Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question
Solved

I am on Windows 8, can I do a clean install of Windows 7, not 8, from the factory disk?

Tags:
  • Windows 7
  • Clean Install
  • Windows 8
Last response: in Windows 8
May 15, 2013 2:32:11 PM

I am on Windows 8, can I do a clean install of Windows 7, not 8, from the factory disk?

Also, I don't have a product key as I bought my computer new. Will this be a problem?

More about : windows clean install windows factory disk

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
May 15, 2013 2:39:00 PM

The factory disk of... windows 8? No, you can't install windows 7 with a windows 8 disk.

Also, your computer has the product key on a sticker somewhere on it; at least, it's supposed to.
Share
May 15, 2013 2:42:02 PM

DarkSable said:
The factory disk of... windows 8? No, you can't install windows 7 with a windows 8 disk.

Also, your computer has the product key on a sticker somewhere on it; at least, it's supposed to.


Sorry, I didn't include enough info. My computer came with windows 7 installed, I put W8 on it and now I want to restore it back to W7 as my friend does not want to buy a computer with W8.

I'll have a search for a product key somewhere, but my PC is 3 years old and if it's on a separate sheet, I've probably lost it. I only have the manual.

Thank you :) 
m
0
l
Related resources
May 15, 2013 2:44:57 PM

If you still have both the product key and the Windows 7 disc, there's no reason why it shouldn't be possible to install Windows 7.
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
May 15, 2013 2:55:54 PM

When you put windows 8 on it, was it an upgrade? If so, programs that find serial keys might be able to find the old windows 7 key.
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
a c 496 * Windows 8
May 15, 2013 3:17:27 PM

If it's a laptop the Recovery Partition may be intact, post your Model for assistance or consult your manual. Perhap there's even a Recovery partition on a Desktop?
m
0
l
May 15, 2013 3:19:10 PM

DarkSable said:
When you put windows 8 on it, was it an upgrade? If so, programs that find serial keys might be able to find the old windows 7 key.


I was not an upgrade version. I used Belarc Advisor, but only my window 8 key shows up on that. Any other suggestions?

thanks :) 
m
0
l
May 15, 2013 3:28:59 PM

Phew, the windows 7 product key is on the back of my Case
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
May 15, 2013 3:32:33 PM

Thought it'd probably be around there somewhere. So you're good to go? :) 
m
0
l
May 15, 2013 3:52:55 PM

DarkSable said:
Thought it'd probably be around there somewhere. So you're good to go? :) 


Almost. I'm just waiting on a reply from the guys over at the storage forums about my harddrive configuration. I've got them in RAID 0 from factory and want to know will I lose that If I format the harddrive.

Other than that, I'm pretty much ready.

Thanks for the help :) 
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
May 16, 2013 10:21:49 AM

Raid 0 should be something that's setup through the BIOS, unless you're using some wonky software to do it.
m
0
l
May 16, 2013 10:23:19 AM

DarkSable said:
Raid 0 should be something that's setup through the BIOS, unless you're using some wonky software to do it.


Will I have to reconfigure it if I format my drives? Is it difficult to do?
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
May 16, 2013 10:38:23 AM

1) Maybe, but probably not.

2) If you're doing it through the BIOS? Not at all.
m
0
l
May 16, 2013 11:52:40 AM

DarkSable said:
1) Maybe, but probably not.

2) If you're doing it through the BIOS? Not at all.


I've looked up a few videos on it an it seems easy.

Thanks again for all the help :) 
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
May 16, 2013 12:07:12 PM

Of course!
m
0
l