1366 x 768 resolution

rodarzyck

Honorable
May 4, 2013
My tv runs natively at this resolution. I am currently building my first computer.
I was going to initially rely on the integrated gpu but later, when I can afford and most likely when the radeon hd 8000 series launches, I am planning on purchasing a high level gpu....

my question is. How many years would the best offerings in the gpu market allow me to play on max/ultra settings or closer while running games at this resolution?

I know 1080 is 'better' but my tv is 32 inches and I remember reading an article a while back that under a certain size screen 1080p is wasted... whether this is true or not is moot. I own what I own.

All the same, I'm curious as to how long a life my purchase will have.
(console gamer opting out of this next up generation in favor of pc... a long running desire)

rodarzyck

Honorable
May 4, 2013
only a couple of years? even though its a lower resolution? that's a little disheartening, but if thats the trend...

how will the 8000 series compare to this upcoming gen of consoles?

The Indomitable

Honorable
Jan 2, 2013
I myself use a 7970 but I'm at 1080p and plan on upgrading to 1440 in the future. For 768 though, I'm not sure. If you spend $400-500 on a graphics card like the next gen consoles will cost, you'll definitely get a lot better performance from your money. a $500 card now will last you three years at least even with demanding games. You may have to drop texture quality and all that nearing the third or so year but you'll always get good framerates.

I personally wouldn't spend $500 on a GPU, especially at 720p resolution. Something in the $100-200 range is plenty for that resolution. The GPU market changes so fast that by the time you need to upgrade your GPU, the CPU will probably need some upgrading too, but it depends on what you play also and what resolution you play under. Obviously if there is a possibility of gaming at 1080p in the near future, the $200-$400 GPU would make more sense.

For now it seems that the HD8000 series isn't happening, AMD are jumping straight into the HD9000 series (Volcanic Islands) end of the year/next year. Which is actually fairly neat in a way, the HD8000 (Sea Islands I believe) was just a die shrink of the GCN architecture used in the HD7000 series. The Volcanic Island cards will be using a new architecture and a die shrink, which is fairly big.
At the very least it will put AMD ahead of Nvidia by one generation until they can catch up, which Nvidia can do but has proven very costly in the past.

How Next-Gen consoles compare to the PC, a PS4 has graphical capabilities around that of a HD7850. Xbox would be about the same, the Wii U is about the level of current consoles.

I agree with the others, dropping a lot of money on a GPU when your playing at that resolution is pointless. Get a $200 card at most, if your upgrading to 1080p later on then go for it.