i5 3550 low budget motherboard

felkine

Honorable
May 21, 2012
Hey guys I have a couple of questions that I hope you can help me with.
First i decided to buy an i5 3550 to replace my old cpu,but now I also have to buy a new motherboard that supports it. Can you recommend me some cheap mobo's (or at least tell me how to recognize them among so many) that will run that cpu right out of the box without the need for flashing it and all that.
Second, when changing the cpu and motherboard do I need to format my hdd and reinstall windows?
And lastly, will my ddr3 1333mhz ram work with the i5 that supports 1600mhz ram? I know ram is cheap but being a student with no income it was already hard enough to spare money for the cpu.
Thanks

Windows doesn't necessarily needs to be reinstalled. We can't answer that question unless the OP provides more info about the old motherboard.

Kindredsouls

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
GhislainG is technically correct, Windows doesn't Have to be reinstalled but I would highly recommend it. It will be a lot more stable with a reinstall after changing to a different model motherboard. I experimented twice with changing motherboards but not reinstalling Windows 7 and it worked for the most part on one occasion. It would sometimes Blue Screen on a few games. On my other instance it worked perfectly for a month or so the it would crash after running for a few hours. Even after updating drivers for everything. After doing clean installs of Windows, in both cases, all the problems went away.

Fulgurant

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2012

Yeah, better to do it now, when you've planned to spend the time, than to feel suddenly that you have to do it later, when you may or may not have time to spare.