Needs help deciding which PSU would be suitable for my PC.

Hey, Firstly thanks for anyone who is able to help, it really is appreciated.

I need help with deciding which PSU would be best suited for my custom PC which i made around a year ago, currently i only have a cheap PSU which came with my case. On the weekend i'm planning on buying a HD7850 Graphics card from Amazon UK so i defiantly need to update my PSU.

My PC specs are as follows:
Motherboard: Asus M5A78L-M/USB3
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 - 3.4 Ghz AM3 Black Edition
Ram: Corsair 8GB 1600Mhz CL9 DDR3 Vengeance
Graphics card: Sapphire HD 6570 1GB DDR3 Graphics Card (soon to be HD7850)

I've been looking at the Corsair Builder Series CX 430 Watt on amazon (link below sorry if its not allowed), will this be able to run my pc without any problems with the HD7850 in? or would i need to go up to a 500/600/750 watt Corsair Cx?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009RMP14M/ref=s9_simh_gw_p147_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0DGTDA79MH8QGDGN14ZN&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=358549767&pf_rd_i=468294

Also on a side note would my CPU be okay with the HD7850 and not bottleneck or cause any problems?

Thank you for your time.

EDIT: i'm currently on a budget for the psu so a highend psu is defiantly out my price range
9 answers Last reply
More about deciding psu suitable
  1. Hah links are allowed :P 430 watt PSU won't be enough for those specs, you're best trying a 500w PSU. Also the 7870 is alot better than the 7850 and just a little bit more money! Your CPU shouldn't bottleneck either, and will play most modern games on high at a decent FPS.
  2. MJSBLUES said:
    Hah links are allowed :P 430 watt PSU won't be enough for those specs, you're best trying a 500w PSU. Also the 7870 is alot better than the 7850 and just a little bit more money! Your CPU shouldn't bottleneck either, and will play most modern games on high at a decent FPS.


    Hey thanks for your reply. unfortunatly i have a budget of 200 GBP to get the Graphics Card and the PSU so i won't be able to go for the 7870.

    haha I've just realized about the aloud, it's been a long day at work so my brains shutting down for the night lol
  3. The CX430 will just handle the 7850 and rest of the system. I wouldn't overclock anything though. If its what you can afford then go for it.

    Any other PSUs in budget?
  4. improdz said:
    MJSBLUES said:
    Hah links are allowed :P 430 watt PSU won't be enough for those specs, you're best trying a 500w PSU. Also the 7870 is alot better than the 7850 and just a little bit more money! Your CPU shouldn't bottleneck either, and will play most modern games on high at a decent FPS.


    Hey thanks for your reply. unfortunatly i have a budget of 200 GBP to get the Graphics Card and the PSU so i won't be able to go for the 7870.

    haha I've just realized about the aloud, it's been a long day at work so my brains shutting down for the night lol


    What do you mean by 'aloud'? Hah, have a good night ;)
  5. 4745454b said:
    The CX430 will just handle the 7850 and rest of the system. I wouldn't overclock anything though. If its what you can afford then go for it.

    Any other PSUs in budget?


    The CX 500 is in budget
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-Builder-Series-Bronze-Supply/dp/B009RMP2VE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1368472570&sr=8-2&keywords=corsair+psu

    But i could also stretch the budget slightly to get the CX600

    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-Builder-Series-Bronze-Supply/dp/B009RMP44O/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1368472571&sr=8-5&keywords=corsair+psu
  6. Any other PSUs? The CX500 is a better idea. In another thread I'm talking about how some people don't like the CX line. The CX430/500 will power your system just fine. Even with the 7850. You probably don't want to do any overclocking (OCing) however.
  7. 4745454b said:
    Any other PSUs? The CX500 is a better idea. In another thread I'm talking about how some people don't like the CX line. The CX430/500 will power your system just fine. Even with the 7850. You probably don't want to do any overclocking (OCing) however.


    i've done some looking around but so far all i've found is the CX. I'll carry on looking and ill update this thread once i find some in my budget
  8. Ok. Antec, SeaSonic, XFX, all make good PSUs. FSP, Coolermaster, Enermax can also be quite good. (To be fair to Enermax their PSUs are as good as Seasonics, but they are pricey.)
  9. 4745454b said:
    Any other PSUs? The CX500 is a better idea. In another thread I'm talking about how some people don't like the CX line. The CX430/500 will power your system just fine. Even with the 7850. You probably don't want to do any overclocking (OCing) however.

    Hahah my thread :D
Ask a new question

Read More

Amazon Graphics Cards Components