Solved

ASUS VX7SX - 2nd hard drive (1TB SATA) not detected

Hi all

I changed out my two 750GB HDDs from my ASUS Lamborghini and I installed a 128GB SSD and a 1TB SATA drive.

I installed Windows 7 on the 1TB HDD and got it to run successfully. It can see the 128GB SSD as drive D.

I then changed the boot order and installed Windows 8 on the SSD and got it to run successfully - almost.

Unfortunately, Windows 8 does not detect the 1TB HDD. It is not visible in Windows Explorer. It is not visible in Disk Management at all - the only two drives listed in Disk Management are the SSD and the BluRay drives. Both the SSD and the 1TB HDD are visible in BIOS and they are visible when I boot into Windows 7. Even running a command prompt and DISKPART does not detect the 1TB HDD in Windows 8. However, everything works normally if I boot into Windows 7.

So, in summary :
- both drives work perfectly if I boot into Windows 7 which is installed on the 1TB HDD
- both drives are visible in BIOS
- running Disk Management in Windows 8 does NOT show the 1TB HDD in any way
- I have upgraded ALL drivers to the latest available from the ASUS website.

Can ANYONE help me, please. I'm starting to get a bit peeved here.

thanks
Carl
15 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about asus vx7sx 2nd hard drive 1tb sata detected
  1. Can only suggest you try 3rd party software like EaseUs to see if it finds the drive, and what options are available...

    http://download.cnet.com/EaseUS-Partition-Master-Home-Edition/3000-2248_4-10863346.html
  2. Hey Carmer(Carl),
    I think You havent Clean Installed Windows 8
    Please Reinstall it but dont upgrade but clean install it
    It will definately resolve your issue

    Regards and Enjoy:)
  3. dodger46 said:
    Can only suggest you try 3rd party software like EaseUs to see if it finds the drive, and what options are available...

    http://download.cnet.com/EaseUS-Partition-Master-Home-Edition/3000-2248_4-10863346.html

    EaseUs is Dangerous Software :(
    it corrupted my hard drive once :sarcastic:
    :no:
  4. Shubham Verlekar said:
    dodger46 said:
    Can only suggest you try 3rd party software like EaseUs to see if it finds the drive, and what options are available...

    http://download.cnet.com/EaseUS-Partition-Master-Home-Edition/3000-2248_4-10863346.html

    EaseUs is Dangerous Software :(
    it corrupted my hard drive once :sarcastic:
    :no:


    I've been using it for years and have never had a problem yet... otherwise I wouldn't recommend it...
  5. dodger46 said:
    Shubham Verlekar said:
    dodger46 said:
    Can only suggest you try 3rd party software like EaseUs to see if it finds the drive, and what options are available...

    http://download.cnet.com/EaseUS-Partition-Master-Home-Edition/3000-2248_4-10863346.html

    EaseUs is Dangerous Software :(
    it corrupted my hard drive once :sarcastic:
    :no:


    I've been using it for years and have never had a problem yet... otherwise I wouldn't recommend it...



    Once I was Using it
    when i was transferring volume from C to D drive it stuck to 27% for an hour then some error came and restarted and then my HDD was corrupted
  6. Shubham Verlekar said:
    Hey Carmer(Carl),
    I think You havent Clean Installed Windows 8
    Please Reinstall it but dont upgrade but clean install it
    It will definately resolve your issue

    Regards and Enjoy:)

    OP stated he Installed W8 on the SSD not upgraded, thus Clean Installed...
  7. Yes, I definitely CLEAN INSTALLED Win 8 on the SSD.

    Google has definitely been a close companion on this issue, but still no resolution. It seems to be a fairly common problem but the "solutions" that I've found have mainly related to assigning a drive letter in Drive Management - of course that only works if I can actually see the drive first!

    Intel RST sees the 1TB HDD and identifies it correctly, but labels it as "Incompatible".

    This is driving me bonkers. When I get home, I'm gonna swap the drives i.e. swap the SATA connections over - see if that makes any difference.

    Carl
  8. carmar said:
    Yes, I definitely CLEAN INSTALLED Win 8 on the SSD.

    Google has definitely been a close companion on this issue, but still no resolution. It seems to be a fairly common problem but the "solutions" that I've found have mainly related to assigning a drive letter in Drive Management - of course that only works if I can actually see the drive first!

    Intel RST sees the 1TB HDD and identifies it correctly, but labels it as "Incompatible".

    This is driving me bonkers. When I get home, I'm gonna swap the drives i.e. swap the SATA connections over - see if that makes any difference.

    Carl

    You can do that its success percentage is 90%
  9. carmar said:
    Yes, I definitely CLEAN INSTALLED Win 8 on the SSD.

    Google has definitely been a close companion on this issue, but still no resolution. It seems to be a fairly common problem but the "solutions" that I've found have mainly related to assigning a drive letter in Drive Management - of course that only works if I can actually see the drive first!

    Intel RST sees the 1TB HDD and identifies it correctly, but labels it as "Incompatible".

    This is driving me bonkers. When I get home, I'm gonna swap the drives i.e. swap the SATA connections over - see if that makes any difference.

    Carl

    Was hoping you'd have the option in EaseUs to assign a Drive letter, it often sees things Windows can't!
    Swapping connections definitely worth a try. These new UEFIs are causing a lot of problems, too, make sure the Drive is enabled in Setup...
  10. dodger46 said:
    carmar said:
    Yes, I definitely CLEAN INSTALLED Win 8 on the SSD.

    Google has definitely been a close companion on this issue, but still no resolution. It seems to be a fairly common problem but the "solutions" that I've found have mainly related to assigning a drive letter in Drive Management - of course that only works if I can actually see the drive first!

    Intel RST sees the 1TB HDD and identifies it correctly, but labels it as "Incompatible".

    This is driving me bonkers. When I get home, I'm gonna swap the drives i.e. swap the SATA connections over - see if that makes any difference.

    Carl

    Was hoping you'd have the option in EaseUs to assign a Drive letter, it often sees things Windows can't!
    Swapping connections definitely worth a try. These new UEFIs are causing a lot of problems, too, make sure the Drive is enabled in Setup...



    Hey Dodger

    I have EaseUs, so I'll install it and see what happens before I change SATA connections - it is a right royal pain in the backside to change hard drives in the Lamborghini - gotta take the keyboard completely out, which means remove about 10 screws, two ribbon connectors etc. etc.

    I'm not sure what you mean when you say I should "... make sure the Drive is enabled in Setup" - can you tell me what you mean, please, or tell me how to do it.

    thanks
    Carl
  11. Best answer
    carmar said:
    dodger46 said:
    carmar said:
    Yes, I definitely CLEAN INSTALLED Win 8 on the SSD.

    Google has definitely been a close companion on this issue, but still no resolution. It seems to be a fairly common problem but the "solutions" that I've found have mainly related to assigning a drive letter in Drive Management - of course that only works if I can actually see the drive first!

    Intel RST sees the 1TB HDD and identifies it correctly, but labels it as "Incompatible".

    This is driving me bonkers. When I get home, I'm gonna swap the drives i.e. swap the SATA connections over - see if that makes any difference.

    Carl

    Was hoping you'd have the option in EaseUs to assign a Drive letter, it often sees things Windows can't!
    Swapping connections definitely worth a try. These new UEFIs are causing a lot of problems, too, make sure the Drive is enabled in Setup...



    Hey Dodger

    I have EaseUs, so I'll install it and see what happens before I change SATA connections - it is a right royal pain in the backside to change hard drives in the Lamborghini - gotta take the keyboard completely out, which means remove about 10 screws, two ribbon connectors etc. etc.

    I'm not sure what you mean when you say I should "... make sure the Drive is enabled in Setup" - can you tell me what you mean, please, or tell me how to do it.

    thanks
    Carl


    I've seen pages in various UEFIs, some under Boot tab, where the drives are listed and selected individually. I'll see if I can find a Service Manual for your Asus with UEFI details.
  12. Hi Dodger

    I'm not overly familiar with the UEFI concept, but if Win 7 shows both hard drives (the 1TB SATA boot drive and the second SSD drive) and Win 8 only shows the SSD boot drive, then it shouldn't be related to the BIOS values, should it?

    I would have thought that it was more to do with Win 8.

    However, I still haven't tried either of your earlier suggestions, as I'm not home yet.

    regards
    Carl
  13. carmar said:
    Hi Dodger

    I'm not overly familiar with the UEFI concept, but if Win 7 shows both hard drives (the 1TB SATA boot drive and the second SSD drive) and Win 8 only shows the SSD boot drive, then it shouldn't be related to the BIOS values, should it?

    I would have thought that it was more to do with Win 8.

    However, I still haven't tried either of your earlier suggestions, as I'm not home yet.

    regards
    Carl

    Agreed, but the relationship between W8 and Secure boot in the modern UEFI seems to cause unpredictable results in some rigs! Beyond me, anyway...
  14. Well......

    Swapped the SATA connectors over. Didn't fix the problem.

    Reformatted both the SSD and the 1TB HDD. Reinstalled Windows 8.

    Voila! I could see the 1TB HDD.

    Installed the hardware-specific drivers.

    Boom! Could no longer see the 1TB HDD.

    Reformatted both HDDs and reinstalled Windows 8. I could again see the 1TB HDD.

    Installed all drivers except Intel RST, Intel chipset drivers and a couple of other drivers that looked like they might stuff around with hard drive stuff.

    And I could still see the 1TB HDD. Yay!

    And that's where I am now. Runs beautifully ... and quickly boots off the SSD.

    Who needs those other drivers, anyway?

    Thanks for your help guys.

    Carl
  15. carmar said:
    Well......

    Swapped the SATA connectors over. Didn't fix the problem.

    Reformatted both the SSD and the 1TB HDD. Reinstalled Windows 8.

    Voila! I could see the 1TB HDD.

    Installed the hardware-specific drivers.

    Boom! Could no longer see the 1TB HDD.

    Reformatted both HDDs and reinstalled Windows 8. I could again see the 1TB HDD.

    Installed all drivers except Intel RST, Intel chipset drivers and a couple of other drivers that looked like they might stuff around with hard drive stuff.

    And I could still see the 1TB HDD. Yay!

    And that's where I am now. Runs beautifully ... and quickly boots off the SSD.

    Who needs those other drivers, anyway?

    Thanks for your help guys.

    Carl

    Good for you, though slightly disturbing that these drivers would cause such a problem. Another one for the problems database...
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows 8