Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Is this enough power for 1440p gaming?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
May 19, 2013 11:58:30 PM

I'm currently running a Powercolor HD7870 MYST Edition card, overclocked to 1200 / 1600, and it can max pretty much everything at 1080p except Crysis 3, which brings my card to its knees. The MYST is using the Tahiti LE (a cut down 7900 chip) rather than the Pitcairn which is normal for 7800 cards.

In a few weeks I'll be getting both a new GPU and a new display, since my 24" monitor broke, I'm stuck using a 21.5" one, which I find a bit too small. As a result, I'll be stepping up to a 27" monitor, but I'm debating whether or not my card(s) will be able to run a 1440p monitor, or whether I should stick to a 1080p 27".

The new GPU I'm looking at is the ASUS HD7970 DirectCUII TOP Edition card, and this will be crossfired with my current 7870 (the Tahiti LE can crossfire with 7900 cards, but not 7800's.)

Will this be enough power to max games out at 1440p?

If you want to suggest another card that'd be great, my criteria are below.

Purchase Date: 4-6 weeks
Budget: ~USD$500
Usage: High-end gaming (Crysis 3, Metro Last Light, FC3, PS2, etc. etc.)
Overclocking: Yes
Current GPU: PowerColor 7870 MYST Edition
Current PSU: 750W
Preferrence: AMD
Monitor Resolution: 1080p / 1440p

Current system specs below.
CPU: Intel i7-3770K @4.5GHz
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z77
RAM: 16GB (4x4) 1866MHz
Cooling: Thermaltake Water 2.0 Extreme
Case: BitFenix Shinobi XL

Thanks guys!

EDIT: Added budget.

More about : power 1440p gaming

May 20, 2013 12:04:42 AM

if u r gonna crossfire u r good to go
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
May 20, 2013 12:07:04 AM

By Crossfiring with your 7870 Myst, your effectively holding your 7970 back. If your going to re-use it, would just go for another 7870 Myst.

With a single 7970 you could get a decent FPS with med-max settings at 1440p.
m
0
l
Related resources
May 20, 2013 12:21:15 AM

manofchalk said:
By Crossfiring with your 7870 Myst, your effectively holding your 7970 back. If your going to re-use it, would just go for another 7870 Myst.

With a single 7970 you could get a decent FPS with med-max settings at 1440p.


Sorry, why would it be holding it back?
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
May 20, 2013 12:29:58 AM

Sixsixx said:
manofchalk said:
By Crossfiring with your 7870 Myst, your effectively holding your 7970 back. If your going to re-use it, would just go for another 7870 Myst.

With a single 7970 you could get a decent FPS with med-max settings at 1440p.


Sorry, why would it be holding it back?


In a CrossFire, all cards are throttled down to match the weakest card. Thus, a 7870 Myst and a 7970 Ghz. Edition function the same way as two 7870 Mysts.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
May 20, 2013 12:52:46 AM

Basically what Revenant said, all the cards in a Crossfire/SLI array are put to the same level of performance for stability reasons. So the 7870 Myst will hold your 7970 back to its performance.
m
0
l
May 20, 2013 5:27:15 AM

Jack Revenant said:
Sixsixx said:
manofchalk said:
By Crossfiring with your 7870 Myst, your effectively holding your 7970 back. If your going to re-use it, would just go for another 7870 Myst.

With a single 7970 you could get a decent FPS with med-max settings at 1440p.


Sorry, why would it be holding it back?


In a CrossFire, all cards are throttled down to match the weakest card. Thus, a 7870 Myst and a 7970 Ghz. Edition function the same way as two 7870 Mysts.


I see. So would the single 7970 DCII TOP be better than two 7870 MYST's?
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
May 20, 2013 5:31:15 AM

Suspect not if your judging on pure GPU grunt, but the 3GB of VRAM and wider memory bus on the 7970 could be an important factor when playing at such a large resolution.

Most I can suggest you do is have a look through 7870 Crossfire reviews, no doubt there will be a comparison to a 7970 in them.
m
0
l
!