Solved

Microsoft Antivirus? 3words

I was chatting with someone when they said "Microsoft Antivirus" was giving them a warning message about needing to scan their system. I asked on Freenodes' Windows channel and they said that it sounded like spyware as MS's product was Defender. I was wondering if anyone else had bumped into that little one and knew if they need to install something like Malwarebytes or have them manually run Windows Defender?
17 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about microsoft antivirus 3words
  1. Windows Defender is not an Anti-virus. Microsoft Security Essentials however is.
  2. It's called Microsoft Security Essentials for windows xp through windows 7, they also have Windows Defender (like malware program) on them as part of the OS but it's not very good. Under windows 8 it's called Windows Defender and it's part of the OS and is the same as Microsoft Security Essentials. Microsoft doesn't have a program called Microsoft AntiVirus, there last AntiVirus was Microsoft One Care!. If unsure run MalwareBytes, SpyBot and tdsskiller to check.

    Hope this helps..
  3. I don't really trust Microsoft anti-virus (aka Security Essentials or One Care). They're far from being the best.

    The best one you can currently get is BitDefender. Avira, Kaspersky and Avast also receive good recommendation.
  4. I'd go with BitDefender or Avast, they can find things that others can't. And tell your friend to set up additional protection as well to prevent infections in the future. A VPN is a good shield in addition to antivirus.
  5. Hello DJRWolf,
    I am Explorer of windows 8
    I am experiencing it since September 2011
    So you can imagine my XP
    wait what did I just Read ?
    I never came across something called as "microsoft Antivirus" In my life :(
    There is only MS Security Essentials and One care also there is Windows Defender
    All of them are like EPIC Fail and Third Parties like Kaspersky and Bitdefender are ahead in this case

    Regards And Enjoy:)
  6. MSE hasn't passed certification in the last 2 years.
  7. Try McAfee Antivirus for scanning your system because its working efficiency is very good and give full protection to their user. McAfee user also get full support from the " McAfee Support " at any time for solving virus related issue.
  8. SR-71 Blackbird said:


    Missing Spybot and ClamWin/ClamAV on that list. But I am now going to be looking into ones like BitDefender and Emsisoft as they had such good scores.

    Programs like Norton and McAfee I have found to be a bit on the heavy resource use side.
  9. Install Avast! It's WAY better. You'll never go back.
    It's also very lightweight.
  10. Best answer
    The FREE version of Bitdefender runs smooth.
  11. DukeOvilla said:
    Install Avast! It's WAY better. You'll never go back.
    It's also very lightweight.


    Tried it on my Win7 first gen A8 laptop and it made the system slow down to a snails pace. Switched to AVG but it looks like I will be switching to BitDefender now with how good those results were.
  12. DJRWolf said:
    I was chatting with someone when they said "Microsoft Antivirus" was giving them a warning message about needing to scan their system. I asked on Freenodes' Windows channel and they said that it sounded like spyware as MS's product was Defender. I was wondering if anyone else had bumped into that little one and knew if they need to install something like Malwarebytes or have them manually run Windows Defender?


    Cyber-criminals today are actually so determined to enter your computer to be able to crack your financial data. For this reason they ripped Microsoft's genuine antivirus plan that will be the Microsoft Security Essentials, and the hackers called herpes Microsoft Important Security Pro 2013. Then you'll not truly place the difference between the true one and herpes, if you're a beginner to infections. Actually, this disease may also behave as anti-virus discovering threats on your pc (obviously the threats that it discovered aren't true). Listed here is the procedure.
  13. DJRWolf said:
    DukeOvilla said:
    Install Avast! It's WAY better. You'll never go back.
    It's also very lightweight.


    Tried it on my Win7 first gen A8 laptop and it made the system slow down to a snails pace. Switched to AVG but it looks like I will be switching to BitDefender now with how good those results were.


    DO NOT install more than one Anti-virus on conventional drives with mid-low range ahrdware. It kills them...
  14. Novuake said:
    DJRWolf said:
    DukeOvilla said:
    Install Avast! It's WAY better. You'll never go back.
    It's also very lightweight.


    Tried it on my Win7 first gen A8 laptop and it made the system slow down to a snails pace. Switched to AVG but it looks like I will be switching to BitDefender now with how good those results were.


    DO NOT install more than one Anti-virus on conventional drives with mid-low range ahrdware. It kills them...


    What? I'm not talking about having them all at the same time. I'm talking about first uninstalling one then installing a new one.
  15. DJRWolf said:
    Novuake said:
    DJRWolf said:
    DukeOvilla said:
    Install Avast! It's WAY better. You'll never go back.
    It's also very lightweight.


    Tried it on my Win7 first gen A8 laptop and it made the system slow down to a snails pace. Switched to AVG but it looks like I will be switching to BitDefender now with how good those results were.


    DO NOT install more than one Anti-virus on conventional drives with mid-low range ahrdware. It kills them...


    What? I'm not talking about having them all at the same time. I'm talking about first uninstalling one then installing a new one.


    Just checking...:ange:
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows 8 Antivirus Microsoft