So...my first pc build works awesomely but...

New to building, put my rig together about a month ago. Has worked great but I still cannot access the BIOS. I haven't registered my MOBO yet because I left the box at my parents house. Could that be the issue? Literally no other problems. Was looking forward to over locking but I know that wont work without access to BIOS.

My build:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard
Memory: corsair vengeance 2 x 4GB
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 XT 2GB Video Card
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
9 answers Last reply
More about build works awesomely
  1. Budget please
    Lol dont say in a public forum that you pirate the os.

    W8 not worth it


    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($119.99 @ Amazon)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Motherboard: Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($63.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($55.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($67.19 @ Outlet PC)
    Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($309.99 @ NCIX US)
    Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (Gunmetal/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Rosewill Fortress 750W 80 PLUS Platinum Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $867.11
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-05-20 03:49 EDT-0400)
  2. Marcopolo123 said:
    Budget please
    Lol dont say in a public forum that you pirate the os.

    W8 not worth it


    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($119.99 @ Amazon)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Motherboard: Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($63.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($55.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($67.19 @ Outlet PC)
    Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($309.99 @ NCIX US)
    Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (Gunmetal/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Rosewill Fortress 750W 80 PLUS Platinum Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $867.11
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-05-20 03:49 EDT-0400)


    Didn't he say he has already built the rig a month ago? :P also Windows 8 has turned out to be pretty decent in my opinion. Though I got it for $30 back when it launched so I'm happy with it. Wouldn't pay $300 for it though. If you want a real (not pirated) OS, you should still get Windows 7 because 8 is too damn expensive at the moment.

    To the OP:

    First of all welcome to the wonderful world of building your own computer!

    Registering the motherboard doesn't matter when accessing BIOS. I have almost the same motherboard as you (M5A99X EVO) from Asus and I still haven't registered it. Have had it for one and a half year now.

    How have you tried accessing the BIOS? For me it works just by pressing Delete when you start up the computer. Should look something like this:



    You can do overclocking from the operating system as well with third party programs or using Asus' own AI Suite II.

    You'll most likely find it from the support page of your motherboard: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M5A97_R20/#support_Download

    Also pirated copy shouldn't affect your access to BIOS (please correct me if I'm wrong someone).

    Please tell us more about what have you tried already so we can go from there :)
  3. Marcopolo123 said:
    Budget please
    Lol dont say in a public forum that you pirate the os.

    W8 not worth it


    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($119.99 @ Amazon)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Motherboard: Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($63.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($55.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($67.19 @ Outlet PC)
    Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($309.99 @ NCIX US)
    Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (Gunmetal/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Rosewill Fortress 750W 80 PLUS Platinum Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $867.11
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-05-20 03:49 EDT-0400)


    I agree that admitting to using a pirated OS in a public forum is...more than a bit unwise, shall we say.

    However, he wasn't asking for build advice. He was asking about his inability to access his BIOS (for reference, OP, I have no idea).

    Edit: jappe beat me to it. I need to get faster in my responses.
  4. Lol sry didnt read
  5. When I start my pc it shows that in order to access BIOS press del of f2. When I press either it takes me to a black screen and I have to restart my computer. I've also tried asus boot setup and it restarts my pc and takes me to a black screen as well. I've also tried updating bios through ai suite II but it says that my environment is updated.
  6. Have you tried resetting the BIOS? By moving the jumper on the motherboard. Here's the part in the motherboards manual:

    http://www.manualslib.com/manual/414970/Asus-M5a97-R2-0-User-Manual.html?page=33
  7. jappe66 said:
    Have you tried resetting the BIOS? By moving the jumper on the motherboard. Here's the part in the motherboards manual:

    http://www.manualslib.com/manual/414970/Asus-M5a97-R2-0-User-Manual.html?page=33


    I did try that and it didn't change anything. Also removed the battery on the MOBO.
  8. Have you contacted Asus support? It could be a hardware problem too.
  9. jappe66 said:
    Have you contacted Asus support? It could be a hardware problem too.


    I haven't yet, but I might be heading in that direction
Ask a new question

Read More

BIOS Build Systems