Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Is a Phenom II x965 Black and a HD 7790 compatible with this mobo?

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
May 17, 2013 1:20:09 PM

A Pegatron M2N68-LA.

These are the specs:
Manufacturer: Pegatron
Form factor: microATX - 24.4 cm (9.6 inches) x 24.4 cm (9.6 inches)
Chipset: NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
Memory sockets: 2 x DDR2
Front side bus speeds: 2000MT/s (2.0 GT/s)
Processor socket: AM2+
Expansion Slots:
1 PCI Express x16 slot for graphics card
2 PCI Express x1 slots
1 PCI slot

I know it's crappy, but it's what I have to work with right now.

And, will the phenom bottleneck the 7790?

Here they are:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Thanks!
a b V Motherboard
May 17, 2013 1:32:30 PM

yea although ur cpu has a different socket, i think it is backwards compatible so you are good. Also no bottleneck they should work well together.

you might have to do a BIOS update tho
m
0
l
May 17, 2013 1:35:36 PM

Azn Cracker said:
yea although ur cpu has a different socket, i think it is backwards compatible so you are good. Also no bottleneck they should work well together.

you might have to do a BIOS update tho


Thanks! That really helps. Do you think this will be a good psu for this?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
May 17, 2013 1:41:18 PM

obviously you can't put a 125W CPU in a board rated for 95W.
m
0
l
May 17, 2013 1:43:43 PM

unksol said:
obviously you can't put a 125W CPU in a board rated for 95W.


sorry, i'm new to this stuff... is there a good 95w CPU for around the same price?
m
0
l
a c 98 V Motherboard
May 17, 2013 1:49:33 PM

The answeres are yes and yes with reservations.

The Phenom is listed as a drop in upgrade, but there have been reports of bios problems and unsupported cpu with the 965. If you are using the m/b from an HP/Compaq, I think you may have some problems finding an updated bios. The most recent I could find is from 2009 (here). Just be sure of which model of the Pegatron M2N68-LA you have as there are several versions.

The 7790 will run in your pcie slot PROVIDED your psu from hp has the required 6 pin connector. If not, you would need to use the molex to 6pin adapter that comes with the card, and frankly, I think your psu would be an issue with any card requiring auxiliary power. In the case of the 7790, it's only a few watts, but your psu is marginal. Check into a 400-500w supply from a solid maker like corsair, seasonic or antec. Be prepared to pay $60+ - get one that is at least bronze certified.

Mark
m
0
l
May 17, 2013 1:57:43 PM

markwp said:
The answeres are yes and yes with reservations.

The Phenom is listed as a drop in upgrade, but there have been reports of bios problems and unsupported cpu with the 965. If you are using the m/b from an HP/Compaq, I think you may have some problems finding an updated bios. The most recent I could find is from 2009 (here). Just be sure of which model of the Pegatron M2N68-LA you have as there are several versions.

The 7790 will run in your pcie slot PROVIDED your psu from hp has the required 6 pin connector. If not, you would need to use the molex to 6pin adapter that comes with the card, and frankly, I think your psu would be an issue with any card requiring auxiliary power. In the case of the 7790, it's only a few watts, but your psu is marginal. Check into a 400-500w supply from a solid maker like corsair, seasonic or antec. Be prepared to pay $60+ - get one that is at least bronze certified.

Mark


This is the PSU I was thinking about
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And, is what unksol said right? Because you guys said that it would work but he said it wouldn't... If he is right will underclocking the processor a little bit decrease the voltage?

Oh, and I am using the mobo from a Compaq
m
0
l

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
May 17, 2013 2:00:45 PM

the phenom is listed as a drop in upgrade but only the 95W ones. And there's not going to be any overclocking on that board anyway, or ways to undervolt it. The athlon II x4 newegg has is 95W and cheaper anyway. Or he can scour the Web for a 95W phenom 2. None coming up for me.
Share
May 17, 2013 2:04:36 PM

unksol said:
the phenom is listed as a drop in upgrade but only the 95W ones. And there's not going to be any overclocking on that board anyway, or ways to undervolt it. The athlon II x4 newegg has is 95W and cheaper anyway. Or he can scour the Web for a 95W phenom 2. None coming up for me.


How does the x4 compare to the x965?
m
0
l
a c 98 V Motherboard
May 17, 2013 2:05:37 PM

That psu will be fine, and yes, unksol is correct that your m/b is 95w TDP. The athlon II x4 would be the best bet, but understand you will NOT be able to overclock on that board as the bios will be locked down by hp/compaq.
m
0
l
May 17, 2013 2:09:32 PM

Will the x4 bottleneck the 7790 at all?
m
0
l
a c 98 V Motherboard
May 17, 2013 2:23:46 PM

It will certainly bottleneck the stock cpu, but the x4 should be ok, even at stock speeds.
m
0
l
May 17, 2013 2:29:59 PM

markwp said:
It will certainly bottleneck the stock cpu, but the x4 should be ok, even at stock speeds.


alright, thanks! I'm gonna get those two, a stick of 2GB RAM, and the psu I suggested, and then later on I'll get a better mobo, cpu and possibly get another 7790.

Thanks for all your help guys!
m
0
l
!