Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Help and advice with new build

Last response: in Systems
Share
May 11, 2013 2:11:53 PM

Hi could I get some advice on a new build with VT-d support please.

Approximate Purchase Date: In the next week or 2

Budget Range: £1000 After Shipping

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Virtualisation (VMWARE ESXi etc)

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: None

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: UK Sites (Amazon, Dabs, eBuyer, Scan etc)

Location: City, State/Region, Country - Wolverhampton, West Midlands, England.

Parts Preferences: VT-d Support for Virtualisation

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Your Monitor Resolution: Doesn't matter at this time, may buy a graphics card at a later date.

Additional Comments: I would like a quiet PC, with VT-d support.

Why Are You Upgrading: New build for Virtualisation.

Parts I have already selected (Maybe :)  )

Intel Core i7 (3770) 3.4GHz Quad Core Processor 8MB L3 Cache 5GT/s Bus Speed £226.99
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-3-4GHz-Processor-Cache-Sp...

AsRock Z77 Extreme6 Motherboard (Socket 1155, Intel Z77, Up to 32GB DDR3, ATX, USB 3.0, 4 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s, 7.1 CH HD Audio with Content Protection) £129.42
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Z77-Extreme6-Motherboard-Conten...

CORSAIR CMZ32GX3M4X1600C10 Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) Memory Kit PC3-12800 1600MHz DDR3 DIMM £197.73
http://www.amazon.co.uk/CORSAIR-CMZ32GX3M4X1600C10-Veng...

Cooler Master HAF 932 £99.02
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cooler-Master-HAF-Advanced-Case...

Samsung 840 Series Pro 256GB 2.5 inch SATA Solid State Drive £176.04
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Series-256GB-Solid-Stat...

Not sure about PSU

More about : advice build

May 12, 2013 1:43:03 AM

Hi

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/WI1s / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£220.39 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£67.92 @ Dabs)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£157.71 @ Dabs)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£179.94 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£68.18 @ Aria PC)
Case: Cooler Master HAF XM (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£87.54 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£52.41 @ Dabs)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-222AB DVD/CD Writer (£13.72 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £847.81
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-05-12 09:42 BST+0100)

m
0
l
May 12, 2013 6:38:17 AM

Thanks butremor

Do you think I will need a better PSU if I was to buy a graphics card in future like a GTX660?

Also I do not know much about the memory brand does it have good reviews?


butremor said:
Hi

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/WI1s / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£220.39 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£67.92 @ Dabs)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£157.71 @ Dabs)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£179.94 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£68.18 @ Aria PC)
Case: Cooler Master HAF XM (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£87.54 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£52.41 @ Dabs)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-222AB DVD/CD Writer (£13.72 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £847.81
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-05-12 09:42 BST+0100)



m
0
l
Related resources
May 12, 2013 8:36:01 AM

No, the current PSU will suffice.
And yes, G.skill is a great brand. I belive it will perform adequately to your needs.
m
0
l
May 15, 2013 12:13:50 PM

Looks like the G.Skill Ripjaws-X Memory is not available at dabs, its £179.59 at Amazon. Should I get it from Amazon at that price or look for something else?

The below deal any good?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-32GB-Vengeance-Memory-M...

butremor said:
No, the current PSU will suffice.
And yes, G.skill is a great brand. I belive it will perform adequately to your needs.


m
0
l
May 16, 2013 10:20:49 AM

The reason I was getting confused is when I was doing some research I found the below.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1338063/vt-d-compatible-moth...

Also when I look at the bios download page on the asrock site I see the below

"Modify VT-d Capability will be unsupported after flashing BIOS P2.30."

http://www.asrock.com/MB/overview.asp?cat=Download&os=B...
butremor said:
VT-d depends on cpu not the motherboard. In some motherboard versions of BIOS vt-d might be turned off, so you just need to turn it on.
http://superuser.com/questions/367290/how-to-enable-har...

m
0
l
May 16, 2013 11:07:12 AM

The board in my build is H77 Pro4 , not Extreme 6 you linked.
User manual found on ascrock site clearly indicates that Pro4 hasnt got VT-d - http://download.asrock.com/manual/H77%20Pro4MVP.pdf - page 54
well who knew, of all the h77 boards to select one i choose wouldn't fit.
DOn't worry
ZH77 Pro3
H77M
are two asrock boards that do support.
m
0
l
May 16, 2013 1:02:40 PM

Thanks for all your help, kit ordered.

butremor said:
The board in my build is H77 Pro4 , not Extreme 6 you linked.
User manual found on ascrock site clearly indicates that Pro4 hasnt got VT-d - http://download.asrock.com/manual/H77%20Pro4MVP.pdf - page 54
well who knew, of all the h77 boards to select one i choose wouldn't fit.
DOn't worry
ZH77 Pro3
H77M
are two asrock boards that do support.


m
0
l
!