Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

System Won't Boot! Need Help ASAP i have an assignment due tomorrow!

Last response: in Systems
Share
May 20, 2013 1:58:22 AM

Today I started up my computer and went to finish an assignment and the computer worked fine for 30mins and then shut down no warning. there was a burning smell from the psu and it won't start up it just runs all fans and lights for a few seconds and shuts down again.

Specs are -
i7-2600 (no overclock)
16gb DDR3 - G.SKILL RAM
2TB Seagate HDD
AMD Raedon HD5550 - 1GB (Gigabyte)
GA-Z77-UD5H-WB rev. 1.0 MotherBoard
Aywun-A1-5000 500W PSU

Any Help would be greatly appreciated
May 20, 2013 2:05:03 AM

That psu probably burned out, you need a new one. One more reason to never cheap out on PSU's. I would recommend something like a Corsair CX430 for your system.
m
0
l
May 20, 2013 2:26:26 AM

Aywun-A1-5000 500W PSU < this, change it as aatje92 said

i will mark this thread as an example how bad PSU can destroy the PC

fortunately, in ur case, it is the psu itself that is burned. other ppl might have the whole component damaged
m
0
l
Related resources
May 20, 2013 2:29:57 AM

Yeah, new PSU. If you're lucky, it won't have burned out anything else.

Antec, be-quiet, Corsair, PCP&C, SeaSonic, or XFX. Probably about 400W+ (that build, with that GPU, would be very frugal).
m
0
l
May 20, 2013 2:56:37 AM

Someone Somewhere said:
Yeah, new PSU. If you're lucky, it won't have burned out anything else.

Antec, be-quiet, Corsair, PCP&C, SeaSonic, or XFX. Probably about 400W+ (that build, with that GPU, would be very frugal).

is their anyway I can test the other components at all? smells, anything like that.
is a Corsair VS650 ok or should I go with the TS650

m
0
l
May 20, 2013 3:00:03 AM

Both fine.

Borrow a friend's PSU for half an hour, or try the paper clip test.
m
0
l
May 23, 2013 3:11:49 AM

sorry about taking so long to reply i have tested a different power supplie in the pc and i still get the same outcome. i have ran it as bare bones system psu,cpu,mobo and ram and still the same. the light that signals which bios is getting used keeps switching could that be a problem. my physics teacher seems to think that the cpu or motherboard might not be working or that it could be as simple as the cpu is not seated but i have had a look and it is seated correctly but the cpu heatsink does not sit one of it feet the whole way in but the rest fit perfectly
m
0
l
May 23, 2013 4:58:26 AM

Or maybe that faulty PSU burned out your mobo / CPU / GPU / RAM. This is a really good example about how you should never cheap out on PSU's.
m
0
l
!