Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Thinking about putting together this new build. Any suggestions/comments/incompatibilities I missed are all welcome.

Last response: in Systems
Share
May 19, 2013 6:31:45 PM

Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K

GIGABYTE GV-N660OC-2GD GeForce GTX 660 2GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

(EDIT) CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9

(EDIT) ASRock Z77 Extreme3 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD128BW 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Rosewill CAPSTONE Series CAPSTONE-750 750W Continuous @ 50°C, 80 PLUS GOLD Certified

ASUS Black SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model DVD-E818AAT

COOLER MASTER Storm Scout SGC-2000-KKN1-GP Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

(EDIT) Acer G226HQLBbd Black 21.5" 5ms Widescreen LED Monitor


Thanks again for anything you guys have to say as I am a novice at putting computers together.

EDIT: Thanks for the responses guys. It is for gaming, I am not overclocking and I will follow your helpful suggestions xomm and unksol. I will post updated build soon. I am in America, price point around $1300, this build is at that price, I am shopping at newegg.

More about : thinking putting build suggestions comments incompatibilities missed

a b à CPUs
May 19, 2013 6:51:46 PM

What will you be using this build for? 32 GB of RAM is excessive for nearly all use cases.

Don't bother with Z75 motherboards - they're missing a few key things that Z77 motherboards have, namely the ability to upgrade to a dual-gpu config later on when your build starts to age.

If you have a Z75 motherboard, drop that 750W power supply down to a 500W power supply, since you won't be able to double up on the GTX 660s.

That monitor is only 900p. There are 1080p monitors out there for the exact same price or less. This Acer is cheaper, for example: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Will you be overclocking? If yes, you'll need an aftermarket cooler. <4.5GHz: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, >4.5GHz: Noctua NH-D14 or a closed loop water cooler.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
May 19, 2013 6:51:51 PM

Whats the budget? Where are the part costs? Where are you shopping? What country are you in? what are you using it for?

If it's for gaming you have a lot of balance issues.

You have an overclockable K series CPU with a z75 board that does not allow overclocking. You would either want a locked non K CPU with that board, or a a Z77 board and CPU cooler with that CPU.

You have a pretty weak GPU. At the same time you're throwing money away on RAM 8GB is more than enough for gaming. 16GB is "future proof" and just won't be used. 32GB is a waste unless you have a specific use.case (think professional high end software/VMs) that will use it. Your PSU is also massively over powered for your rig. A decent 400W could easily run that build. A 750W like that is capable of running dual 7970s.

Money going to waste on these parts could go to a.high end GPU. And/or a decent 1080p monitor
m
0
l
Related resources
May 19, 2013 7:08:58 PM

xomm said:
What will you be using this build for? 32 GB of RAM is excessive for nearly all use cases.

Don't bother with Z75 motherboards - they're missing a few key things that Z77 motherboards have, namely the ability to upgrade to a dual-gpu config later on when your build starts to age.

If you have a Z75 motherboard, drop that 750W power supply down to a 500W power supply, since you won't be able to double up on the GTX 660s.

That monitor is only 900p. There are 1080p monitors out there for the exact same price or less. This Acer is cheaper, for example: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Will you be overclocking? If yes, you'll need an aftermarket cooler. <4.5GHz: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, >4.5GHz: Noctua NH-D14 or a closed loop water cooler.


Thanks for all the suggestions. What do you guys think of the build now? I went with the monitor you suggested, xomm; dropped the memory down to 16gb for "future proofing"; and went with a Z77 mobo so I can double up on graphics cards when it starts to age. I think I will also save overclocking for when it starts to age too. Any thoughts?
m
0
l
May 19, 2013 7:12:16 PM

unksol said:
Whats the budget? Where are the part costs? Where are you shopping? What country are you in? what are you using it for?

If it's for gaming you have a lot of balance issues.

You have an overclockable K series CPU with a z75 board that does not allow overclocking. You would either want a locked non K CPU with that board, or a a Z77 board and CPU cooler with that CPU.

You have a pretty weak GPU. At the same time you're throwing money away on RAM 8GB is more than enough for gaming. 16GB is "future proof" and just won't be used. 32GB is a waste unless you have a specific use.case (think professional high end software/VMs) that will use it. Your PSU is also massively over powered for your rig. A decent 400W could easily run that build. A 750W like that is capable of running dual 7970s.

Money going to waste on these parts could go to a.high end GPU. And/or a decent 1080p monitor


*see the edits above for additional info
Is this video card going to be very much better?
EVGA SuperClocked+ 03G-P4-3663-KR GeForce GTX 660 Ti 3GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
May 19, 2013 8:40:48 PM

The 660 Ti is better, but it's not worth the money. It actually has too much power for its own good - it's held back by its 192-bit interface.
With prices the way they are, you're better off getting a HD 7870 XT ($250) or a HD 7950 w/ Boost ($300) if you want more power than a GTX 660 ($200).

In my opinion, there's no such thing as future-proofing, especially in the case of RAM. RAM prices are still recovering from a spike in prices due to shortage, and prices are only going to fall from here on. You're not going to save any money - conversely, you're losing some. Unless you do lots of video editing, use VMs, or other RAM-dependent work (NOT gaming), there's absolutely no reason to get more than 8 GB of RAM.

m
0
l
May 20, 2013 11:35:33 AM

xomm said:
The 660 Ti is better, but it's not worth the money. It actually has too much power for its own good - it's held back by its 192-bit interface.
With prices the way they are, you're better off getting a HD 7870 XT ($250) or a HD 7950 w/ Boost ($300) if you want more power than a GTX 660 ($200).

In my opinion, there's no such thing as future-proofing, especially in the case of RAM. RAM prices are still recovering from a spike in prices due to shortage, and prices are only going to fall from here on. You're not going to save any money - conversely, you're losing some. Unless you do lots of video editing, use VMs, or other RAM-dependent work (NOT gaming), there's absolutely no reason to get more than 8 GB of RAM.



Thank you, I went with the SAPPHIRE 100352-4L Radeon HD 7950 3GB GDDR5 PCI-Express Video Card with Boost ($300) that has the chip you recommended. I also think I want to try dual monitors; will this motherboard/video card support this? Also, is it worth it to get the 3770k i7 if I want to overclock using the fan you suggested.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
May 20, 2013 3:13:33 PM

noah devall said:
Thank you, I went with the SAPPHIRE 100352-4L Radeon HD 7950 3GB GDDR5 PCI-Express Video Card with Boost ($300) that has the chip you recommended. I also think I want to try dual monitors; will this motherboard/video card support this? Also, is it worth it to get the 3770k i7 if I want to overclock using the fan you suggested.


Dual monitor support is standard on all graphics cards nowadays, even integrated graphics have it.

If you're not going to be doing heavily threaded work (which gaming is not), money spent on a 3770K is money wasted. It'll perform nearly identically to the 3570K in gaming.
Share
May 20, 2013 4:13:12 PM

xomm said:
noah devall said:
Thank you, I went with the SAPPHIRE 100352-4L Radeon HD 7950 3GB GDDR5 PCI-Express Video Card with Boost ($300) that has the chip you recommended. I also think I want to try dual monitors; will this motherboard/video card support this? Also, is it worth it to get the 3770k i7 if I want to overclock using the fan you suggested.


Dual monitor support is standard on all graphics cards nowadays, even integrated graphics have it.

If you're not going to be doing heavily threaded work (which gaming is not), money spent on a 3770K is money wasted. It'll perform nearly identically to the 3570K in gaming.


Thanks so much for all of your help. You are a wonderful person to be sharing your expertise for free for all of us who are new to this field. Again thank you.
m
0
l
!