Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Newly-built PC, browsers are very unreliable while everything else works fine

Last response: in Systems
Share
May 18, 2013 8:15:47 AM

Specs are as follows:
CPU: AMD FX-8350 with stock cooling
Mobo: Asus M5 A97 R2.0
RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance
GPU: XFX Radeon HD 7950
Storage: Seagate 1TB HDD
PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 620W
OS: Windows 8 64-bit

I can provide any other specifics if asked.

So my problem is, about 50-70% of the time, when I power on my PC, my browsers (all of them) will just refuse to work. With Chrome (my main browser), I just get a blank white loading screen which never ends (Chrome doesn't even load my web apps such as Google Drive and Music), whereas Internet Explorer instantly crashes when I start it. Firefox works until I try to do anything other than google search, (eg, go on the BBC website) and then becomes unresponsive and crashes. I know for a fact that the problem isn't my internet connection because other programs such as Steam, Spotify and iTunes connect to the internet no problem and are completely usable, ergo, all internet connected programs are fine except browsers. The problem persists until I reset my PC, so the only way to fix it is for me to reset (sometimes 5 or 6 times) until the browsers work again.

Some specifics I've noticed about the problem are:

I can predict when the problem is going to occur, because the computer is sometimes very slow to get started after I log in. Icons on the taskbar take a while to load in, programs take a while to start, the mouse is sluggish etc. If this slowness occurs, then it's a sign the browsers won't work. However, whenever the computer boots up really fast, it means all is good and sure enough, the browsers are fine in this situation.

One other specific that I discovered last night is that if I pause Netflix in Chrome for more than 10 seconds or so, it crashes and from that point onwards the problem comes back and like before can only be fixed by resetting. This is interesting because until now the problem only manifested at power on - it either happened or it didn't. However I know it isn't Microsoft Silverlight causing the problem as I only installed it last night and I've been having this problem for several weeks. Also, the Windows 8 Metro Netflix app works fine.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Chrome and Firefox, it made no difference. I was also advised on another site to change my DNS addresses but this had no effect. I have tried ipconfig/purgedns in the command prompt, this also did nothing.

My best idea is that there is some kind of plugin or program on my pc that is affecting my browsers in some way. I don't think it's an issue with my connection because the browsers aren't just not finding a page, they're actually crashing. However I'm stumped as to what this program could be, as this problem started very soon after I built the PC.

Any help would be appreciated! I only built this PC a month ago so I'd really like to fix this issue. Also I'm new to Tom's Hardware so if I've posted in the wrong section of the forum please tell me and I'll repost somewhere else.
May 18, 2013 8:59:05 AM

Try disabling all startup processes and see if the issue goes away. Then you can try to isolate which process if causing the hang up.
m
0
l
May 18, 2013 10:12:09 AM

ryanrich83 said:
Try disabling all startup processes and see if the issue goes away. Then you can try to isolate which process if causing the hang up.


This is my startup process screen: http://i.imgur.com/XTTJZf5.png

Anything in particular that could be causing problems or should I just disable them one by one?

EDIT: I disabled AllChars (my keyboard enhancer) and I think it may have solved the problem!
m
0
l
Related resources
May 18, 2013 10:55:35 AM

I can't pull up your image at my work.

Hope that was the one causing the problem. If not you can disable all of them, then activate them 1 at a time to see which one is the culprit.
m
0
l
May 18, 2013 11:20:52 AM

ryanrich83 said:
I can't pull up your image at my work.

Hope that was the one causing the problem. If not you can disable all of them, then activate them 1 at a time to see which one is the culprit.


Yeah I'm almost certain it was the cause as I've had no problems at all since disabling and uninstalling it. I've found an alternative for typing in French and Spanish as well. Thanks for all your help!
m
0
l
!