Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Intel DZ77RE-75K Memory choice / help Needed

Last response: in Memory
Share
May 19, 2013 12:44:08 PM

Hi There, I am just about to build my new system around this Mobo which is a Z77 chipset, Latest Bios I believe is 0064 with an i7-3770K 3.5 Gig Ivy bridge. I would like to run it on corsair Dominator Memory as it is the best, I would like to install 16 Gig @ 1600 MHz in a matched pair of 8 Gig each or 4 x 4 Gig sticks, However when I used the memory finder on the corsair site it always shows that on the latest Dominator range that the Z77 chipset is not supported when you look at the specs of it. So can you please then let me know just what is the right memory for this Mobo, I plan to OC a little and what is the best set up to run it on, two sticks of 8 Gig or 4 sticks of 4 Gig make and model numbers please, and any other help or advice that you can give me, I have built a few systems in my time but this is my first build under the Z77 chipset, i7-3770k and DDR3 Memory.

Thank you :wahoo: 

Best solution

a b } Memory
July 7, 2013 8:25:27 PM

First of all, that motherboard is kind of overkill :p  Second of all, the Dominator RAM is very overpriced. I recommend grabbing Corsair Vengeance LP RAM @ 1866 MHz, as that is probably as high as you will need. However, if you are set on the Dominator, your motherboard supports up to 2400 MHz RAM, so any model of Dominator that is at or below that speed will work just fine.
In terms of physical orientation, get it in 2x8GB so that if you ever decide that you need more RAM, you an easily just throw in a couple more sticks as opposed to having to replace the whole set. 4x4GB is only worth it with quad-channel RAM, which is only available in the X79 chipset. :) 
Share
a c 1987 } Memory
July 7, 2013 8:40:40 PM

I'd pass on the Intel mobo - Intel doesn't put anything into their mobos as far as support for OCing or high freq DRAM - look to ASRock, Asus or GigaByte, I myself won't build on MSI but would even recommend their mobos before Intel's

Also don't go with a 4x4GB set of DRAM for 16GB - go with 2x8GB (less stress on the MC with only 2 sticks and slightly better throughput. For DRAM I'd look at GSkill in 1866 or 2133, prob Trident or Snipers
m
0
l
Related resources
a b } Memory
July 7, 2013 8:44:38 PM

Tradesman1 said:
I'd pass on the Intel mobo - Intel doesn't put anything into their mobos as far as support for OCing or high freq DRAM - look to ASRock, Asus or GigaByte, I myself won't build on MSI but would even recommend their mobos before Intel's

Also don't go with a 4x4GB set of DRAM for 16GB - go with 2x8GB (less stress on the MC with only 2 sticks and slightly better throughput. For DRAM I'd look at GSkill in 1866 or 2133, prob Trident or Snipers


Agreed; it seemed to me as though OP had already purchased the motherboard, but I am most likely mistaken. Are either of those RAMs low-profile? Just curious.
m
0
l
a c 1987 } Memory
July 7, 2013 8:52:48 PM

Sniper isn't really, the Tridents are tall, but the top fin is removable if need be (a small screw at either end, and the fin slides off, makes them ultra low, and still have good heat dissipation
m
0
l
a b } Memory
July 7, 2013 8:56:09 PM

Tradesman1 said:
Sniper isn't really, the Tridents are tall, but the top fin is removable if need be (a small screw at either end, and the fin slides off, makes them ultra low, and still have good heat dissipation


Okay. Just because I always like to have LP RAM on a regular-ATX build, just to make sure that any cooler that the OP wants will fit.
I'm sure you know this though. I trust most anything you say, so to the OP; get either of the RAM he stated, perhaps the Tridents due to the fact that they can become LP RAM if needed.
m
0
l
a c 1987 } Memory
July 7, 2013 9:01:51 PM

No problem ;)  Keep cooking DannyBoy!
m
0
l
a b } Memory
July 7, 2013 9:03:23 PM

Tradesman1 said:
No problem ;)  Keep cooking DannyBoy!


You too man! ;) 
m
0
l
July 9, 2013 1:53:49 PM

dannyboy2233 said:
First of all, that motherboard is kind of overkill :p  Second of all, the Dominator RAM is very overpriced. I recommend grabbing Corsair Vengeance LP RAM @ 1866 MHz, as that is probably as high as you will need. However, if you are set on the Dominator, your motherboard supports up to 2400 MHz RAM, so any model of Dominator that is at or below that speed will work just fine.
In terms of physical orientation, get it in 2x8GB so that if you ever decide that you need more RAM, you an easily just throw in a couple more sticks as opposed to having to replace the whole set. 4x4GB is only worth it with quad-channel RAM, which is only available in the X79 chipset. :) 


m
0
l
July 9, 2013 1:58:58 PM

dannyboy2233 said:
First of all, that motherboard is kind of overkill :p  Second of all, the Dominator RAM is very overpriced. I recommend grabbing Corsair Vengeance LP RAM @ 1866 MHz, as that is probably as high as you will need. However, if you are set on the Dominator, your motherboard supports up to 2400 MHz RAM, so any model of Dominator that is at or below that speed will work just fine.
In terms of physical orientation, get it in 2x8GB so that if you ever decide that you need more RAM, you an easily just throw in a couple more sticks as opposed to having to replace the whole set. 4x4GB is only worth it with quad-channel RAM, which is only available in the X79 chipset. :) 


m
0
l
July 9, 2013 2:20:29 PM

Hi Dannyboy2233, thanks for your post, you have raised some good points, I am planning to build up my new system next week, just waiting for a few bits to arrive. My pc build is for gaming only, I have built many gaming pc before, but never on this chipset type, I have tried every make of Mobo under the sun in the past, but I have always returned to Intel which I find are the best, I have had quite a few bad experiences with the likes of Asus, I have a second pc / Laptop for my general stuff. I have changed my memory to what you suggested the Vengeance type. I am going to put in 2 Samsung 840 256 Gb SSD in raid 0 for my boot / O/S, as the latest Intel storage drivers will give you Trim and Garbage collection built into the Intel Driver, hence this is why I chose the Intel board again, on the other 4 SATA 2 ports I will put 4 500 Gb WD raptors in raid 0 + 1 for storage and game apps Etc. Let’s hope it all works.
m
0
l
July 9, 2013 2:27:50 PM

Tradesman1 said:
I'd pass on the Intel mobo - Intel doesn't put anything into their mobos as far as support for OCing or high freq DRAM - look to ASRock, Asus or GigaByte, I myself won't build on MSI but would even recommend their mobos before Intel's

Also don't go with a 4x4GB set of DRAM for 16GB - go with 2x8GB (less stress on the MC with only 2 sticks and slightly better throughput. For DRAM I'd look at GSkill in 1866 or 2133, prob Trident or Snipers


m
0
l
July 9, 2013 2:31:09 PM

Hi Tradesman 1, thanks for your post, you have raised some good points, I am planning to build up my new system next week, just waiting for a few bits to arrive. My pc build is for gaming only, I have built many gaming pc before, but never on this chipset type, I have tried every make of Mobo under the sun in the past, but I have always returned to Intel which I find are the best, I have had quite a few bad experiences with the likes of Asus, I have a second pc / Laptop for my general stuff. I have changed my memory to what you suggested the Vengeance type. I am going to put in 2 Samsung 840 256 Gb SSD in raid 0 for my boot / O/S, as the latest Intel storage drivers will give you Trim and Garbage collection built into the Intel Driver, hence this is why I chose the Intel board again, on the other 4 SATA 2 ports I will put 4 500 Gb WD raptors in raid 0 + 1 for storage and game apps Etc, Cross fire and the likes, Let’s hope it all works.
m
0
l
a c 1987 } Memory
July 9, 2013 2:36:45 PM

Looks sweet, will be waiting to hear ;)  Especially love the SSD RAID and know you will, started doing that in 08, and am still running one from late 09, a pair of 120GB GSkill Snipers, set it up with the Intel RAID drivers so I can basically just take it and stick it in any rig with the Intel RAID support and be up and running for testing, troubleshooting etc
m
0
l
a b } Memory
July 9, 2013 4:00:47 PM

Tradesman1 said:
Looks sweet, will be waiting to hear ;)  Especially love the SSD RAID and know you will, started doing that in 08, and am still running one from late 09, a pair of 120GB GSkill Snipers, set it up with the Intel RAID drivers so I can basically just take it and stick it in any rig with the Intel RAID support and be up and running for testing, troubleshooting etc


Speaking of which, I've got a bit of a (slightly unrelated) question; do you recommend doing RAID 0 with cheaper SSDs (like 840 Series or SanDisk Ultra Plus), or a single 840 Pro Series/OCZ Vector?
Obviously the former is more expensive, but which one would you recommend?
m
0
l
a c 1987 } Memory
July 9, 2013 4:25:32 PM

Are you asking in a RAID, or a RAID against a stand alone more expensive SSD....As far as costs goes that falls onto the client or user, what one wants to or can spend....there's lots of brands and a wide size/price range, for clients or folks on the forums I try to only suggest ones I know that are reliable, for me I'll experiment to try different ones or if I get a rig in for repair on something or for an upgrade of even say a video card, if they have an SSD i'll check it out to see what I think...but unless it's a factor that has to be accounted for, the price of one going into a RAID doesn't matter, I've used low price and high price....(speed is just sort of a thing with me), the one I sort of have available that I might take with me is a pair of SATA II GSkill Snipers (no longer in production) that I've had for about 2.5 years or so...Individually slow compared to the newer SATA IIIs but the RAID is faster, newer SATA III RAIDS are even faster....big thing is have a backup schedule, the SSDs are no different than platter drives in RAID, or regular single drives, they can always fail
m
0
l
a b } Memory
July 9, 2013 10:02:40 PM

Tradesman1 said:
Are you asking in a RAID, or a RAID against a stand alone more expensive SSD....As far as costs goes that falls onto the client or user, what one wants to or can spend....there's lots of brands and a wide size/price range, for clients or folks on the forums I try to only suggest ones I know that are reliable, for me I'll experiment to try different ones or if I get a rig in for repair on something or for an upgrade of even say a video card, if they have an SSD i'll check it out to see what I think...but unless it's a factor that has to be accounted for, the price of one going into a RAID doesn't matter, I've used low price and high price....(speed is just sort of a thing with me), the one I sort of have available that I might take with me is a pair of SATA II GSkill Snipers (no longer in production) that I've had for about 2.5 years or so...Individually slow compared to the newer SATA IIIs but the RAID is faster, newer SATA III RAIDS are even faster....big thing is have a backup schedule, the SSDs are no different than platter drives in RAID, or regular single drives, they can always fail


Hmmm... Thanks for the help!
So what would you (personally) say is a better choice; getting a single high-end 256GB SSD (like the 840 Pro Series), or getting two lower-end SSDs (like the 840 Series, others of that price or lower) to have in RAID 0?
What sort of speed difference would be seen?
Again, thanks so much for the help.
m
0
l
a c 1987 } Memory
July 9, 2013 10:17:17 PM

With the Sniper RAID they were rated at up 285 read/275 Write as singles and under ATTO they run just under 500MB

__________

Arrrrr! was going to post a image of the ATTO results, but will have to figure out how to do it here, used to over at GSkill, I can just upload from my desktop there
m
0
l
a b } Memory
July 9, 2013 10:19:03 PM

Tradesman1 said:
With the Sniper RAID they were rated at up 285 read/275 Write as singles and under ATTO they run just under 500MB


Wow... So it nearly actually doubles. That's insane. So with two low-level SSDs in RAID 0 I'd destroy as single high-level SSD of the same capacity.
Thank you so much for your help (once again) tradesman. I'm glad we've got you here ;) 
m
0
l
a c 1987 } Memory
July 9, 2013 10:22:36 PM

dannyboy2233 said:
Tradesman1 said:
With the Sniper RAID they were rated at up 285 read/275 Write as singles and under ATTO they run just under 500MB


Wow... So it nearly actually doubles. That's insane. So with two low-level SSDs in RAID 0 I'd destroy as single high-level SSD of the same capacity.
Thank you so much for your help (once again) tradesman. I'm glad we've got you here ;) 

_______________

Obviously mileage may vary, also want to optimize the RAID, most I've done haven't been quite this good, but that's one reason I hang on to this and often take it with me

m
0
l
July 11, 2013 12:05:23 PM

Tradesman1 said:
Looks sweet, will be waiting to hear ;)  Especially love the SSD RAID and know you will, started doing that in 08, and am still running one from late 09, a pair of 120GB GSkill Snipers, set it up with the Intel RAID drivers so I can basically just take it and stick it in any rig with the Intel RAID support and be up and running for testing, troubleshooting etc


m
0
l
a c 1987 } Memory
July 11, 2013 12:16:53 PM

Danny and I will be waiting to hear how it goes, any problems, we are here for you
m
0
l
July 11, 2013 12:33:44 PM

Hi there Tradesman 1, just looking for some help on the raid set up if you can help me, I have built lots of raid systems but this is my first time using SSD drives, read an article on Anand Tech to get the basics of how to do it and what performance boosts you can achieve, however as good as the article was, it left out some major info. I know I need the Latest Intel raid Drivers to support the raid Trim etc. on Samsung 840 pro in raid 0, what I don’t know is this. 1, do you need to install the Intel Raid driver Floppy at F6 stage of OS install which will be Win 7 Pro 64 ultimate? Or do you just use the native Microsoft one? 2, I know the latest Intel drivers support Trim and Garbage collection, but is this done through the Intel Raid desktop software suite itself?, or would I need to install and run the Samsung Magic software and run the clean ups etc from there, this information I do not know. Any help would be welcome. or if you do know could you point me in the right direction.
m
0
l
a c 1987 } Memory
July 11, 2013 12:37:48 PM

Should be able to put the Drivers on a USB, and yes I use the Intel ones. Win 7 supports Trim and works with the Intel divers
m
0
l
July 11, 2013 12:43:08 PM

dannyboy2233 said:
First of all, that motherboard is kind of overkill :p  Second of all, the Dominator RAM is very overpriced. I recommend grabbing Corsair Vengeance LP RAM @ 1866 MHz, as that is probably as high as you will need. However, if you are set on the Dominator, your motherboard supports up to 2400 MHz RAM, so any model of Dominator that is at or below that speed will work just fine.
In terms of physical orientation, get it in 2x8GB so that if you ever decide that you need more RAM, you an easily just throw in a couple more sticks as opposed to having to replace the whole set. 4x4GB is only worth it with quad-channel RAM, which is only available in the X79 chipset. :) 


m
0
l
July 11, 2013 12:46:45 PM

Hi there Danny Boy 2233, just looking for some help on the raid set up if you can help me, I have built lots of raid systems but this is my first time using SSD drives, read an article on Anand Tech to get the basics of how to do it and what performance boosts you can achieve, however as good as the article was, it left out some major info. I know I need the Latest Intel raid Drivers to support the raid Trim etc. on Samsung 840 pro in raid 0, what I don’t know is this. 1, do you need to install the Intel Raid driver Floppy at F6 stage of OS install which will be Win 7 Pro 64 ultimate? Or do you just use the native Microsoft one? 2, I know the latest Intel drivers support Trim and Garbage collection, but is this done through the Intel Raid desktop software suite itself?, or would I need to install and run the Samsung Magic software and run the clean ups etc from there, this information I do not know. Any help would be welcome, or if you don't know could you point me in the right direction. Cheers
m
0
l
July 12, 2013 1:42:39 PM

Tradesman1 said:
Should be able to put the Drivers on a USB, and yes I use the Intel ones. Win 7 supports Trim and works with the Intel divers


m
0
l
July 12, 2013 1:52:29 PM

Tradesman1 said:
Should be able to put the Drivers on a USB, and yes I use the Intel ones. Win 7 supports Trim and works with the Intel divers


m
0
l
July 12, 2013 2:04:26 PM

Hi Tradesman 1 thanks for your help concerning the Intel raid driver install, sorry to be a real pain in the Ass, But will I need to install the Samsung magic software as well to enable garbarge collection ect, I prefer not to install it if I can as I have read that it is a bit flaky, so will I need to install it or not to make it all work? Thank you Tradesman and DannyBoy for your help Thus Far Cheers
m
0
l
!