Sign in with
Your question

Is the i3-3220 or i5-3350P better for gaming?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
May 14, 2013 5:58:20 AM

Hi there, I would just like some opinions on which of the 2 above CPUs is better for gaming. I know that quad core CPUs are better mostly, but I heard that the i3-3220 actually handles gaming better than the 3350P. Is this true?

More about : 3220 3350p gaming

a c 79 à CPUs
May 14, 2013 6:04:36 AM

the i3-3220 have faster standard core speed. but I would go with the quad core for newer/future games.
a b à CPUs
May 14, 2013 6:05:53 AM

i5 as it is quad core. so in a way its twice the power [ im not sure if its actually true but it will be much more powerful]
Related resources
a b à CPUs
May 14, 2013 6:19:21 AM

Realistically it depends on the game and your other hardware, but overall it's 3220 < 3550P < 3570K (OC'd of course).
a b à CPUs
May 14, 2013 6:24:31 AM

ok first of all, more cores doesnt really mean its more powerful in a direct way.

more cores on a cpu will help you do parallel tasks easier at the same time. actually typically the power of the processor is measured by its core frequency. so... more frequency equals to faster processing which is more power. (this is a basic explanation)

but ofcourse, on a computer you actually never use only one application at a time. so having more cores will have effective results on sharing your workload. remember that one single task is always processed by 1 core of the cpu, unless the application is strictly designed to run multiple cores. only newer games and professional applications actually benefit from more than 2 physical cores.

so...
yes multiple cores will benefit to your performance. especially newer cpu's are more effective in that way.
but...
remember that frequency is the real deal because it effects how fast your cpu responses to the active tasks.

in you situation

an i3-3220 has 3.30ghz with dual cores
an i5-3350p has 3.1ghz with quad cores

200MHz in real world makes no difference to your experience, but quad core will help you easily pass around multi-tasking and makes you feel smoother.

AND YEA GO FOR 3350P! :D 

well... probably there are some more technical stuff to be explained here but this is the general idea.

good luck.
May 14, 2013 6:33:11 AM

thasan1 said:
i5 as it is quad core. so in a way its twice the power [ im not sure if its actually true but it will be much more powerful]

It's not exactly twice the power, because many applications don't (yet) take full advantage of four CPU cores. By the same token, the i3 might have a small advantage over a stock i5 3350 in certain games because it has a ~200MHz (off the top of my head) per-core speed advantage (stock).

The four-cores-versus-two-cores advantage also isn't twice the power because the i3 has Hyperthreading, whereas the i5 doesn't. Standard real-world-performance estimates of Hyperthreading put it roughly on par with about 30% of a full, physical CPU core. So as a practical matter, the i3 has more like 2.6 (2 * 1.3) cores versus the i5's 4.

And that's why the i3 absolutely smokes its dual-core (without Hyperthreading) Pentium cousins in most gaming benchmarks. As of right now, the average game uses somewhat fewer than 4 physical CPU cores, but it also uses more than 2. Expect more games to be more multi-threaded going forward.

What's the bottom line on all of my rambling? Well, there are two rough conclusions: on the one hand, the i3 is better than you might think. On the other hand, the i3's very advantage over its lower-budget cousins shows us that extra CPU cores can have a dramatic real-world gaming benefit -- and more and more games will take advantage of multiple threads as time passes.

The i5 3350p is, in my mind, therefore a better long-term bet. It's even possible to overclock it a little bit (~10-15%), provided you have an appropriate motherboard.
May 16, 2013 9:59:41 AM

What is the video rendering time of the 3350P for a 10 minute video approximately? It would be great if you could tell me.
a c 79 à CPUs
May 16, 2013 2:01:42 PM

GamingPudding said:
What is the video rendering time of the 3350P for a 10 minute video approximately? It would be great if you could tell me.

the depend on a lot of thing like, resolution, codec, ...
!