Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Need new GPU poss.ATI 7850/7870 max £200

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
May 17, 2013 8:15:32 AM

Hello Toms!

I need help choosing a new graphics card to buy in the next couple of weeks as my current one seems to have perished after 4 yrs of good service since i bought my system.
My info:

System: Dell XPS 625 alien
OS: Win Vista 32-bit HomePremium
Usage: Gaming, applications (photos, flashplayer movies, docs, music)
Current GPU - 512MB ATI Radeon HD 4670 (deceased)
Current Power Supply - Model: Dell H750E-01, Max Wattage 750W
CPU - AMD Phenom X3 8750+Black Edition (2.4GHz) 95W
Mobo - ??Not sure, serial number is "E139765" which relates to a "Bluford" according to Google
PCIe.2.0 compatible
Memory - 4GB (maxed)
Monitor resolution - current 1024x768, optimum 1280x1024

I was thinking of switching to an Nvidia card such as a GTX 660 or above since I remember games that had known issues running off ATi drivers (ie DragonAge, Rage) but am now warming to ATi cards such as the 7870 or 7850 based off of reviews. For example:

http://www.gpureview.com/superlatives.php

This write up impressed me in particular:
http://www.techradar.com/news/computing-components/grap...
their winner being the MSI HD 7850 1GB which i have my eyes on partly for price.

Space-wise, in one GPU slot 1 I currently have free approx. 23 x 10 x 3.5cm and slot 2: 29 x 10 x 3.5cm

MY mobo is not crossfire capable and I have no intention of going down that route for now. I've never tinkered with overclocking either.


Some questions:
How important is 32-bit/64-bit consideration for me in making a choice of GPU ? ( i have 32-bit)
Do i need to upgrade my CPU ?
Is the only power consideration the max wattage ?
Is my monitor too old ?

I am generally more interested in reliability and longevity than in tinkering and pursuing "ultra graphics" quality in every game.

Thank you for reading, any advise would help.
May 17, 2013 8:30:30 AM

You don't necessarily have to upgrade your CPU but at that resolution and looking at the CPU, buying even something like the GTX 660 would be a complete waste of money. To be honest, you'd be fine with a GTX 650 or even mid-range last gen card like the 560 Ti, but then you might have hard time updating your monitor in the future.

If I'm to be perfectly honest with you; all of your hardware is starting to be at the level where you definitely add can upgrades here and there, but the rest of your components will be so dated that they will just hold the new stuff back. If I were you, I'd start seriously considering just saving up and buying a brand new 64-bit based system.
m
0
l
May 17, 2013 8:52:30 AM

@ TripleFix:
1: 32/64 bit makes no difference here, but it does limit the maximum memory the OS can use-Which I think you already know ;) .
2: It's not the best gaming CPU around, check the Dell site/your documentation for possible upgrades.
3: In this case it's not an issue, that 750 Watter will drive anything you can cram into the case (assuming it has the correct PCI-E power leads).
4: Yes ;) .

If you will stay with the current monitor a GTX650 will be fine and a significant upgrade from the dead 4670.
Even with a larger monitor games are going to be restricted by the CPU but a faster card will be needed to cope with the extra resolution but a HD7790/GTX650Ti should be a good fit.
m
0
l
Related resources
May 17, 2013 10:53:31 AM

Mean time I will look into possibilities of AM3 CPU upgrade, it will take time.
The good news is that your current processor is overclockable in Dell, I know the way.
More will come, need more time.
m
0
l
May 18, 2013 11:52:07 AM

Thank you for the response

I need a new GPU quite urgently as the pc is effectively unusable due to graphical glitches, so I will be making the most of my current system for now (not to mention money...).

The GTX 650Ti / HD 7790 sound good to me, how could I change my stats to be HD 7850 compatible ?

Also, thinking ahead, any advice for a good monitor given my computing habits ? Anything I should avoid ?

What criteria does one follow in looking for a new CPU (I will not be changing the motherboard)
In regard to the above I know I have decent power supply but do I have to keep an eye on power needs for all components ? ie. is it a simple matter of adding up the wattage on each ?

Glad you say my CPU is overclockable - I may do some research on that.

Thanks again, all advice welcome
m
0
l
May 18, 2013 12:24:08 PM

Your system will run anything that will physically fit, It has a PCI-Ex16 slot and plenty of power the only possible problem is that the PSU might only have a single 6-pin PCI-E lead, given its output I would say it has two, but there's no harm in opening the case and making sure.
Do n't worry too much about the PCI-E revision, the older ones are slower, but the type of card we're talking about will suffer little, if any, performance penalty from the 'slow' connection.
Check the Dell site for information on the motherboard, I'm getting both Intel and AMD results from my searches, if you have a service tag it should be fairly simple to get the required information.
For a gaming rig look for the fastest quad-cored CPU the motherboard will support.
Do n't worry about power, there's far more available than you're likely to need, a system like that will draw under 500Watts, with a 7870, at full load, with an overclocked CPU.
m
0
l
May 18, 2013 4:42:41 PM

Your motherboard has AM2 CPU socket. If you want to get a new CPU, you will pretty much have to upgrade the motherboard as well.
m
0
l
May 18, 2013 8:10:41 PM

hizodge said:
Your motherboard has AM2 CPU socket. If you want to get a new CPU, you will pretty much have to upgrade the motherboard as well.


One step at the time. This statement is absolutely correct for Dell application - actually AM3 processors are backward compatible to AM2 boards, however they will run slower. But here we are dealing with Dell, so such trick is not going to work most likely.

I will proceed with more explanation in the next post, gathering more info.
m
0
l
May 18, 2013 9:14:18 PM

Please confirm that you are living in England - I just found on eBay processor for you, seller is in Manchester, so in this case there is no International shipping involved!

Right now I am trying to save you money, and keep you with Dell parts (motherboard, Windows) as much as possible, if you choose new motherboard, you can do whatever!

I found confirmation of AMD Phenom II X2 560 3.3GHz Socket AM3 installed in XPS 625 and working!

Quote:
I listened a bought and i tried....i tried out the AMD PHENOM II BLACK EDITION X2 560 AM3. on the xps 625. it even opened the other 2 cores.


This came from here http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3...

Ebay link http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-in-Box-AMD-Phenom-II-...

This is Black Edition processor, and as such is overclockable! I know how! This is not done in BIOS! Regular overclocking rules do not apply here!

So right now there is a question, should OP upgrade CPU, would it bring serious jump in performance?!
This is already installed AMD Phenom 8750 Triple-Core CPU benchmark is 2071
This is maximum confirmed Phenom II X2 560 benchmark is 2161, however according to above user he was able to unlock 2 more cores, so benchmark would increase.
Now, both processors can be overclocked - so which one is better, performance vs money spent?

Can anyone advice here?

Edit: this is the link to Wiki about all Phenoms http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_Phenom_micropr... just for information
m
0
l
May 18, 2013 9:40:40 PM

let me post here some pictures to assist us in future work, and to puzzle about video card upgrades.

Case open



Another picture about the same



Front and back view, note the fans



And here is the picture of something look interesting



Nere is XPS 625 motherboard
Model:
P927G 0P927G CN0P927G

m
0
l
May 19, 2013 8:45:39 AM

The articles and thread you found were interesting, the photos of the black XPS may as well be of mine (except for another 2GB RAM). They partly reflect the seemingly contradictory views I have seen about the XPS 625: either that it is "expensive" with "low upgradability" or "designed for upgrading" at "good value". In other words: "mid-range alienware".
The Phenom IIx4 940 looks good though it seems not available now.

I do not wish to upgrade to 64-bit for the foreseeable future as I know there are compatability issues with some applications and games and my pc uses are more broad than just gaming.

What exactly is "native" technology ? I presume it means designed for a specific system by an own brand.

Yes, I am in England

Thanks again for your ideas, I am looking to buy a new GPU hopefully this week.
m
0
l
May 19, 2013 9:02:38 AM

TripleFix said:
Hello Toms!

I need help choosing a new graphics card to buy in the next couple of weeks as my current one seems to have perished after 4 yrs of good service since i bought my system.
My info:

System: Dell XPS 625 alien
OS: Win Vista 32-bit HomePremium
Usage: Gaming, applications (photos, flashplayer movies, docs, music)
Current GPU - 512MB ATI Radeon HD 4670 (deceased)
Current Power Supply - Model: Dell H750E-01, Max Wattage 750W
CPU - AMD Phenom X3 8750+Black Edition (2.4GHz) 95W
Mobo - ??Not sure, serial number is "E139765" which relates to a "Bluford" according to Google
PCIe.2.0 compatible
Memory - 4GB (maxed)
Monitor resolution - current 1024x768, optimum 1280x1024

I was thinking of switching to an Nvidia card such as a GTX 660 or above since I remember games that had known issues running off ATi drivers (ie DragonAge, Rage) but am now warming to ATi cards such as the 7870 or 7850 based off of reviews. For example:

http://www.gpureview.com/superlatives.php

This write up impressed me in particular:
http://www.techradar.com/news/computing-components/grap...
their winner being the MSI HD 7850 1GB which i have my eyes on partly for price.

Space-wise, in one GPU slot 1 I currently have free approx. 23 x 10 x 3.5cm and slot 2: 29 x 10 x 3.5cm

MY mobo is not crossfire capable and I have no intention of going down that route for now. I've never tinkered with overclocking either.


Some questions:
How important is 32-bit/64-bit consideration for me in making a choice of GPU ? ( i have 32-bit)
Do i need to upgrade my CPU ?
Is the only power consideration the max wattage ?
Is my monitor too old ?

I am generally more interested in reliability and longevity than in tinkering and pursuing "ultra graphics" quality in every game.

Thank you for reading, any advise would help.

I just recently switched from GTX 660(non-ti) to ATI HD7870 and ATI is a better card so i would suggest go for 7870.
m
0
l
May 19, 2013 10:02:07 AM

TripleFix said:

The Phenom IIx4 940 looks good though it seems not available now.

Yes, I am in England

Thanks again for your ideas, I am looking to buy a new GPU hopefully this week.


http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nk...

It is available, one about to go now as I type 25 minutes left, oh well.
m
0
l
May 19, 2013 10:44:57 AM

England, Eh?
Dabs, Overclockers, Scan, Misco, Aria, Novatech, Ebuyer, Pixmania and CCL. If you have any others, please post 'em here so I can pass on the good news to others, cheers.
Have fun shopping.
m
0
l
May 21, 2013 7:15:44 AM

Have scoured the net for a decent AMD 940 but it will have to wait.

In the meantime I am focused on either the HD 7790/7850/ and mainly on good reasons not to get either one. 7790 and I can start saving for a monitor.

I have 2 x 6-pin plugs for the PSU

Also: 2 x PCI-ex16 slots, 2 x PCI slots, 1 x PCI slot

Thanks
m
0
l
May 31, 2013 3:13:46 AM

Can you post here a link to your new CPU thread, since I probably have the most valuable information on this matter, at least so far here.
This way I would be able to jump in and help.
m
0
l
!