Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Should I remove processor from the motherboard?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
May 21, 2013 8:18:53 AM

First sorry for the wall of text! Please read, thank you.
Well today I posted a thread about water that spilled into my PC while it was working. When that happened I unplugged the PC from power and opened it. It seemed that a little water went on the motherboard and on the CPU. Also there was some drops near gpu and PSU (thank God my PSU is closed and protected from top side and the only way water could get into it is from bellow). Well after that I removed the fan from the CPU and cleaned it with cloth and with hair dryer, I cleaned the mobo and the water that was on GPU, case and near PSU. After like 30 minutes I turned on PC and it worked well, only thing is that I notice in HWMonitor is that TMPIN2 temp and CPU core temps are high and vary too much. I think the thermal paste got damaged but I want to check if something happened to my CPU, is it damaged, so should I remove it from the mobo?
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
May 21, 2013 8:22:46 AM

Your diagnosis is correct... Mostly.

- If CPU powers on and functions fine as you say; it is not damaged.
- This definitely sounds like your thermal paste or something cooling related to the paste, cooler, or water on the board.

- Feel free to remove the CPU and cooler and just reseat and repaste EVERYTHING. Also clean the board around the CPU thoroughly. Water doesnt work very well as thermal paste, so get all of it away from the CPU.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
May 21, 2013 8:25:10 AM

You removed the Heatsink and fan from the CPU correct?

Anytime you do this you should re apply new thermal grease. You most likely have pockets of air and spaces that aren't seated properly and it's giving you the temps.

Be very careful using a hair dryer. You can generate a lot of static electricity and ruin parts. In the event of water I have found that Rice is the best to use. Let it soak it up and sit it in the sun for a day or two. Then use compressed air to clean everything out good.

But since you've got it taken care of try re applying the thermal grease. Look up "Pea Method" apply it accordingly and see if it doesn't fix your heat issue.
m
0
l
Related resources
May 21, 2013 8:34:14 AM

unoriginal1 said:
You removed the Heatsink and fan from the CPU correct?

Anytime you do this you should re apply new thermal grease. You most likely have pockets of air and spaces that aren't seated properly and it's giving you the temps.

Be very careful using a hair dryer. You can generate a lot of static electricity and ruin parts. In the event of water I have found that Rice is the best to use. Let it soak it up and sit it in the sun for a day or two. Then use compressed air to clean everything out good.

But since you've got it taken care of try re applying the thermal grease. Look up "Pea Method" apply it accordingly and see if it doesn't fix your heat issue.

Yes I did remove the cooler from the CPU. I guess I will reapply the thermal paste when I get it. But what is that TMPIN2 on HWMonitor? Some people say it's north bridge but why is that heating?
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
May 21, 2013 8:36:51 AM

stefan37 said:
unoriginal1 said:
You removed the Heatsink and fan from the CPU correct?

Anytime you do this you should re apply new thermal grease. You most likely have pockets of air and spaces that aren't seated properly and it's giving you the temps.

Be very careful using a hair dryer. You can generate a lot of static electricity and ruin parts. In the event of water I have found that Rice is the best to use. Let it soak it up and sit it in the sun for a day or two. Then use compressed air to clean everything out good.

But since you've got it taken care of try re applying the thermal grease. Look up "Pea Method" apply it accordingly and see if it doesn't fix your heat issue.

Yes I did remove the cooler from the CPU. I guess I will reapply the thermal paste when I get it. But what is that TMPIN2 on HWMonitor? Some people say it's north bridge but why is that heating?


It's not always necessariy the Northbridge. Whatever it is though, whether it's on-die or not, either thermal paste isnt applied enough (if it's on-die), or water is insulating the heat it's producing.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
May 21, 2013 8:38:50 AM

elemein said:
stefan37 said:
unoriginal1 said:
You removed the Heatsink and fan from the CPU correct?

Anytime you do this you should re apply new thermal grease. You most likely have pockets of air and spaces that aren't seated properly and it's giving you the temps.

Be very careful using a hair dryer. You can generate a lot of static electricity and ruin parts. In the event of water I have found that Rice is the best to use. Let it soak it up and sit it in the sun for a day or two. Then use compressed air to clean everything out good.

But since you've got it taken care of try re applying the thermal grease. Look up "Pea Method" apply it accordingly and see if it doesn't fix your heat issue.

Yes I did remove the cooler from the CPU. I guess I will reapply the thermal paste when I get it. But what is that TMPIN2 on HWMonitor? Some people say it's north bridge but why is that heating?


It's not always necessariy the Northbridge. Whatever it is though, whether it's on-die or not, either thermal paste isnt applied enough (if it's on-die), or water is insulating the heat it's producing.


Agreed.

You might want to take the ENTIRE system out. Mobo and all and try bread boarding it on a piece of cardboard. There might be condensation under the board that your not seeing. Make sure everything is dry before attempting to turn it on again. Could be you have just gotten lucky.
Share
May 21, 2013 8:54:48 AM

unoriginal1 said:
elemein said:
stefan37 said:
unoriginal1 said:
You removed the Heatsink and fan from the CPU correct?

Anytime you do this you should re apply new thermal grease. You most likely have pockets of air and spaces that aren't seated properly and it's giving you the temps.

Be very careful using a hair dryer. You can generate a lot of static electricity and ruin parts. In the event of water I have found that Rice is the best to use. Let it soak it up and sit it in the sun for a day or two. Then use compressed air to clean everything out good.

But since you've got it taken care of try re applying the thermal grease. Look up "Pea Method" apply it accordingly and see if it doesn't fix your heat issue.

Yes I did remove the cooler from the CPU. I guess I will reapply the thermal paste when I get it. But what is that TMPIN2 on HWMonitor? Some people say it's north bridge but why is that heating?


It's not always necessariy the Northbridge. Whatever it is though, whether it's on-die or not, either thermal paste isnt applied enough (if it's on-die), or water is insulating the heat it's producing.


Agreed.

You might want to take the ENTIRE system out. Mobo and all and try bread boarding it on a piece of cardboard. There might be condensation under the board that your not seeing. Make sure everything is dry before attempting to turn it on again. Could be you have just gotten lucky.


Well thanks for help. I guess I'll apply the thermal paste on CPU and where it is needed. And yes I was lucky that my PC didn't die from that water surge :D 
m
0
l
May 21, 2013 3:31:25 PM

Oh guys 1 more question. Can motherboard and CPU corrode/get rusty? I've read somewhere that if water was spilled it should get cleaned with alcohol to prevent future corrosion. But my motherboard is new and it didn't get wet on whole, only a little. My mobo is GB z77x ud3h and CPU is i5 3570k. Can they corrode?
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
May 21, 2013 4:37:39 PM

stefan37 said:
Oh guys 1 more question. Can motherboard and CPU corrode/get rusty? I've read somewhere that if water was spilled it should get cleaned with alcohol to prevent future corrosion. But my motherboard is new and it didn't get wet on whole, only a little. My mobo is GB z77x ud3h and CPU is i5 3570k. Can they corrode?


If you removed the water thoroughly, then the damage isnt a big deal. Yes they can corrode, but it takes much more than just a quick splash of water with a thorough cleaning quickly afterwards.

m
0
l
May 22, 2013 2:52:31 AM

Well I used cloth and wiped it and used hairdryer a little (didn't know it shouldn't be used) and now I left the PC aside I guess that was through enough. Well I hope they won't corrode thanks alot!
m
0
l
!