7850 Random display signal on Boot

mira9e

Honorable
Jan 6, 2013
Hi, I've been experiencing a recurring problem with my MSI 7850oc although I'm not sure if another component could be causing the problem.

Whenever I boot there's a very good chance that my monitor will not show a display signal and I say chance because I can reboot 2-10 times before I get a display. I may get a signal on the 1st reboot or the 10th; there is no observable pattern.
I tried using the MB graphics via vga and I get a picture (the card doesn't have VGA). The problem persists when I use another monitor with hdmi/dvi. I've tried both hdmi/hdmi and dvi/hdmi with my own monitor and gfx card and the random display issue still occurs.
It seems as if the card itself may be an issue but it works flawlessly the rest of the time and I doubt its the cable or monitor for reasons outlined above.
This is a budget build about 4 months old now and and this display issue has persisted in varying degrees since then. In that time I have re-installed windows 7, and gone through 2-3 driver revisions (on 13.5beta now).

The rest of my specs are as follows:
i3-3220
4GB DDR3 RAM
MSI Z77-G43

There are probably some other solutions I've yet to try but am unaware of, some suggestions would be much appreciated.

mira9e

Honorable
Jan 6, 2013
ok so i seated the card in the second pci-e slot, rebooted several times and it seems to be working without issue. The second slot is pci-e 2.0 x16 at x4 speed, will I see a decrease in performance using this slot? Also, would reseating the card in its original pci-e 3.0 x16 slot maybe restore functionality?

Mahisse

Distinguished

Depends on the game, what resolution your playing at and the card you're using. Personally I wouldn't use a x4 speed PCIe for a card like the 7850 since it won't be able to provide maximum perfomance. Read this article: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/pcie-geforce-gtx-480-x16-x8-x4,2696.html and you will see how much/little perfomance difference there is depending on what game you are playing and what resolution you are playing at. I would just get a new mothermoard if I were you.

mira9e

Honorable
Jan 6, 2013
I've read that MSI Z77-G43's have some issues. I'll try reseating the card in the original slot and if the problem persist I'll have to get a new MB. In any case, thanks for assist guys.

FunSurfer

Distinguished

You can try this, maybe it was just a reseating problem, but before you do that, check that all the pins on the 3.0 slot are OK.

Molax Siao

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013
we have the same problem. mine was xfx 7850..very similar problem and until now im still in it. tried the 2nd pcie slot but it just worked temporarily. hope you update this thread.

mira9e

Honorable
Jan 6, 2013

My second slot worked fine when I tried it, and I must have rebooted/cold booted at least 7 times without issue. I took some compressed air to the first slot and reseated my 7850 there and it seems to be working fine so I think it may have been poorly seated or dusty. In my case it seems to be the MB that's at fault, if you tried both slots then maybe your 7850 has a damaged/faulty pin? I really can't be sure though. If you can, try another card: if the problem persists then you'll know for sure that the MB is at fault.