Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Looking for a new HeatSink

Last response: in CPUs
Share
May 12, 2013 2:19:17 PM

Title says it all, lga1155 socket, budget is 30$, but i am able to go to 40$ if it makes a big differnece in temperatures. Currently my CPU will peak at 60 or 70 while under load, Hoping to bring that down a bit.

More about : heatsink

a c 93 à CPUs
May 12, 2013 2:24:48 PM

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO should fit that budget perfectly.

BTW, are you overclocking?
a b à CPUs
May 12, 2013 2:42:13 PM

Either the Coolermaster 212+ or the 212 Evo.... which ever one you can find for cheaper. the evo has a tiny better performance than the plus, but not worth the extra $5-10 you pay for it.
Related resources
May 12, 2013 4:44:00 PM

ksham said:
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO should fit that budget perfectly.

BTW, are you overclocking?


I have my GPU overclocked but not CPU, currently contempt with my 2.9 ghz i5. Haven't seen the need to upgrade for a while, as i rarely reach 90% on my cpu load even when playing Vidya games. I am looking to, in the future, Upgrading my GPU to a 680, and buying a new Motherboard, so i assume, before i do that i might want to upgrade my CPU.



a c 93 à CPUs
May 12, 2013 6:40:30 PM

Then you'll be fine with the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO. :) 
a b à CPUs
May 12, 2013 6:50:45 PM

Then do not get a Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO. It does not support the new sockets coming out in June. (which you will probably upgrade into and then you'll have to get another cooler)

You said you have a 2.9ghz stock clocked i5 processor. That's most likely a non k branded processor. that means you won't be able to overclock (not even really overclocking) it by much (2-300 mhz) either.

the sandy bridge and ivy bridge processors are fine running at 60-70C... As long as it's not in like the mid 80s or higher, it's totally fine.
May 12, 2013 7:07:08 PM

killerhurtalot said:
Then do not get a Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO. It does not support the new sockets coming out in June. (which you will probably upgrade into and then you'll have to get another cooler)

You said you have a 2.9ghz stock clocked i5 processor. That's most likely a non k branded processor. that means you won't be able to overclock (not even really overclocking) it by much (2-300 mhz) either.

the sandy bridge and ivy bridge processors are fine running at 60-70C... As long as it's not in like the mid 80s or higher, it's totally fine.


What i meant by upgrading soon, is Christmas time, when i will have around 400$ to spend on Motherboard (If necessary) and a CPU and probably for my birthday in april of next year, buying a new Graphics Card (Gtx 680 most likely currently have a 560, and its getting pretty hard to run some games on close to max settings.). But with it getting hotter here, i think it is worth it to just shell out the 30$ for this heat sink.
exact proccesor i have is a i5 2300 @ 2.8GH/s it hovers around 2.9 or sometime 3 for a second, so i looked at CPU-Z and it said 2987.47 so i just put the 2.9 part.
a c 93 à CPUs
May 12, 2013 7:14:32 PM

@killerhurtalot: it is usually not a great idea to uncheck BAs marked by OP unless it was by mistake or there's a better BA available. It is their thread and if a post correctly solves their problem, they are free to mark it as the BA. If it were marked by a random person, then yeah, it's probably fine to uncheck.
a b à CPUs
May 12, 2013 7:27:29 PM

ksham said:
@killerhurtalot: it is usually not a great idea to uncheck BAs marked by OP unless it was by mistake or there's a better BA available. It is their thread and if a post correctly solves their problem, they are free to mark it as the BA. If it were marked by a random person, then yeah, it's probably fine to uncheck.


ya. sorry. i accidentally unchecked that... still getting used to the entire new solution thing... (still wondering why they allow people other than the op to pick as solution)
a b à CPUs
May 12, 2013 7:29:03 PM

MrRussellLuther said:
killerhurtalot said:
Then do not get a Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO. It does not support the new sockets coming out in June. (which you will probably upgrade into and then you'll have to get another cooler)

You said you have a 2.9ghz stock clocked i5 processor. That's most likely a non k branded processor. that means you won't be able to overclock (not even really overclocking) it by much (2-300 mhz) either.

the sandy bridge and ivy bridge processors are fine running at 60-70C... As long as it's not in like the mid 80s or higher, it's totally fine.


What i meant by upgrading soon, is Christmas time, when i will have around 400$ to spend on Motherboard (If necessary) and a CPU and probably for my birthday in april of next year, buying a new Graphics Card (Gtx 680 most likely currently have a 560, and its getting pretty hard to run some games on close to max settings.). But with it getting hotter here, i think it is worth it to just shell out the 30$ for this heat sink.
exact proccesor i have is a i5 2300 @ 2.8GH/s it hovers around 2.9 or sometime 3 for a second, so i looked at CPU-Z and it said 2987.47 so i just put the 2.9 part.


still don't understand why you need to cool it if you're not overclocking. having it be in the 50s/60s or even 70s under load is fine... it's not going to damage the processor in any way or form...
May 12, 2013 7:41:56 PM

killerhurtalot said:
MrRussellLuther said:
killerhurtalot said:
Then do not get a Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO. It does not support the new sockets coming out in June. (which you will probably upgrade into and then you'll have to get another cooler)

You said you have a 2.9ghz stock clocked i5 processor. That's most likely a non k branded processor. that means you won't be able to overclock (not even really overclocking) it by much (2-300 mhz) either.

the sandy bridge and ivy bridge processors are fine running at 60-70C... As long as it's not in like the mid 80s or higher, it's totally fine.


What i meant by upgrading soon, is Christmas time, when i will have around 400$ to spend on Motherboard (If necessary) and a CPU and probably for my birthday in april of next year, buying a new Graphics Card (Gtx 680 most likely currently have a 560, and its getting pretty hard to run some games on close to max settings.). But with it getting hotter here, i think it is worth it to just shell out the 30$ for this heat sink.
exact proccesor i have is a i5 2300 @ 2.8GH/s it hovers around 2.9 or sometime 3 for a second, so i looked at CPU-Z and it said 2987.47 so i just put the 2.9 part.


still don't understand why you need to cool it if you're not overclocking. having it be in the 50s/60s or even 70s under load is fine... it's not going to damage the processor in any way or form...


BAsically for peace of mind, that if it gets very hot where i live, i wont have to risk my proccesor going into the 90's or even higher, if i lave my computer on for a while.
a c 93 à CPUs
May 12, 2013 7:45:31 PM

You can't cool below ambient temperature. How about getting an AC unit for your room?
May 12, 2013 8:29:14 PM

ksham said:
You can't cool below ambient temperature. How about getting an AC unit for your room?


Indeed, where i live, it will sometimes get close to 110F (doing the math in my head, 38C or so) so id like to get pretty close to that number. The air flow in my case is the best that is possiblee with it currently.

This is the actual case, and the air flow they recommend and most people find works perfectly: https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1ASUM_enUS499US499&...

But, to combat the heat my computer generates at the moment, i have a window fan running and Ceiling fan running both whenever my computer is running.
!