Old I7 860 2.8ghz, could anybody pretty please recommend me a decent upgrade?

Gregory baker

Honorable
May 17, 2013
Hi lads its my first time posting here since im having a hard time understanding all of today's new processors ect

i have an old I7 860 2.8ghz, 16 giggs of ddr 3 coarsair vengeance and a msi lightening hd6970 and ive noticed recently im having poor performance raiding in wow, Low FPS ect and since my processors is years old im thinking that could be the issue.

Anyway im wounding would anybody mind recommending me some decently priced upgrades, AMD or Intel is fine.

thanks alot lads

/greg

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

Might be worth doing a overclock and better cooler if you want to hold off for the new Haswell CPUs.

Gregory baker

Honorable
May 17, 2013
Thanks lads.

How much of an upgrade from my I7 860 2.8Ghz to a AMD A-Series A10 5700 Black Edition FM2 be? or a Intel Core i3 3220 Ivy Bridge Dual Core be? Would it be a noticeable difference? thanks again.

All those CPUs would actually be downgrades for you. The i3 3220 might be slightly faster in single threaded tasks, but would be slower on any task that can use more than 2 cores. The A10 is a weaker CPU than the i7 860, the only advantage the A10 has is a relatively strong integrated graphics core, but that won't benefit you much as you already have a Radeon HD 6970.

For any significantly better CPU, you're going to need a new motherboard. The LGA 1156 socket died quickly. If you want a new CPU, I would wait for Haswell to come out, and maybe look at the i7 4770k, the i5 4570k would also work if you don't do any heavily threaded tasks. There's no sense in investing in Ivy Bridge at this point, Haswell comes out next month, and LGA 1155, the Sandy/Ivy Bridge socket is on its way out. Ivy Bridge might not also be enough of a jump over Lynnfield to really justify spending the money on the upgrade.

On the AMD side, the only CPUs they have that are comparable or better than what you have would be the FX 6300, 8320, and 8350. Keep in mind that those CPUs will only be a major improvement in heavily threaded workloads, they aren't much better in single threaded workloads than what you have now.