$850 Gaming Rig Check (Plan on buying in one/two days)

G

The current build can be seen here:
http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/nicholls63/saved/1Bhz

It's ~850 once you take out windows 8.

I had originally posted this as a 900-1000 computer, but decided to take out overclocking potential and upped the graphics. This is my first build.

Approximate Purchase Date: one/two days

Budget Range: $850-950, After Rebates/Shipping

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming (Skyrim), maybe Matlab, C++

Do you need to buy OS: Yes

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Doesn't matter, although I live literally across the street from the downtown Toronto Canada Computers.

Parts Preferences: none

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: 1600x1200 (I think; I have a 24 inch SAMSUNG LED)

Additional Comments: I'm not a huge gamer as I do not have time. Games would mostly be single player games such as Skyrim, and maybe some CS. Might also use computer for simulations, therefore good all around performance is what I am looking for. On my laptop data usage is around 120 GB, in other words, I do not need much data storage, so I opted for a sole SSD.

What do you guys think? Should I start ordering parts?
Thanks in advance.

firo40

Splendid
Only suggestion i would make is for you to switch to windows 7 as it dosnt have nearly as many bugs as windows 8. Windows 8 is designed mostly for touch screen based computer. Once they sort this out and optimize windows 8 better its extrememly cheap to upgrade to windows 8 directly from your windows 7 machine

frillybob101

Honorable
Apr 20, 2013
I don't know if in toronto you have microcenters but your store may do the same. I got $40 off the MOBO with a CPU purchase. It looks good however the 660 is a decent card but if you can spare it go to the ti or the 670 it will be worth it in the long run. Or if you want to look at the AMD side with the 7970(LE basicly a 7930) or a 7950 for just a little more.

Let others post here to before you make your buy. I'm an amature.

Zenkor

Honorable
May 15, 2013
I think you will be happy with this build. You might not be able to play every video game on ultra, but you will get good fps on high+. Your limiting factor will be your video card for most games, but this will be such an upgrade from any laptop that it will be ridiculous. I say go ahead an order away! :) Have fun with your first build! In about 2 years throw in a new video card and this thing will probably last you another 1-2 after that.

In your shoes, I would knock the SSD down to 120GB, get a 1TB HDD, and up the graphics card to a Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 XT with Boost. Other than that, everything looks good.