7870 XT 2gb W/Boost discontinued?

catswold

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009

PNY is a good reputable manufacturer. I had a PNY GTX 9800 GTX+ XLR8 that took everything I could throw at it, including running SETI data sets. I wouldn't hesitate to buy that card if it met my needs.

ImperialDiamond

Honorable
May 7, 2013
Hi, I previously had a 7870 XT 2gb W/ Boost, and it was a terrible card. I have a very high end PC and the card crashed
on many of the high-end games I played. I only had this card for a few days and It was already downhill. So I replaced it with a much better card. I suggest going for the 660 ti, as the 660 ti has way better performance, from my experience. Plus NVIDIA has much better performance with games, and it has CUDA and PHYSX. I suggest you DON'T get the 7870 XT!

ESKlassen

Honorable
May 1, 2013

I guess that varies from one person to another but I've seen many reviews of it beating the 660 ti and coming very close to the 7950 when OC'd.

I might wait for the 760 ti and if the prices of the 600 series drop, buy the 660 ti.

ImperialDiamond

Honorable
May 7, 2013

Well, There are pros of cons of the 7870 XT beating the 660 Ti. The 7870 XT is almost equivalent to the 7950, as the 7870 XT was officially made to be the 7950 but it failed, so they named it the 7870 XT W/ Boost instead. The 7870 XT might have better performance, but the 660 Ti comes close. Don't forget, NVIDIA has CUDA and PHYSX, which ATI doesn't. This is a preference based topic, on either you prefer NVIDIA or Radeon. The problem with the XT, from my experience. Is that it has many bugs and crashes, per say, if you are running a high-end game it will have many crashes, as well as other low-end games, i'm sure. I knew someone on a forum who said their XT died in two weeks. Mine was only used for a few days, and was terrible, Which is why I upgraded to way better.

ESKlassen

Honorable
May 1, 2013

Did you have a proper case and psu and did you OC it?

What does CUDA and PHYSX help me when gaming?

Imperial, you're using a single case; it's quite possible you had a bad card. A number of your other points don't really help much, especially when you consider that the 7870XT competes with the 660ti but costs $50 less.

There are many people who have 7870 XTs which function perfectly, and they love them. The chance of getting a bad card is no more than that of any other electronic part.

Cuda doesn't give you any benefit when gaming; it's important when using programs like photoshop (but not in any way an advantage - AMD has stream processors rather than cuda cores, and the only difference is that some programs support one and some support the other.)

PhysX is a feature in all of about 12 games that you can enable to have a lot of particles on screen at once. It's kinda a cool feature, but by NO MEANS should it be a deciding factor unless you only play one game and it has physx.

ImperialDiamond

Honorable
May 7, 2013
Darksable, my card was perfectly operational, and had great performance. I just didn't find crashing to be of my expertise in gaming. My case is high-end as the rest of my specifications. As of the problems of this card, It could be good for some people, depending on your preference, what you're using the card for. Don't forget, the manufacturer of the card is Sapphire. Sapphire is of the lowest brand name GPU's, and don't always work as well. Same as ZOTAC. Oh, and the 7870 XT does compete with the 660ti actually, the benchmarks display that some games run better on 660 ti, and some 7870 XT.
I, here probly have the best experience of graphic cards, because I upgraded to the 660 ti from the 7870 XT, and the 660 Ti has much better performance. (In my case). Oh and Physx actually supports 22 games , mind you.

Note: I am not attempting to be negative about the card xD, I am only telling you of it's capabilities and how it Is, but then again, up to you.
Oh, and from the 7870 XT to the 660 Ti, my card has run perfectly. It's amazing.

... constant crashing isn't "perfectly operational," it's a sign that something is wrong. It's also not typical of the card.

Sapphire is actually quite a good brand, no more than a step below the giant hitters like Asus.

If you're happy with the 660ti, then that's great, but I'm not entirely certain that you got the full and proper experience of the 7870xt.