Solved

replacement CPU fan

I'm looking for a replacement CPU fan for my i7-2700k processor, the stock fan it came with isn't actually staying connected to the motherboard very well (has those dumb plastic screws) I've re-applied thermal paste multiple times and I just gave up on it, and its cooling job isn't very efficient either. I'm looking at others currently however I would like some extra insight, this desktop is for gaming, low noise is nice but cooling is better. No liquid don't trust the thing.


Socket 1155
16cm or 160mm (Distance from Motherboard to side of case)

If we require more information let me know and it will be posted
13 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about replacement cpu fan
  1. first tell me which cabinet you are using.
    And what is your bugdet for the cooler.
  2. Try this
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608019

    Noctua NH-C12P SE14 140mm SSO CPU Cooler
    Spendy but it meets your requirement on being quiet and cooling better than stock.
  3. fixer762 said:
    Try this
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608019

    Noctua NH-C12P SE14 140mm SSO CPU Cooler
    Spendy but it meets your requirement on being quiet and cooling better than stock.


    He might as well as get a CM 212 EVO... the extra cooling from the noctua will get him maybe a extra 200mhz of overclock...
  4. Sorry for late reply, helping family open up their pool lately. May I ask what a cabinet is? Budget is $140 max However there is only one fan in the case helping to circulate airflow to the CPU fan. I would like to make sure that this fan people suggest would work good under this condition. If not so, what case and fan combo should I go with? Also thanks for the suggestions so far :)
    Also are those fans you guys suggested rotatable? I've never used aftermarkets before and I need clearance for a video card.
  5. I recently installed the Cooler Master 212 Evo and can't recommend it enough. Quiet and cheap, with very low temperatures. By cabinet, we're referring to the computer case you're going to be putting it into - coolers such as the 212 Evo are wide pieces of hardware (the fan is installed on it's side, rather than fitted flatly directly over the CPU, so it needs a reasonable amount of clearance) that need enough space to install - my case, for instance, is the Corsair Carbide 300R and the cooler fits into the case, but it's a snug fit.
  6. I have 160mm of clearance from motherboard to the side of the case, are aftermarket CPU fans rotatable like I could put it in facing North or East? Or does it always get screwed in facing an orientation?
  7. Plese Give me your full PC specs.I think you need to change your Cabinet as it only have one fan and you are using an Intel i7-2700k that is a very hot piece.
  8. Assassination said:
    Plese Give me your full PC specs.I think you need to change your Cabinet as it only have one fan and you are using an Intel i7-2700k that is a very hot piece.


    It's fine..... At work, we got a 3770 in a mini itx tower chasses with a stock cpu cooler and one small exhaust in the back.....

    the sand bridge/ivy bridge is fine up to 90c+....
  9. Get this cabinet
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119256
    Its best in its price for cooling but you have add 4 fans on yours.It has 5 Fans Capicity(1 is included Front)
    And for the Cpu cooler get this one
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118138
    This will do the job.
  10. Assassination said:
    Get this cabinet
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119256
    Its best in its price for cooling but you have add 4 fans on yours.It has 5 Fans Capicity(1 is included Front)
    And for the Cpu cooler get this one
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118138
    This will do the job.



    overkill. he's not even overclocking..... and he definitely doesn't need a new case especially if he's got 160mm clearance from the motherboard to the side panel
  11. mickey_0728_ said:
    I have 160mm of clearance from motherboard to the side of the case, are aftermarket CPU fans rotatable like I could put it in facing North or East? Or does it always get screwed in facing an orientation?


    it's rotatable. (depending on how you put the bracket in)

    I always have it facing east with a blow configuration driving the air towards the back.
  12. Thanks for the support so far,
    So which should I select?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099&Tpk=hyper%20212%20evo&IsVirtualParent=1
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118138
    Others?
    Also what would be good temps? Right now I have idle 40ish and load 60-80 (Keep in mind I gave up on the heat sink holding itself to the board, so the whole computer is sideways except for the hard drive of course)
  13. Best answer
    Quote:
    Quote:
    Assassination said:
    Get this cabinen
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
    Its best in its price for cooling but you have add 4 fans on yours.It has 5 Fans Capicity(1 is included Front)
    And for the Cpu cooler get this one
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
    This will do the job.



    Quote:
    killerhurtalot said:
    overkill. he's not even overclocking..... and he definitely doesn't need a new case especially if he's got 160mm clearance from the motherboard to the side panel


    Its not an overkill the person is having a i7 2700k processor which is an unlocked then so he have the potential to overclock it why would he not do overclocking and he has the budget of $140.
    I am telling him the best option available in that budget and keeping a CPU cool as much as possible is a good thing.


    Quote:
    mickey_0728_ said:
    Thanks for the support so far,
    So which should I select?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
    Others?
    Also what would be good temps? Right now I have idle 40ish and load 60-80 (Keep in mind I gave up on the heat sink holding itself to the board, so the whole computer is sideways except for the hard drive of course)



    The Zalman one's is the best choice.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Motherboards