Solved

Home built gamming rig

Do I need the sound card for this system? Also if any of you know where I could improve the cost/preformance ratio please feel free to critique my choices, its my first try :]

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Anema/saved/1BXk
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about home built gamming rig
  1. are you going to overclock your cpu or not?

    and you can cut back on the PSU. never going to need that much unless you're gonna run SLI of GTX 680s lol

    and there's cheaper memory too (corsair has 2x 8GB for $100) and since it's only dual channel, 4 sticks of ram won't perform much better than 2.

    and you can probably get a better cooler.

    and you don't have storage on there (SSD/HDD)

    And you do not need a sound card.
  2. I plan to
  3. oh wow, i didnt see the second half, what would you suggest then... I am super new at this :'[
  4. RoboThompson said:
    oh wow, i didnt see the second half, what would you suggest then... I am super new at this :'[


    haha. sorry. i got a bad habit of editing my posts and adding more stuff instead of doing a new post.

    and do you need a OS? or you got one already. (edit: just saw the os in your build lol)

    and what monitor/resolution do you have now?
  5. killerhurtalot said:
    RoboThompson said:
    oh wow, i didnt see the second half, what would you suggest then... I am super new at this :'[


    haha. sorry. i got a bad habit of editing my posts and adding more stuff instead of doing a new post.

    and do you need a OS? or you got one already. (edit: just saw the os in your build lol)

    and what monitor/resolution do you have now?


    And I need to buy an OS sense I dont think i have another copy of windows 7
    , do you have a better suggestion for an OS or is it just weird to put it in the build lol
  6. I downgraded the PSU and upgraded the cooling system like you suggested. Any other cirtiques?

    http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Anema/saved/1BXk
  7. Best answer
    RoboThompson said:
    killerhurtalot said:
    RoboThompson said:
    oh wow, i didnt see the second half, what would you suggest then... I am super new at this :'[


    haha. sorry. i got a bad habit of editing my posts and adding more stuff instead of doing a new post.

    and do you need a OS? or you got one already. (edit: just saw the os in your build lol)

    and what monitor/resolution do you have now?


    And I need to buy an OS sense I dont think i have another copy of windows 7
    , do you have a better suggestion for an OS or is it just weird to put it in the build lol


    ya. my bad. i didn't look through the entire list until i started redoing everything in them.


    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($169.99 @ Microcenter)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($124.99 @ Microcenter)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($99.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($89.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($322.98 @ Newegg)
    Wireless Network Adapter: Asus USB-N66 802.11a/b/g/n USB 2.0 Wi-Fi Adapter ($44.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Corsair 550D ATX Mid Tower Case ($129.98 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($65.98 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: LG GH24LS70 DVD/CD Writer ($34.99 @ Best Buy)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.94 @ Outlet PC)
    Total: $1268.78
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-05-17 23:31 EDT-0400)

    Others can comment on this.

    I:
    put in a way better GPU.
    replaced it with a slightly better cpu cooler
    Got a cheaper motherboard (he probably didn't need the extra features on the other one...)
    made the ram cheaper
    got rid of the sound card (although i think it's a good investment if you like listening to music)
    downgraded the PSU (but got a better brand IMO)
    Added in a SSD and a HDD (so he can actually install his OS and programs lol)

    Oh ya. I really think you should post another thread in roughly 2 weeks since the new Nvidia 7 series GPUs are coming out and also the new intel hanswell CPUs are coming out on june 1st too.
  8. thanks alot for your help man
  9. RoboThompson said:
    thanks alot for your help man


    but ya. seriously... i would wait 2 weeks and see what the new gpu and cpu reviews are and how the prices change.
  10. I will, I just started planning it out, it will be a bit before i actually buy everything
Ask a new question

Read More

Home built Sound Cards Components