Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Need advice for new PC monitor

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
May 16, 2013 12:16:24 PM

Hi to everyone

I need advice on new PC display.Ive choose to replace my old crt LG f720b with a new and bigger one flat panel.However am a bit out of track when it comes to the newer panels.Also heard a lot of confusing things about IPS&TN panels and theirs response time etc.In order to be short:
Ive found a good deal on Dell UltraSharp U2312HM IPS panel?

My use from most important to least important:

-surfing the web,watching movies and series online
-Ive read a heck out a lot on PC monitor
-moderate gaming
-a little bit of photo editing

Additional information:
My room is oriented eastern,so up until the noon its brightly illuminated.Of course I do not gaming early in the morning,but I do read on the monitor,so its very important to me to have good contrast ratio and be suited for text.

If anyone is using the aforementioned Dell,the feedback will be deeply appreciated.Also,if I should to skip that monitor,Ill will appreciated advice on what next should be looking.

Cheers to everyone,and thanks in advance

More about : advice monitor

a b C Monitor
May 16, 2013 12:25:36 PM

IPS monitors will give you better clarity and wider view angles. They do have slower response times than a TN, but not noticeably slower.

What is your budget? And what country do you live in?
m
0
l
Related resources
May 16, 2013 12:32:45 PM

ksham said:
IPS monitors will give you better clarity and wider view angles. They do have slower response times than a TN, but not noticeably slower.

What is your budget? And what country do you live in?


I live in Macedonia.
My budged 200-250eur.
But here the offer on quality monitors is very limited,just low cost Samsungs,Philips,LG,BenQ,MAG etc.Very rare to find an IPS among them.
m
0
l
a b C Monitor
May 16, 2013 12:37:29 PM

Can you link me to sites you can buy from?
m
0
l
May 16, 2013 12:41:20 PM

ksham said:
Can you link me to sites you can buy from?

Here: http://
and will try to link a few others in a mean time
m
0
l
a b C Monitor
May 16, 2013 1:04:04 PM

Uh.. what currency are listed in those sites? They don't match your euros.
m
0
l
May 16, 2013 1:05:31 PM

ksham said:
Uh.. what currency are listed in those sites? They don't match your euros.

62 denars=1 eur
48 denars=1 dollar
roughly 12000 den=200eur
m
0
l
a b C Monitor
May 16, 2013 1:10:11 PM

Can you just tell me your budget in denars? Probably would be easier to match those numbers.
m
0
l
May 16, 2013 1:11:07 PM

ksham said:
Can you just tell me your budget in denars? Probably would be easier to match those numbers.


12000 to 15000 denars.
And thanks for the help
m
0
l
a b C Monitor
May 16, 2013 1:34:43 PM

You aren't likely to notice the difference. It was the best I found for what you're using it for -- web, video, reading, photo. Depends what games you play, but if you're more leaning toward gaming as well, the one you mentioned in your first post may help better: Dell UltraSharp U2312HM.
m
0
l
May 16, 2013 1:45:29 PM

I want to thanks for the help and time Ive consume you.
Probably will stick to the Dell,mostly because I don't trust in Philips and second for the response time.Hope I wouldn't mistake.
Thanks again.
m
0
l
a b C Monitor
May 16, 2013 1:46:41 PM

ksham said:
You aren't likely to notice the difference. It was the best I found for what you're using it for -- web, video, reading, photo. Depends what games you play, but if you're more leaning toward gaming as well, the one you mentioned in your first post may help better: Dell UltraSharp U2312HM.


I would go towards the Dell Ultrasharp. An earlier comment about it's 8ms response time being a pain is flat wrong. My current and past monitor have been ultrasharps from Dell...and I use them 90% for gaming (SC2, Crysis...etc).
m
0
l
May 16, 2013 1:56:17 PM

toddybody said:
ksham said:
You aren't likely to notice the difference. It was the best I found for what you're using it for -- web, video, reading, photo. Depends what games you play, but if you're more leaning toward gaming as well, the one you mentioned in your first post may help better: Dell UltraSharp U2312HM.


I would go towards the Dell Ultrasharp. An earlier comment about it's 8ms response time being a pain is flat wrong. My current and past monitor have been ultrasharps from Dell...and I use them 90% for gaming (SC2, Crysis...etc).


This shed a light towards my doubt about Dell.And although I play FPS only occasionally,Ive always had some RPG on my repertoire : )

One more questions:how fare Dell when it comes to text/reading?
m
0
l
a b C Monitor
May 16, 2013 2:24:42 PM

All IPS are better then TN in visual quality. So reading will be fine. But really 8ms and 14ms, I'll bet money on it that you won't notice the difference.
m
0
l
May 16, 2013 2:39:41 PM

ksham said:
All IPS are better then TN in visual quality. So reading will be fine. But really 8ms and 14ms, I'll bet money on it that you won't notice the difference.


Well coming from the CRT 85Hz world is the thing that scares me : )
And although personally never used,Ive have seen a lot of LCD's many with awful colors and clarity even on Windows desktop : )
I don't need the best professional grade monitor.Just the bigger one who will be good enough for the smooth transition CRT->LCD.
Hope this clear things a bit
m
0
l
a b C Monitor
May 16, 2013 2:45:11 PM

You don't want LCD. You want LED. Both of the ones listed are LED IPS monitors. Either one will be a huge improvement. You can't go wrong with either one. The Dell one can help out in more modern games. Older games, it doesn't matter one bit. The Philips one, while it has less response time, has great picture quality so if you're reading, watching movies, photo manipulation, etc., it would do well. It may not compete with Dell on gaming, but again, in older games, you won't see a difference here.
m
0
l
May 16, 2013 3:06:10 PM

ksham said:
You don't want LCD. You want LED. Both of the ones listed are LED IPS monitors. Either one will be a huge improvement. You can't go wrong with either one. The Dell one can help out in more modern games. Older games, it doesn't matter one bit. The Philips one, while it has less response time, has great picture quality so if you're reading, watching movies, photo manipulation, etc., it would do well. It may not compete with Dell on gaming, but again, in older games, you won't see a difference here.

I see your point here.But I do play new games Skyrim,FC3,BD,and some older ones.
Just up till now,I doesn't have to worry about:
-response time
-color/tone reproduction
-contrast
And up to 2004,I was in PC building/IT world before I quite and lost a track with LCD technology.
And yes every flat panel is LCD.LED is only for backlight,IPS&TN are matrix tech.Back in the days they were awfull(I know that decade is ancient history in IT).Just hope that after time they are improved a lot.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b C Monitor
May 16, 2013 3:16:40 PM

Sounds like you have it under control. I think we're done here right? :) 
Share
May 16, 2013 3:27:18 PM

ksham said:
Sounds like you have it under control. I think we're done here right? :) 


Yap.Im sure that both of them are good enough as a replace.As a last resort I will try to compare them in the store before buying.
And thanks again for the time : ) I will choose your answer as a best solutions and we may close the thread.
m
0
l
a b C Monitor
May 17, 2013 11:39:04 AM

Vladimir83 said:
toddybody said:
ksham said:
You aren't likely to notice the difference. It was the best I found for what you're using it for -- web, video, reading, photo. Depends what games you play, but if you're more leaning toward gaming as well, the one you mentioned in your first post may help better: Dell UltraSharp U2312HM.


I would go towards the Dell Ultrasharp. An earlier comment about it's 8ms response time being a pain is flat wrong. My current and past monitor have been ultrasharps from Dell...and I use them 90% for gaming (SC2, Crysis...etc).


This shed a light towards my doubt about Dell.And although I play FPS only occasionally,Ive always had some RPG on my repertoire : )

One more questions:how fare Dell when it comes to text/reading?


FWIW, im a stickler about build quality and performance...Dell Utrasharp monitors are a fantastic answer to both points. Yes, they are not 120hz...they dont have the contrast pop like some glossy panels (I actually prefer the light matter finish, as my man cave isnt perfectly dark in the day)...but all around theyre the best.

Text Fine images are great. The only Ultrasharp I wouldnt recommend is the old U2711...it featured a very aggressive anti-glare coating which made some fine details fuzzy. Newer displays have the perfect balance of matte.
m
0
l
!