Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

My graphics card is heavy, any solutions to support it?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
May 17, 2013 8:23:25 AM

Hey all,

So I just bought a new MSI 660ti PE/OC. The heatsink and fans are very large and it looks to be sagging down slightly. Do you guys know how I might stop this? Any recommendations on a support bracket?

I have an HAF X case.

Thanks!
a b U Graphics card
May 17, 2013 8:26:44 AM

the haf x should have come with a graphics card support bracket

mine did when i had a haf x
Score
0
a c 191 U Graphics card
May 17, 2013 8:27:01 AM

A paper-towel tube or a piece of scrap wood cut down to size should work pretty well.
Score
0
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
May 17, 2013 8:27:08 AM

There's really no need to support it. I've got the same card and it's been running like a champ in my computer without any support for at least half a year, if not longer.
Score
0

Best solution

a c 89 U Graphics card
May 17, 2013 8:46:30 AM

spiphix said:
Hey all,

So I just bought a new MSI 660ti PE/OC. The heatsink and fans are very large and it looks to be sagging down slightly. Do you guys know how I might stop this? Any recommendations on a support bracket?

I have an HAF X case.

Thanks!


if you don't have the gpu support that comes with the case, a quick and cheap solution would be to use dental floss, to create a suspended "cradle"

I've done it to great success in the past. it's cheap, effective and basically permanent

ThomasJ93 said:
There's really no need to support it. I've got the same card and it's been running like a champ in my computer without any support for at least half a year, if not longer.


I disagree 100%. have you seen how big of a permanent warp you can develop in both your gpu and motherboard? i've seen big gpus sag a full inch after a year without support... at which point things actually start to break down.
Share
a c 127 U Graphics card
May 17, 2013 8:49:32 AM

I like Ingtar's dental floss solution.

You screwed the card into the rear bracket and it still droops? What kind of motherboard are you working with?
Score
0
a c 89 U Graphics card
May 17, 2013 8:53:35 AM

ubercake said:
You screwed the card into the rear bracket and it still droops? What kind of motherboard are you working with?


the longer/heavier gpus will twist and sag even with being properly screwed into the bracket on the case.

not sure that's the case here... but i've seen it with other gpus enough (a 5870 jumps to the front of my mind... that was the most obscene warp i've ever seen, and the card that convinced me to start to use the case supports or lacking those, dental floss cradles).
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
May 17, 2013 8:57:22 AM

sagging would easily be adjusted with a slight pull upwards, see if you can attach a cable tie to the power connecters to something secured above, if any.
Score
0
May 17, 2013 9:19:09 AM

ubercake said:

You screwed the card into the rear bracket and it still droops? What kind of motherboard are you working with?


I'm going to go out on a limb and guess its an Asrock.

Score
0
May 17, 2013 9:22:29 AM

i would go with dental floss as mentioned above it wont obstruct an air flow :)  its not elastic so heat wont stretch it too
Score
0
a c 127 U Graphics card
May 17, 2013 9:23:19 AM

helz IT said:
ubercake said:

You screwed the card into the rear bracket and it still droops? What kind of motherboard are you working with?


I'm going to go out on a limb and guess its an Asrock.



That's what I'm saying. When I've used higher-end motherboards, the cards sit in their firmly in the slots and don't sag. Lower end boards, even lower-end gigabytes have given me sag. That's why I asked about it. I imagine ASrock to be sag city. Not that they won't work, but there's a reason they are value-based boards.

At any rate, a solution is necessary. Dental floss or fishing line would work.
Score
0
May 17, 2013 9:27:13 AM

ubercake said:
helz IT said:
ubercake said:

You screwed the card into the rear bracket and it still droops? What kind of motherboard are you working with?


I'm going to go out on a limb and guess its an Asrock.



That's what I'm saying. When I've used higher-end motherboards, the cards sit in their firmly in the slots and don't sag. Lower end boards, even lower-end gigabytes have given me sag. That's why I asked about it. I imagine ASrock to be sag city. Not that they won't work, but there's a reason they are value-based boards.

At any rate, a solution is necessary. Dental floss or fishing line would work.


I guess that when it will get hot inside fishing line would stretch as is plastic kind of
Score
0
a c 127 U Graphics card
May 17, 2013 9:32:39 AM

Bartq said:
ubercake said:
helz IT said:
ubercake said:

You screwed the card into the rear bracket and it still droops? What kind of motherboard are you working with?


I'm going to go out on a limb and guess its an Asrock.



That's what I'm saying. When I've used higher-end motherboards, the cards sit in their firmly in the slots and don't sag. Lower end boards, even lower-end gigabytes have given me sag. That's why I asked about it. I imagine ASrock to be sag city. Not that they won't work, but there's a reason they are value-based boards.

At any rate, a solution is necessary. Dental floss or fishing line would work.


I guess that when it will get hot inside fishing line would stretch as is plastic kind of


Yeah you definitely don't want to hook it under any part of the card that gets really hot.
Score
0
May 17, 2013 10:15:00 AM

This is a different solution.

Get a closed loop watercooler H60 or newer H55. Take heatsink off your card. Attach watercooler to GPU directly using zip-ties or self-made bracket. This would solve two things: card would be stabilized by both back-plate of case and watercooler itself and give you considerable ability to OC it even futher.

The problem of card is its weight, since heatsink is quite heavy. The problem is similar to putting very big and heavy heatsinks for CPU, supported by motherboard. The solution is to remove weight, since further movement of case (lifting up/moving across room) will either attempt to destroy your connection on motherboard or cripple it. Also, support bracket can go only so far as to minimize overall effect of weight, which is what you're seeking, but will not completely eliminate movement of the card in the slot.
Score
0
May 17, 2013 3:43:09 PM

ubercake said:
I like Ingtar's dental floss solution.

You screwed the card into the rear bracket and it still droops? What kind of motherboard are you working with?


It's screwed in with 2 screws, but at the other end it seems to droop. Not hugely, but like Ingtar said, I don't want to get to the point in a year or so's time where my graphics card is permanently warped and i'll have to buy a new one with only a year or so's use.

The MOBO is a MSI P55A-G55
Score
0
May 17, 2013 3:48:30 PM

Thanks guys, I'll try out the floss-solution and see how it goes.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
May 17, 2013 4:32:41 PM

Warning this is a redneck suggestion:
Step one: go outside and find a stick 'bout the right length.
Two: cut it to fit under card.
Three: place under card like a piller
:D 
Score
0
!