Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Are these good components for a gaming PC?

Last response: in Systems
Share
May 14, 2013 8:17:08 AM

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/XbYp Are these good and if there not what can i change? My budget is about 2000 - 2500 dollars please help.

More about : good components gaming

May 14, 2013 8:25:27 AM

GO watercooling for more versatility and Portability. I would get just 8gb of ram (2 4gbs) Because all you really need is 8. I would get a asus Maximus V Extreme to maximize your crossfireness. You do not need a sound card with this motherboard. It has a great internal one. ALl in all it is a great build exept for those changes.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
May 14, 2013 8:36:44 AM

You need low profile RAM (and like said only really need 2x4GB) if getting four sticks, otherwise they won't fit under the Evo.

AMD seems to be having crossfire problems so might want to look at 670s, or getting one 7970 for now and seeing if they get it together with a driver or firmware update.

If just for gaming, can drop the HDD in favor of a 256GB SSD.

Unless electricity is very expensive where you live or you plan to run your PC under load for the better part of every day, a Bronze PSU is a better value.
m
0
l
Related resources
May 14, 2013 9:31:35 AM

Very nice get some low profile memory and have fun.
The AX 850 is what I have and it is rock solid.
If you will overclock very high you should look at a Noctua cooler.
Are you near a Microcenter? if so the I5 3570K is on sale for $169.99 and the Asrock Extreme 4 would be $96.99 as part of a bundle.
May want a pair of GTX 670 in SLI
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
May 14, 2013 9:35:58 AM

You don't have the budget to watercool, and honestly unless you are really OCing your CPU and GPUs, you don't need it.

I would stick with the 2 8GB Dimms, this way if you ever need/want more, you have a little more flexibility.

Unless you are going for super high overclocks, don't waste your money on the Maximus V, that AsRock will work great.

A sound card is personal preference, if you have nice headphones or speakers, you will want some kind of sound card to eliminate interference from your system.

As Jed mentioned, there can be clearance issues with RAM, try the Corsair LP series, they will fit underneath.

Microstuttering is an issue with more multi-GPU setups, and there is also compatibility and driver issues. I personally would rather get one GPU. If you are only gaming at 1080P, then one HD7970 will be plenty. Moving up to 2560x1440, I would take a look at the Titan. Just be aware the new nVidia 7XX series GPUs are due out soon, so prices will likely change.

You don't want to fill up SSDs too much or they lose performance, I would keep the HDD.
m
0
l
a c 276 4 Gaming
May 14, 2013 10:01:51 AM

ethanroxx said:
GO watercooling for more versatility and Portability. I would get just 8gb of ram (2 4gbs) Because all you really need is 8. I would get a asus Maximus V Extreme to maximize your crossfireness. You do not need a sound card with this motherboard. It has a great internal one. ALl in all it is a great build exept for those changes.


Neither of those things are necessary. Having a liquid cooler isn't necessary going to make an ATX rig portable, get an mATX rig or a Falcon Northwest Tiki if you want that. But then you're suggesting an XL-ATX motherboard which won't fit in the case and costs a ridiculous amount of money when a board that's half the price will Crossfire fine. Paying more for a motherboard won't make a rig future proof, it just means you overpaid for a motherboard.
m
0
l
May 14, 2013 10:36:31 AM

ethanroxx said:
GO watercooling for more versatility and Portability. I would get just 8gb of ram (2 4gbs) Because all you really need is 8. I would get a asus Maximus V Extreme to maximize your crossfireness. You do not need a sound card with this motherboard. It has a great internal one. ALl in all it is a great build exept for those changes.


J_E_D_70 said:
You need low profile RAM (and like said only really need 2x4GB) if getting four sticks, otherwise they won't fit under the Evo.

AMD seems to be having crossfire problems so might want to look at 670s, or getting one 7970 for now and seeing if they get it together with a driver or firmware update.

If just for gaming, can drop the HDD in favor of a 256GB SSD.

Unless electricity is very expensive where you live or you plan to run your PC under load for the better part of every day, a Bronze PSU is a better value.


Transmaniacon said:
You don't have the budget to watercool, and honestly unless you are really OCing your CPU and GPUs, you don't need it.

I would stick with the 2 8GB Dimms, this way if you ever need/want more, you have a little more flexibility.

Unless you are going for super high overclocks, don't waste your money on the Maximus V, that AsRock will work great.

A sound card is personal preference, if you have nice headphones or speakers, you will want some kind of sound card to eliminate interference from your system.

As Jed mentioned, there can be clearance issues with RAM, try the Corsair LP series, they will fit underneath.

Microstuttering is an issue with more multi-GPU setups, and there is also compatibility and driver issues. I personally would rather get one GPU. If you are only gaming at 1080P, then one HD7970 will be plenty. Moving up to 2560x1440, I would take a look at the Titan. Just be aware the new nVidia 7XX series GPUs are due out soon, so prices will likely change.

You don't want to fill up SSDs too much or they lose performance, I would keep the HDD.


m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
May 15, 2013 8:54:17 AM

On the SSD, as long as you leave 15-20% free your performance won't degrade. So, if Windows and sundry apps take up 30GB, you have ~170GB to install games (if you play more than that, it may be time to start exploring hobbies that expose you to sunlight).
m
0
l
!