First pc $1200 ish

h3arts

Honorable
May 19, 2013
I'm going to build my own computer.. yay! I've never done it before and I need some help. I'm going to be going to school for film so I'll be editing, rendering and using visual effects etc. I'm also a hardcore gamer and want a pc to fit my needs for both. So far I think I picked out some nice parts but, it would cost approx. $2115 dollars lol. I want to spend maybe around $1200 or less maybe more idk.
These are the parts I have so far
--
cooler master haf x - full tower computer case blue
intel core i7-3770k
asus sabertooth z77 lga 1155 atx motherboard
evga geforce gtx670 2048mb
corsair dominator platinum 16gb (2x8gb) ddr3 1866mhz
wd velociraptor wd1000dhtz 1tb 3.5" sata hard drive
corsair force series gs red 480gb (6gb/s) sata 3 ssd
thermaltake toughpower grand 1050w tpg-1050m sli & crossfire x ready atx12v

Solution

Kingbob

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013
Here are two builds that I usually recommend for the $1,200 range. You can modify to fit your needs:

AMD: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Kingbob/saved/1xZC

Intel:http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Kingbob/saved/1y4g
-id probably swap the 7950 for a 670

Note: the AMD build has a much better graphics card because the build allows it.
You can also get a better case, like the HAF 922 if you want to spend a little more (both builds are a little under so you do have some room).

This would be my suggestion, at that price range:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($209.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme6 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($154.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($67.19 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB Video Card ($433.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($65.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.98 @ Outlet PC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.94 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1140.02
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-05-19 22:00 EDT-0400)

Note 1: That motherboard presently comes with 8GB of 1600mhz low profile Crucial RAM.
Note 2: The graphics card is also available on Newegg for $10 more, bundled with four games. I tend to favour the cheapest option, but if you would buy those games otherwise, it could save you quite a bit.

h3arts

Honorable
May 19, 2013
I'm really not savy with all of this, would this do well with editing and redering and effects plus pc gaming?

Ah. This is why I shouldn't skim. It would be quite functional, but for editing and rendering, the i7-3770k is usually the best option. That said, I should also note that waiting for Haswell (which launches on June 3rd) will get you more power for your money, according to present specs.

Edit: If you knock the GPU down to a Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 ($399.99), you should be able to afford an i7-3770k on there. That said, I still recommend waiting for Haswell.

h3arts

Honorable
May 19, 2013

Soooooo.. If I got with intel i7 and wait for the haswell along with the rest of your build I should be set? Also, is switching out components later on down the road like ram or the cooling system or whatever is pretty easy? I mean if a year from now I want to upgrade just my graphics card I can do so? I wouldn't have to make a new computer or anything :p would I have to reset my computer or something so I would lose all my data? Any tips would be helpful because, I'm building this whole thing completely off of suggestions.

Waiting for Haswell (and thus getting a new mobo, as Haswell is socket 1150 rather than 1155) with my build should be fine. You'd need to add RAM (I suggest 8GB of 1600mhz low profile Corsair Vengeance), and I'm not entire sure that the Hyper 212 Evo works with Haswell, but those aren't the big-ticket items. If you wait, you'd want to grab the case before Haswell drops. The 410 is on a $30 sale which will not be running by the time Haswell is released.
Adding or switching out components varies in difficulty. Adding another graphics card (which is what I would suggest, given the power of the 7970, rather than replacing it) is fairly easy, as is adding additional RAM. Cooling systems can be more complicated, depending on what kind of cooling system you're talking about.

h3arts

Honorable
May 19, 2013
Waiting for Haswell (and thus getting a new mobo, as Haswell is socket 1150 rather than 1155) with my build should be fine. You'd need to add RAM (I suggest 8GB of 1600mhz low profile Corsair Vengeance), and I'm not entire sure that the Hyper 212 Evo works with Haswell, but those aren't the big-ticket items. If you wait, you'd want to grab the case before Haswell drops. The 410 is on a $30 sale which will not be running by the time Haswell is released.
Adding or switching out components varies in difficulty. Adding another graphics card (which is what I would suggest, given the power of the 7970, rather than replacing it) is fairly easy, as is adding additional RAM. Cooling systems can be more complicated, depending on what kind of cooling system you're talking about.

------------------------------
Is there anywhere else I can ask about this build? The other forums I've been checking are.. seemingly inactive. Also, how do I compare the components to other top of the line stuff? I don't really know how to tell whether or not this stuff is good. Not that I don't trust you =P I just don't want to buy something then realize I wanted something different/better/worse/cheaper/more expensive and all that.
@@@@@@@@@@
This is what I have so far:

cooler master haf x - full tower computer case blue // intel core i7-3770k // haswell motherboard // Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive // SeaSonic S12II 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply // Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer // Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)

I don't know about the cooling system and I think I want to add 8GB of 1600mhz low profile Corsair Vengeance along with another graphics card like you said. or do I not need another graphics card now.

I tend to use this forum, so I really couldn't recommend anywhere else. However, by the time Haswell hits, it will have been long enough that you could make another post, which would likely get you more opinions.
Comparison wise, it's pretty much just looking at tonnes of benchmarks. That's what I do, anyway.

Looks like a good build (assuming that the 3770k is a standin for the Haswell version).

Well, you'll need some kind of RAM, and Corsair is a good name. The only reason my original build didn't have it was that the motherboard came with some.
You don't need two 7970s now, but it can be a good alternative to getting a new graphics card later on. That build has room for another GPU, assuming that you get a larger PSU, which staves off getting a new, more expensive card in a couple of years, slightly increasing price efficiency.
Unless you overclock heavily, you don't need a seriously powerful cooling system. A decent cooler (like the 212 Evo), and a case with good cooling (like either of the cases in thread, the 912 or the 410) is pretty much all you need for general use and light overclocking.

Solution