£900 GBP Gaming Build Help.

Sladez8

Honorable
Apr 22, 2013
Hey guys my brother wants a gaming PC to play Arma 3 DayZ & BF3 on Medium/High Settings with 60+FPS.

Budget £900 GBP.

Parts He Needs
Case
CPU
GPU
PSU
HDD
MOBO
RAM
CPU COOLER

Note He has Already got an SSD 120GB and OS Windows 8 64it

Any help would be great Thanks guys.

Here's my pitch:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£166.99 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£26.81 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£101.99 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£51.99 @ Dabs)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£45.98 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB Video Card (£343.30 @ Amazon UK)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£84.95 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£75.97 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £897.98
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-05-20 23:11 BST+0100)

Note: He may want to wait for Haswell, and the 4670k.

Solution

Um... mate, that build is 1, over budget, 2, from American sites, and 3, stuffed to the gills with overpriced, unneeded components. You don't need (or even benefit from) an i7-3770k in gaming, Dominator RAM isn't useful in the first place, much less 16GB of it, he doesn't need that much case for this kind of build, you have a really weak GPU relative to overall cost, and that PSU is from an untrustworthy brand.

marshallbradley

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
@Jack I think it's a troll... Can't really tell though.

@OP Jack's build is solid as ever, wouldn't change a thing. Shame Gigabyte's UD3H is more expensive in the UK, but it is what it is. If you want to max out the budget (not that you need to, for the price it's the perfect build, but maybe there's £70 burning a hole in your pocket), perhaps get a Noctua NH-D14 for some killer overclocks, a CD drive just in case he wants to watch a non-illegal movie some day and/or the Gigabyte Z77X UD3H as previously mentioned for much, much better VRM and a more solid PCB. There's a Reddit thread over here about why people should stop recommending the Extreme4. I don't think it's trying to say that it's a bad motherboard at all (I have one myself which I am more than happy with, though the bad voltage reporting is a tad annoying), but for the price you can do better. Granted this is more for the American market where the Extreme4 is the same/more than the UD3H, which isn't the case across the pond.

Otherwise looks like a killer build at a great price, and your brother is set to rock some games!

M

I dearly hope it's a troll, but, horrifyingly, he has 7 best answers.

Thank you kindly. I thought about adding an SSD, but I tend to focus on game performance before quality of life parts. Consider my builds the ratrods of computers: uncomfortable and ugly, but very functional.

Nikolay Savov

Distinguished

That`s you point :)
I`v just posted my personal taste
I prefer silent systems - the one you can`t hear the difference when you brows the web or you game 1-2 hrs
And for the "from American sites" i just used this config. web to be more easy to post the configuration and where he decide to order is a completely different thing

I agree that you have managed to offer more correct to the target config and is great that you`s and Sladez8 taste are close :)

marshallbradley

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
@Jack Yeah I actually edited my answer after that, cause it turns out I didn't read well enough, and his brother already has an SSD! I just made recommendations for if he wanted to spend the full amount, but like I said, for £830 it's already amazing so he doesn't really need to.

@Nikolay Savov If you want silence (which is great, I love silence) you still don't need to spend anywhere near as much on the setup. I question some of your choices as well, since they don't really seem to be optimized for "silence". The Corsair SP120s for example, are known to be very noisy fans. The H100i is not quiet at all, as shown by this review. 45 dB vs. the 28 dB of the Noctua, that is a MASSIVE difference in noise, since it's logarithmic. Not only is your power supply a bad unit quality wise, it's again very loud! I suspect your intentions are good, but you've put together a terrible build, which is way over budget, that isn't even quiet at all, and has a dodgy power supply.

What would the OP gain from spending $350 on an Asus Maximus, vs. $125 on a Gigabyte-U3DH? How do you justify that extra $225, which could be used on a better video card? I basically ask myself this question about every part of your build, why $180 RAM, when there are better, $100 kits available? It really makes very little sense.

Finally, about the fact that your build is from US stores, you say he can just look on UK sites, why not just make/link your build on the UK version of PCPartPicker instead: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/ This hints that haven't read the original post to know the requirements of the build, or you don't care enough about giving the OP a decent build to link it in a form that's actually useful to him. You don't even have to remake the build, you can just transfer it from one form to the other...

M

Wow. I actually forgot that he had an SSD. I think that I may be responding to too many threads at a given time. Thank you very much for that link, by the way. I tend to advocate the Extreme4, so that's really relevant to me.

Also, +1 on everything directed at Nikolay. That build isn't optimized for anything other than expenditure.

Nikolay Savov

Distinguished

Agree on you both - i did`t put so much efforts in this build and price goal and about the specs there are some parts i can`t find in the config web list so i was using what i tough is close to my taste :)
And for the web I was filtered the parts by the Rating wich is not the price i see now :)

The notes and the comments are well accepted !
After all custom Build is not my day job focus is more like hobby now :)

Okay, this is going to sound harsh, but please don't do that. When people ask for advice on this forum, they are, in effect, trusting us with their money. They're trusting us to make good, price-efficient recommendations. If you're not going to take a build seriously, please do not post a suggestion at all. You could lose someone a lot of money that way.

Nikolay Savov

Distinguished
OK m`r i got you point :)
Here is my refined build - regarding that there is best solution yet !
http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Niksavoy/saved/1CQA

CPU - Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor £166.99
CPU Cooler - Arctic Cooling UCACO-AP11301-BUA01 Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler £7.38
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard £69.59
Memory - GeIL EVO CORSA Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory £59.26
Storage - Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive £45.98
Video Card - Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card £312.10
Case - Enermax Hoplite ST ATX Mid Tower Case £77.99
Power Supply - SeaSonic M12II 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply £89.99
Base Total: £829.28
Shipping: £7.74
Total: £837.02

I put some effort in this one - and the price is OK - there are room for low dB FAN`s for system cooling and 7970 will need some :)
And OFC it`s same like the Best solution one - fare enough !
PEACE !

Thank you kindly. That build looks much better, though I would still consider mine to be the best option.