7870 XT vs 7950

zeffir

Honorable
May 1, 2012
I know this question has been done many times but still I couldn't decide on the two. My native resolution is 1080p and I don't plan on going multiscreen or upgrading until this screen dies on me.

The 7870XT definitely has the best value compared to the 7950, which probably gives at an average maybe 10+~ FPS compared to the 7870XT. It's really hard to justify paying an extra $60 dollars for 10fps. I'm not saying I can't afford it though, I can afford at least up to a $330 GPU. I just don't want to end up wasting money.

Thinking about future-proofing is what makes this decision the tough. If 10fps is the difference of being able to play a next-gen game at high settings rather than medium settings then I'd feel rather stupid. $60+ right now is definitely cheaper than an upgrade down the road (sooner than later.)

I also can't find a 7950 to choose. There's Vapor-X, Dual-X, Twin Frozr, Windforce x3, Double D, IceQ. Pretty much all of them have great product reviews but mixed customer reviews so that makes it even more frustrating to choose. If I had a definitive 7950 in mind it would make choosing between the 7870xt or 7950 much easier. I just can't seem find a 7950 that I'll feel safe with purchasing.

I'm kind of leaning towards either the Windforce X3, Vapor X, or Twin Frozr. I'm just not sure which company is generally better (MSi, Gigabyte, or Sapphire.) I'd prefer a company that provides great customer service and reliable GPU's. I don't really want to decide between great customer service but crappy GPU or a great GPU but crappy customer service.

Solution
Get a sapphire DUAL-X, better cooled but a little louder but can be OCd to hell and back, the IceQ HIS are also Very good options

Side note : The Vapor-X cards have crappy VRMs.

exban224

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011

Go for the 7950 IceQ, its quiet and I have been able to OC the hell out of mine. MSI ones are a bit loud though, so check how loud they are first, as they all have around the same performance. The 7870XT would not last you as long as a 7950, but if you really need to save, then go for it.

zeffir

Honorable
May 1, 2012

Would you recommend the Twin Frozr? With MIR it's at $310, which is reasonable enough for me. Or would IceQ be a better pick?

zeffir

Honorable
May 1, 2012

Alright, thank you! Everyone else who helped as well! :)
I found a Dual-X on Amazon for $324.44-$20MIR so that's the cheapest (and sounds like the best) option yet.

That seems a little overpriced. Newegg has for less. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202026

EDIT : Oh minus. LOL nevermind!

ENJOY!

zeffir

Honorable
May 1, 2012

Actually thanks once again! I was looking at the 2L which is more expensive for some reason.

It has a boost function that clocks it higher automatically. But its just a little and I prefer manual overclocking, since the card can handle those clocks easily without the stupid boost function that keeps screwing with my OC, lol...