Sign in with
Your question

Best 7950 variant to over clock with stock cooler?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 18, 2013 3:53:46 PM

Hi guys, I think I have decided on getting a 7950 for my first build unless the 700 series at the end of the month is particularly good for the money.

That being said I cannot decide/find the best 7950, i have looked at a few discussions and benchmarks and the Sapphire vapor x seems to be a good one. My problem is there are alot of variations on the vapor x alone such as the 950mhz etc so I was wondering what the best of the lot was for about £250. Thanks
May 18, 2013 4:43:09 PM

Vapor-X is one of the best, Just get the model with the highest clocks for your budget
m
l
May 18, 2013 4:50:27 PM

I went Vapor-X and have not regretted it for a second. The "Lethal Boost" button was great for a simple OC and the stock BIOS allowed me to get a decent OC on the card. Performance has been stellar.
m
l
Related resources
May 19, 2013 3:53:16 AM

Thanks for the replies guys, I was wondering about the vapor x as some people report they cannot over clock theirs or that they are voltage locked.

I would be very grateful if you could link me to the vapor x variant that is good for over clocking - maybe even the cards that you guys have as they sound good - as it is quite hard to search on the iPad I have to use because my laptop has finally died after 6 years
m
l
May 20, 2013 4:17:29 AM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Mine came in, as did many before me, needing two 8 pins instead of a 6 pin and an 8 pin. The "Lethal Boost" BIOS, aka the "press the button, easy overclock", is voltage locked. However, the normal BIOS is not and I was able to get a stable 1150 core and 1300 memory after a little tinkering ... will probably shoot for higher when I have more time.
m
l
May 20, 2013 12:31:13 PM

Thanks for all the responses, however I have gotten quite lucky and got a 7970 for £260 which I think is very cheap for England :) 
m
l
!