Sign in with
Your question

Is the 2013 iMac good for gaming? with the 680MX?

Last response: in Computer Brands
May 19, 2013 10:12:36 PM

I really want a gaming computer and i cant make my decision to go with the Falcon Northwest Tiki, The Origin Mellenium, or the 27 inch iMac. Is the iMac with 680MX equivalent to a desktop 670? Would you recommend the iMac for gaming and video editing (for fun)? Thank You! :D 
a b 4 Gaming
May 19, 2013 10:26:16 PM

i like apple products but an imac for gaming? lol i would go with the falcon northwest tiki if i had to choose from those 3. However i will start the bombardment of recommendations to build your own pc. it is a lot more bang for your buck, its not hard, and you get to choose what you want exactly.
m
l
May 19, 2013 10:32:47 PM

guitargod213 said:
i like apple products but an imac for gaming? lol i would go with the falcon northwest tiki if i had to choose from those 3. However i will start the bombardment of recommendations to build your own pc. it is a lot more bang for your buck, its not hard, and you get to choose what you want exactly.

But the new iMac has the new 680MX. Whats wrong with that? It should be very fast! and I tried taking apart a pc (an hp that has been sitting in the closet) and I messed everything up :(  haha. Should I wait for the iMac in 2014 with the 780M? oh and whats wrong with the Imac for gaming. If you install widndows via bootcamp your good to go, right?
m
l
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
May 19, 2013 10:50:43 PM

well for one, a full pledged 680 is faster than that 680mx. They had to lower the speed to copr up with the temps.

and yes, +1 to building your own. shopping and building is half of the fun :) 
it is not that hard. ask a friend to help you out (preferrably someone who knows)
it is cheaper, you get to choose your case, monitor, mouse, KB, and the internals. Apple is sooo overpriced (just like alienware, et al)

and im guessing that iMac will be hot. too cramped
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
May 19, 2013 11:06:58 PM

Not trying to sound biased or anything, but an iMac would be the worst option for gaming. The Geforce gtx 680mx is ~25% slower than the desktop version Geforce gtx 660ti. You can bet it'll be a lot slower than the desktop 670 and 680.

Money does not seem like an issue, so I would also go for the Falcon Northwest Tiki. Tom's Hardware did a cool review of it and the computer is really well made (and sports a full sized gtx 680 to boot). It has great cooling for such a small form-factor.

I agree with the others that you should try to build your own computer if you can. Don't worry too much about messing things up. Ask a friend if you need help! Also there are lots of really cool and helpful videos online. Plus its fun!
m
l
!