
December 5, 2013 11:09:47 PM

lovepurple said:
house70 said:
If you reboot into BIOS, can you use the keyboard?
Also, can you boot into safe mode?


I tried powering it off and then it used startup repair and then i got the blue screen of death. So sad. Then i had to re boot it and now it works. Thank you though. What does the blue screen of the do anyway? I read that it is a bad thing for windows.


m
0
l
December 5, 2013 11:15:18 PM

Love purple you are the best....it worked for me on my Acer aspire...fn+f7....no more tabbing
m
0
l
April 19, 2014 3:31:44 PM

THANKS A LOT!
m
0
l
July 20, 2014 2:05:00 PM

2 person named betty boop who said to push a button which just turns the cursor back on. Even though my button was in a different spot and blended in hiding, i was able to find it and it worked. the light for my cursor on and off button was just above the trackpad and the buttons below the light and not beside on off switch as other post. surprised because i could sign into windows ok using the cursor but then the cursor will not work at all when signed in and have not been able to use my laptop for 5 or 6 months. didn't have money to replace it so i've never been so happy with this or piece of junk.
m
0
l
October 12, 2014 10:18:49 AM

BRILLIANT! The same switch is on the 5517 and it solved the problem! thanks for putting that out...probably for a lot of Acer touchpad issues, that will be the solution that works! Keep contributing! Thanks again.
John from Surfsville CA


bettyboop22 said:
lovepurple said:
My laptop updated it self and now my cursor sits at the middle of the start screen and I can't move it or use the keyboard. I tried fn + f7 already.


My ACER 5732Z had the same problem. I Googled it and had all the usual wannabee armchair computer experts telling me to upload this and download that ....etc. Then I looked at the on/off switch which has a blue light behind it. To the left is a button that I never noticed before. It was showing a tiny red light. Turns out it is the on/off switch for the touchpad. Pressed it and the mouse works! Try this before the geekfreaks have your laptop in pieces!



m
0
l
!