7870 GPU overheating at max load

Eduardo Jimenez

Honorable
May 17, 2013
I overclocked my Sapphire 7870 from 1050Mhz to 1200Mhz, ran the fan at 70% speed, and averaged about 72C at max load. I installed a liquid cooling loop, which did OK at first, averaging about 44C at max load (still OC'd at max load). After a while, I started playing a game and my GPU 'crashed', or went into 'low-power' mode where it stayed at 150Mhz. After that my GPU ran at 42C idle. Today I added a CPU cooler to the loop and booted it up. The max load temp now rises to 100+C. What could be the problem? The only things I can think of is somehow 'breaking' the thermal paste (it was a 'stock' white paste that came in a little baggy with the waterblock), or the waterblock not being properly attached to the chip.
More info:
Waterblock: Koolance GPU-210
GPU: Sapphire 7870 1Ghz
Pump: Koolance PMP-985
Radiator: Koolance 2x120mm 30FPI Copper

Well I would get some quality TIM and clean the old stuff of of your heatsink and GPU CPU and then reset both just to make sure. I am not sure a single 240mm rad is adequate for the GPU and CPU but since you did not state what CPU you are running I can not say for sure. But personally cooling the GPU and CPU I would have used a 360mm rad to cool both of them.

Do you have heatsinks on your VRM and memory chips on the GPU? When using a universal heatsink on a GPU you need to add heatsinks to those to keep them cool.